FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Your best "Gawker" story or stories?

Post Thanks / Like

Your best "Gawker" story or stories?

I know that everyone has a story about the "Gawkers" checking out your car. How about you share a few of them so I know what to expect.

Tim

I kept up with a thread like this over one the Challenger forum for a long time. Loved hearing the stories about the guys outings in their cars.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Several years ago, while attending a car show/fund raiser at an elementary school, three very attractive young moms approached the car. One lightly ran her finger along the top of the passenger door and said, just loud enough to be heard, "I love these cars, they make me so 'excited'" (actual term edited due to the family content of the Forum)

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been continuously amazed by the reactions to the car. Especially among adult women. I have had them follow me into filling stations to ask about it. I am frequently waved at riding down the road. My favorite is when going by the local elementary school every single adult teach waves. It is uncanny. Nobody waved or even looked twice at my 2004 GTO which had nearly 1500 rwhp and was at one time the 6th fastest new era IRS GTO in the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Notice in these two how it is the women dragging the guys along

Post Thanks / Like
    Then there is always one of these

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the car shows

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed in the videos that in almost every case when people get out of the car they are grabbing the top corner of the windshield to pull their self up.
    The way that flexes the glass body makes me cringe and worry about stress cracks coming up there at some point. I've seen Cobra owners express the
    same concern on those so it's a roadster issue and human nature. I love the way you invite people to sit in the car but you may want to assist them out
    of it to limit the damage to that sweet ride. Go back and watch all the videos and how the body flexes, you'll be surprised.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday in the Coupe

I haven't had access to a computer at home (commandeered by someone prepping for the Bar) to post much lately. (Nor have I figured out what to do with the photobucket situation). The car now has real seats in it, and numbers on the roundels. It is starting to clean up real well. (Hey, Miller! You never told me that the numbers would make the paint POP even more, after you insisted on putting the roundels on!!!) However, Tuesday, I did drive it a little:

1) Went to shop for annual safety inspection. Mechanics spent 90% of time taking pics and shooting the breeze about the car.

2) Later, drove to the Gateway Cobra Club meeting. Guy at a stoplight hollers "Man! That is awesome! What the he#$ is that?"

3) Some guy followed me into the parking lot at the meeting to take pictures and ask about it.

4) Going home, I went 45 miles out of my way to drive it across the river into Illinois. As I was going down the interstate at 70 mph, some well endowed gal in a tank top on a Harley roared by at 80 on the inside lane and pumped her hand in the air with a big thumbs up!

This all just cracks me up. Guess I'm just and old fart.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    The only ones I dislike are the knowledgeable guys that come up with their girls and say "look he copied the Plymouth Prowler." They don't get to sit inside it and take pictures. Good to have a lawyer in the family Bob

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    ...As I was going down the interstate at 70 mph, some well endowed gal in a tank top on a Harley roared by at 80 on the inside lane and pumped her hand in the air with a big thumbs up!
    Wait until you're heading down the freeway and get flashed by someone like that......Really make your day!

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    GoPro = $399
    Catching that flash on cam = Priceless

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I noticed in the videos that in almost every case when people get out of the car they are grabbing the top corner of the windshield to pull their self up. The way that flexes the glass body makes me cringe and worry about stress cracks coming up there at some point. I've seen Cobra owners express the same concern on those so it's a roadster issue and human nature. I love the way you invite people to sit in the car but you may want to assist them out of it to limit the damage to that sweet ride. Go back and watch all the videos and how the body flexes, you'll be surprised.

Dale
    I am the worst offender. Now that you have pointed it out I am thinking about recessing some grabs in the lip of the dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another, cute couple

Post Thanks / Like
    And another, car guy, he has a nice 64 vette