Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Cup holders?

Post Thanks / Like

Cup holders?

What has been done in the past for cup holders, and where do I get them

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the small one's from Watson's Streetworks. Stainless. They have aluminum as well I believe. They also have lighted one's that look pretty cool. Come in 3 different sizes. Eddy Marine also has them in stainless I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice Work & I Love The "Oh Crap Handles" that You've Installed For Your Passengers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Nice Work & I Love The "Oh Crap Handles" that You've Installed For Your Passengers!
    Thanks. Those were certainly a "hemming and hawing" project as to if, where, and how to mount them, as were the cup holders, as are most things on the car at this point. I have a slightly bigger handle that I got for the dash on the passenger side, still hemming and hawing whether I need to put it on now. Probably will. I sure don't want the windshield to be used as the "Oh Crap" handle.
    Last edited by boat737; 07-09-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing on the cup holders. At first I was going to use some big shrink tube to hold the cup holder in the hole. It would have worked, but I ended up using plastic edge trim from McMaster, https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3863/=18f7uk4 #8500K74 ). With the size hole I cut, it allows the cup holder to just barely slide in with enough friction that it is held in very nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Cup holders were one thing that I really resisted for a looong time, until Keysergogo on the other forum posted about his magnetic solution, and it was perfect timing for me.

This is a solution that totally works and there are no cup holders to be seen until they are needed. My write up is here: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...glove-box.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Something to consider:
    I initially installed the smaller SS version cup-holders and soon discovered the only thing they would hold is a can and the smallest diameter water bottles. This ruled out most normal size water bottles and my favorite thermal coffee cup (also my new iPhone-6).
    After 2 summers of these limitations, I bit the bullet and bought slightly larger aluminum versions (also a little deeper). I carefully measured, mounted the tranny cover to a piece of wood as a backer, and carefully re-drilled larger holes from the bottom-side with a hole saw and was able to do this without removing the carpet. New holders fit perfectly and tight.
    One other thing to consider, the holders will get significantly warm, so your cool drink will not last long.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    CupholdersPlus has a console with 2 cupholders in that will fit the Mk4. Got one in mine. It's called the BD Drinkster Narrow Bench Seat Console Shorty. Had to modify the back to fit up against the rear bulkhead angle. Not to difficult. Works well plus you get an armrest. Still room in front of the shifter for panic handles too.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw some that would swing out from under the dash. When I get that far along, I hope to be able to find, purchase and use them. I know I will need the cup holders and do want to leave the console clean.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    These are the small one's from Watson's Streetworks. Stainless. They have aluminum as well I believe. They also have lighted one's that look pretty cool. Come in 3 different sizes. Eddy Marine also has them in stainless I think.
    Not to hijack this thread but BRAVO on the "oh s...t" handles. Very nice idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine from Discount Poker Supplies. I used the medium stainless steel ones.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine at summit racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Something to consider: ...the holders will get significantly warm, so your cool drink will not last long.
    Researching cup holders for my build. Good point about heat transfer. So, I'll install holders wide enough to accommodate a Yeti insulated cup holder (3 1/8" diameter).
    Art

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a set of these under the dash:

https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...out-cupholder/

The hole in the Breeze dash support was perfect mounting spot.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a larger black plastic cup holder . Holds my contigo cup holder 2B4067E9-073F-4AE4-9CCA-10A596BC028C.jpeg works great

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option - build a small console and put the cupholders in the back. These are 2-3/4in in diameter and hold small size water bottles or a couple of sippee cups of that size.

A66191EE-2562-4640-8A36-5A80523A0DC6.jpeg

Pros:
    - No heat issues
    - Nice elbow rest even with a cup or water bottle present

Cons: Possibly not as accessible as cupholders up front. I wait until stopped before I take a swig - I could easily see myself swerving all over the place when reaching for a drink while moving.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

17. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure they fit whatever cup you typically use. I looked at a few that were too big which could result in a cup in the footwell on a hard right turn. Not a sutuation you want.

I used "Poker table cup holders" from ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    Another option - build a small console and put the cupholders in the back.
    RJD, I'm looking for that black push button finger grip you have on the rear box, but for my glovebox. Where'd you get it?
    Art

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Theshandman View Post
    RJD, I'm looking for that black push button finger grip you have on the rear box, but for my glovebox. Where'd you get it?
    Art
    It came with the marine glovebox I installed as a cubby access. Looks like WalMart carries them though.

82C9F9CA-F199-4625-8B54-98E7A71F2671.jpeg

West Marine too:

18FD9916-4DA6-48C7-A9D9-E9756D34E0AA.jpeg
    Last edited by RJD; 09-12-2022 at 05:18 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this on Amazon...Cubby with drink.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with marine cup holders from Amazon. They seem to fit just about anything you can throw at them, also work good for a cell phone holder.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuanhe-Stainl...jaz10cnVl&th=1

Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    I found what might be a decent solution right under my own nose. The centre seat/armrest in my 2013 F150 has a slide out cup holder that could maybe work.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.