BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What horn to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

What horn to buy?

Here's an interesting question, what's a good horn to buy? My base kit didn't come with one and I need to pick something up. Horns seem to be a real personal choice but I have yet to find a way to listen to a horn first before buying(i.e: a website with mp3's or something).

Anyone got a part number for the complete kit horn? Does it sound good or is it lame? Did anyone go aftermarket like Hella? Maybe just the cheapest $7.98 horn I see on Amazon?

Thoughts?

-TJ

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of Hella's and they sound like a Ferrari. I'd go with the loudest, most obnoxious street legal horn you can find.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    The complete kit includes a high tone and a low tone just like most domestic OEM setups. They sound like an ordinary Chevy pickup or New York taxi! Like everything with these cars you can option up but horns are not something I've ever seen any point in upgrading so I've stuck with what is provided with the complete kit and for base kit builds I've just gone to Autozone, O'Reilly's or wherever and picked up a universal high and low for about 20 bucks for the pair. BTW, you'll want both high and low...just one alone sounds flat and kind of wounded.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a compact air horn - very small, but quite loud and in character with my old school build. It's mounted up inside the drivers side front wheel well on the upper 3/4" triangulated tube that goes forward to the bumper / body mount.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a set of the twin Hellas on the shelf so I used those. Quite loud.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought two cheap ones from Amazon... They are ok.. loud enough, that's all I cared about

Post Thanks / Like
    I went the donor route and with it came all these bits and pieces including a horn, so mine sounds line an 04 Mustang. I mounted it just below the coolant reservoir and activate it with the black button at the end of the Russ Thompson turn signal handle. I am always a little surprised at how loud it sounds in the roadster compared to the donor.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the horn kit from breeze automotive. Mark provides everything you need to install dual horns in one kit. Very loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great info! Between this and the same question on the other forum I have my plan. Appreciate the ideas from everyone.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I have a pair of Hella's and they sound like a Ferrari. I'd go with the loudest, most obnoxious street legal horn you can find.

Ray
    Ray I didn't know you had Hellas!

It's a weird thing for me; when I look at the Cobra and imagine the sound of it's horn, the Hella air horns are what I hear. I put triples on both my builds and for me it's the only way to go. Like everything else in the build, there's basic and then there's custom. Nothing wrong either way, you still get miles'o smiles and thumbs up galore!

For brackets I got some 1/8"x2"x4' stock from the hardware store. Cut and bend in a vice, drill, polish or paint/powdercoat, and you're good to go. They work out of the box with the Ron Francis harness for FFR.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hella makes the European, Ferrari sounding.....or VW :-), or the Hi / Lo American-ish ones. And they're red.....so their fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Train horns would be good for a laugh
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised you didn't get horn, I got a mk4 base kit and got a hi and low with a horn button for the dash.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Surprised you didn't get horn, I got a mk4 base kit and got a hi and low with a horn button for the dash.
    Wait.... what???? Seriously, you got a horn? I got a $.38 plastic button, but nothing else. Not a big deal, that's what I expected as a "base" kit which assumes you have a donor, including things like a horn. To be honest, like me I'm not sure of too many base kit builds that actually use a donor any longer though. I went base route since I was going to do all kinds of squirrelly things and would waste money on a complete kit.

I still think it was the right plan for me but it definitely brings up these kinds of funny questions where I've never tried to source a horn before. Not sure how you got the horn but WOOT! I'm going to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up a 90* pneumatic drill and the horn kit mentioned on the other forum. $10 before a 30% coupon, which is exactly what I wanted in the end, loud and cheap! I seriously hope that doesn't reflect on my personality though....

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Horn isn't included in the base kit. Only the button to activate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess somebody messed up when they packed my parts. I did have to fix the button so it would work, it was put together wrong inside!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.