Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Question for those of you with 351w and oval air cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

Question for those of you with 351w and oval air cleaners.

I'm just about ready for paint and as I have previously stated, I would like to go with the oval air cleaner and matching valve covers. If you are running a similar setup could you post the following information...

Motor mounts used
    Intake manifold used
    Carb used
    Spacer size if applicable
    Filter element size
    Did you have to modify the body any to make it fit?

Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    It fit, but not much to spare. A 427w, (351w Dart block) with the standard FFR supplied Energy Suspensions motor mounts and trans mount, a 7/8 inch spacer for the trans mount, Edelbrock Performer RPM 7181, Dual Plane, Aluminum intake, Holley 750 CFM, 0-76750RD carburetor. There is a spacer for the air cleaner, but don't know exactly how high, 1/2 inch I think. It's to get the air cleaner off of the Summit Racing Sum 850312-1 distributor. I think the air cleaner is the standard 1 1/2 inch element, with the assembled air cleaner measuring 2.1 inches thick. These are the best pictures I got.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks boat..

Post Thanks / Like
    Only question is carb spacer. Are you running anything. My tristar performance 351w came with a carb spacer! Did you use one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Only question is carb spacer. Are you running anything. My tristar performance 351w came with a carb spacer! Did you use one
    At first I thought so, but it's just the carb flange. So, no. No carb spacer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the same setup as boat737. No spacer under the carb but there is a spacer on top of the carb for the air cleaner to set on to gain clearance for the distributor. I could not gap my hood until I cut the hood scoop hole due to clearance issues. Air cleaner sets up in the scoop just barely.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 351, now 408 with the standard Energy suspension mounts. Running an Edelbrock Victor jr intake and a Fast EZ EFI 2.0. On the base I had a shop mill off most of the flange that meets with the carb or throttle body. This dropped the air cleaner assembly about a half inch. I am running a slightly taller KN air cleaner for more airflow bit it clears the body with plenty of room. I'm running an MSD dist and it clears the plug wires with ease. I have pictures but PB is holding them ransome so I need to find another host for all my pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally the problem is actually the distributor cap/wires. The tall ones force the use of a spacer on top of the carb which raises the air cleaner.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    So a spacer, whether it be on the bottom or the top of the carb should not create much issue if my distributor is low enough. Correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    So a spacer, whether it be on the bottom or the top of the carb should not create much issue if my distributor is low enough. Correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Right. And, if you have a choice, put a spacer under the carb for heat insulation vs on top.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat737 What type of transmission are you running.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Boat737 What type of transmission are you running.?
    TKO600 with a 7/8 inch spacer at the mount for drive line alignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I'm got the motor, transmission in and I have no idea how to align it to the rear axle . I'm running a 351w TKO 600 and Lincoln Mark VIII IRS axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Thanks I'm got the motor, transmission in and I have no idea how to align it to the rear axle . I'm running a 351w TKO 600 and Lincoln Mark VIII IRS axle
    I have no experience with IRS, but from reading the threads, I think you'll need a spacer for the trans mount. Look at EdwardB's 20th aniv. build. Post 255 I think. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...y-build-9.html

There are a few good threads on drive line alignment. I use the google search like "site:http://thefactoryfiveforum.com pinion angle" or "site:http://ffcars.com driveshaft alignment" or whatever search term you want.
    Last edited by boat737; 07-10-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks boat737 your google search link resulted in a good read.

Post Thanks / Like
    My carb spacer is under the carb. I too have approximately 7/8" spacers for the tko500 that I am running.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same situation when I was building my Mk4 except I was building a "street" version with no hood scoop. I had found an old article in Car Craft magazine where they tested 20+ intake manifolds and one of the specs they mention was the height of the manifold. I ended up installing an Edelbrock single plane Torker manifold which was quite a bit shorter than the others. As it turns out, I did have to put a spacer under the carb so the oval air cleaner would clear the distributor cap but everything fit under the hood with about 1/2" clearance. Engine is a 410W with the poly engine mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been running the oval air cleaner with my 427w for a few years and I always wanted to get the bigger filter but I had no room at the rear where it goes under the body. I had to put in a spacer to get it over the distributor and that took up even more space.

I finally decided to try a 5 degree carburetor wedge spacer.
    It worked so well I felt compelled to update this thread.
    I picked up over an inch in the front (over the distributor) and rear (under the body)

It runs so much better with taller filter that whatever concerns I had about the 5 degrees are irrelevant.

Also, I was worried that it would look funny but it actually looks better with its chin up a bit.

CARBURETOR WEDGE PLATE, 5 DEGREE https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000CON2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

These pics are with the S&B 2.5" filter (w-2250-06) that would not fit before.
    I will likely go up the the 3" K&N next since there is so much room left.

Last edited by RRussellTx; 05-27-2022 at 04:39 PM.

20. Likes Railroad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great solution. I also like the white treatment to the sheet metal. Painted? Powdercoated?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CP82AERO View Post
    Great solution. I also like the white treatment to the sheet metal. Painted? Powdercoated?
    Thanks!

It is powder coated from Factory Five.
    It is one of the 20th Anniversary cars and the white panels was part of that package.
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...ster-revealed/