Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Orange or Black???

Post Thanks / Like

Orange or Black???

Believe it or not, we're making progress. I know what you're thinking: yeah, right. What planet are you on? Really. We're on track to install Mr. Coyote next weekend. But first... I want to get the harnesses/bundles that need to go through the transmission tunnel in place while I still have room to work. So my buddy Dan and I were looking through all three documents: FFR manual, Coyote install manual, and the Ford controls pack instructions.

I have two options for the connection to the battery. (At least from what we can determine) The FFR documentation would indicate that the orange cable is the clear choice. The Ford documentation, on the other hand, would indicate that the "black cable" is the winner.

So, for those of you who have a Coyote, or just have an opinion irrespective of your choice of engine, which am I going to choose: orange (FFR) or black (Ford)? Left to my own devices, I'll go with the black one. Just checking...

Oh, btw, the battery will be located in a battery box (FFMetal) in the trunk.

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the gauges different? You will want a beefy wire to run from the trunk to the engine. I think some guys have 4 gauge and the FF one if I recall correctly is not as robust. Not an expert on this as my battery is in my engine compartment, hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with convention. The + wire should be red, and the - wire should be black. If you don't like to see the red cable, put it in black wire loom.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the wire provided with the coyote control pack.
    Granted, I did the engine mounted battery.
    That one has both the positive and ground in the loom.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Believe it or not, we're making progress. I know what you're thinking: yeah, right. What planet are you on? Really. We're on track to install Mr. Coyote next weekend. But first... I want to get the harnesses/bundles that need to go through the transmission tunnel in place while I still have room to work. So my buddy Dan and I were looking through all three documents: FFR manual, Coyote install manual, and the Ford controls pack instructions.

I have two options for the connection to the battery. (At least from what we can determine) The FFR documentation would indicate that the orange cable is the clear choice. The Ford documentation, on the other hand, would indicate that the "black cable" is the winner.

So, for those of you who have a Coyote, or just have an opinion irrespective of your choice of engine, which am I going to choose: orange (FFR) or black (Ford)? Left to my own devices, I'll go with the black one. Just checking...

Oh, btw, the battery will be located in a battery box (FFMetal) in the trunk.

You can use whichever one you like, remember that the pigtail coming of the end of the cable in the photo in the top coil of wires has to have battery power and ground for the fuse box. FWIW, I use the red wire from the battery to the fuse link mounted behind the firewall, then run the pigtail to the fuse link and ground, then to the fuse box.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63