Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Breeze Quick Release Steering Hub

Post Thanks / Like

Breeze Quick Release Steering Hub

Just wondering if anyone else with no too much machine shop experience has installed one of these hubs. I read thru the 4 pages of instructions, and understand the welding of the spline to the shaft pretty well. But the lining up of the wheel to the hub has me worried that if I screw it up I end up with a piece of junk.

Second question, is there perhaps an organization that I could contract to do the hub drilling and tapping if I supply the parts. I have two steering wheels so I could ship one out now, and then the second one later after the transition.

I don't have a drill press nor anything that resembles a machine shop.

Bob
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    McWho,

I installed a Jegs quick release since neither of the Factory Five steering wheels fits my hand very well.
    We clocked it where it was straight ahead, marked with a good deep scratch, and brought it to a shop to have it tig welded.

Hub
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...60722/10002/-1

Current Steering Wheel (Car Will Be Red)
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/692/10002/-1

Middle of Video Shows Quick Release With Old Wheel
    https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

It sure makes getting in and out of the car easier, plus I plan to take the wheel with me when I drive to work on those fair weather days.
    Breeze makes great parts so buy the quick release if your F-5 steering wheel fits your hand.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-09-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine and it was fairly straight forward. Mark has good instructions and I did have a drill press. Mark even supplies the correct size drill for the tap. You might be able to do with a hand drill if you can hold the hub well. I'd start with a 3/32" drill as a pilot and work up from there to the final size. A drill press is really handy. Small one can usually be had for a $100 bucks or less if you buy a second hand one off Kijiji. The QR hub works great BTW. Scott
    New Dash 028.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed one and have both a wood and leather wheel so I mounted both of them.
    First off, like you I was a little unsure after reading the instructions about getting it all centered up. I basically just centered it visually and it is absolutely fine. I found that part of the instructions to be more than needed in my case.
    Also I was concerned about the drilling and tapping process coming into the build for the steering wheel and also other areas of the car because I had never done it before. I got some practice metal tubing and did a few practice runs. It is actually quite easy. Just learn to do it on something other than the wheel. Build your confidence level up and you will have no problems.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I know that if I take my time I can handle it. I put the center hub on the wheel sat it on the floor and spun it, it is pretty well centered. I have since decided to get me a small drill press. But I will leave the welding to someone else.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have installed the quick release on both my leather and wood wheels. I am building a coupe and it is almost mandatory to get in and out. The breeze directions are good but I did mix it up a little. Here was my process. I will also agree that a drill press is a must along with a little oil during the drilling and tapping process.
    1. used painter's tape on the wheel and the hub. Poked holed though the tape where the holes in the steering wheel are
    2. Put the two together and used the center section to align the two. You will have to move the hub around until you find good metal to drill all of the holes.
    3. Mark the holes in the Breeze hub
    4. Drill and Tap Holes
    5. Assembly wheel and hub
    Enjoy!
    DSC05122.JPG
    DSC05119.JPG
    DSC05124.JPG
    DSC05132.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Though scary, I took my time and quadrupled checked everything and drilled without a drill press. Drill press would have been less stress, but worked out fine. Also, though I've done some welding, I'm no expert. Bonus on the welding, you are doing thick metal, which I think is easier than welding thin. Sounds like you got a plan and previous posts have good advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    ricobrafan,

thanks for the pics, I was thinking to use the painters tape as well, since I have 2 wheels I will setup the one wheel and continue to use the one that has the ffr hub until I get the spline welded. then I will order the second hub kit from Breeze.

mcright, thanks for your comments
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you happen to have a pic of the spline welded to the shaft? I am gonna get a welder to do that part.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really any good pictures. Welded on the top and the bottom, but bulk of it was on the top flush with the shaft as I think the directions said to do. I then painted the end for rust prevention, but need to redo. Since the metal is thick, get some decent heat in the weld and it should be good without fear of burn through. A little bit of practice never hurts!

Bruce
    IMG_7043 copy.jpgIMG_7047 copy.jpgIMG_7040 copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MVRight, I understand that I will be required to cut a portion of the shaft since it is tapered. Those pics are great!
    Baghdad Bob