BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NOTICE! Clutch Pedal/MC Link Binding..Check yours!!

Post Thanks / Like

NOTICE! Clutch Pedal/MC Link Binding..Check yours!!

I've been working on the clutch operation on a Gen II GTM with a Mendy transaxle. The clutch would not disengage even though it felt like the system was bled well and all of the adjustments in the Mendy instruction manual looked fine. There was no clutch pedal stop installed in the car, and I finally noticed that the clutch pedal would not go all the way down to the firewall like all of the GTMs I've worked on before. I got to looking and found the problem.....the clevis on the clutch pedal that the MC rod is threaded into binds up on the clutch pedal. I notice that the Gen II's have the bigger bare aluminum foot pedals with the holes in them vs the older pedals that were smaller and just had skateboard tape on them. I'm guessing that all of the older pedal boxes with the skateboard tape are fine and probably all of the new pedal boxes with the bare alum pedals with the holes have this problem.

Anyway, I know this is not a clean cut-off with Gen I vs Gen II cars since I have built a Gen II that still had the older pedals with the skateboard tape. I've heard a lot of people complain of heavy clutch pedals....especially with the Mendy transaxle, and I'm wondering if this is not part of the problem. Anyway, here is what you end up with due to this binding situation. Top pic shows the clutch in the up position...where the binding occurs in the down position. I can't get a very good pic of the binding in the down position because there's just no room to get in there with the camera.....so it's a bit blurry.

Well....photobucket is not working like it used to and my files are apparently too big to upload....so if you want to see the pics, you might have to go over to the "other" forum.....
    Last edited by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC; 07-11-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had to trim the master cylinder rods on both the old and the new style of Wilwood pedal sets so I'd say it is worth looking at regardless. I most often notice this on the clutch side; when using the floor as a pedal stop (non GTM applications) on a clutch setup that doesn't need a lot of pedal travel you end up threading the rod all the way through the clevis block till it hits the pedal and you still don't have the clutch pedal down where it needs to be. Another sign that you need to trim the master cylinder rod is when you already have the master cylinder bolted in place and can't get the pedal up far enough to start threading the rod onto the clevis. It isn't uncommon to trim 1/4" - 1/2" off the rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes...you do need to trim the threads off of the MC rod. We trimmed off the 3/4" that the FFR manual recommends. The original MC was also trimmed back....but without a jam nut on there, there was nothing to prevent the rod from working it's way farther into the clevis....which still doesn't address the real issue of the clevis itself not having enough clearance to clear the back of the pedal. We finally fixed the problem here by grinding more clearance into the inside bottom edge of the clevis. We now have full clutch pedal stroke and it now allows our clutch to fully disengage.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI-IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Re: Wilwood® 7/8” bore Tandem Master Cylinders (with integral reservoirs)

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Wilwood Engineering, Inc. (“Wilwood®”) has decided that a defect relating to highway traffic safety exists in Wilwood® 7/8” bore Tandem Master Cylinders (with integral reservoirs), Part No.: 260-9439, 260-12900, 261-13271 (with proportioning valve), and 261-13272 (with proportioning valve). These aftermarket master cylinders are offered in different finishes indicated by a suffix (plain, black (“BK”) and ball polished (“P”). The recalled parts were distributed to Wilwood® independent dealers between 1/1/2006 and 10/31/16. Recalled master cylinders may have been purchased by end use customers after this date.
    Identifying the Recalled Wilwood® 7/8” Bore Tandem Master Cylinders
    The recalled parts are similar to the photos on page 3 and will contain: (1.) Wilwood® trademark on the oval-shaped cast aluminum body metal body (photo 1) with a cast 7/8” bore indication below the reservoir (on the outlet side) (photo 2), and (2.) a two or three letter production on the bottom rib of the cylinder (Ex.:”FE” or “FEE”) (photo 3). A complete list of production codes for recalled parts is set out below. Other Wilwood® master cylinders, components or OEM (ex. Ford, General Motors) supplied parts are not subject to this recall. What is the Defect/Reason for this Recall?
    Wilwood® believes the brake cylinder seal in the front circuit may become deformed, bypassing hydraulic fluid and resulting in loss of braking in front circuit. Unexpected loss of brake pressure and pedal feel in front brake circuit may increase the risk of a crash.
    What Wilwood® will do?
    Wilwood® will repair or rebuild your recalled 7/8” bore Tandem Master Cylinder using an improved design piston and piston seal assembly, free of charge. Wilwood® may impose a refundable core charge for repaired/rebuilt Master Cylinder’s shipped at customer request before return of the recalled part.

What You Should Do?
    Inspect your vehicle or inventory to determine if your vehicle uses or your shop has any of the Wilwood®
    7/8” Bore Tandem Master Cylinders recalled (See pictures and inclusive date codes below). Contact Wilwood® customer service @ (805) 384-2270 or [email protected] to receive a recall RMA and arrange return shipping of your part(s).
    ! WARNING
    To reduce risk of accident immediately inspect your vehicle to determine if you have a Wilwood® 7/8” Bore Tandem Master Cylinder subject to this recall. Recalled Master Cylinders may or may not give prior warning of defect by loss of pedal pressure or front wheel braking which may be restored or difficult to replicate. DO NOT Operate Vehicle until Recalled Master Cylinder is repaired/upgraded.

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

What If You Have Already Performed This Repair/Upgrade?
    Customers who have replaced or repaired suspect Master Cylinders prior to this recall will be offered reimbursement for the cost of the upgrade/replacement parts. Contact Wilwood® customer service @ (805) 384-2270 or [email protected] for information on reimbursement for previously completed repairs. Please have proof of purchase and repair available.
    What if I no Longer Own the Vehicle with a Wilwood® recalled Master Cylinder, Have other questions or need help?
    Wilwood® is here to help by answering any questions you may have regarding this voluntary campaign. Contact Recall Center: [email protected] or Wilwood® Customer Service (805) 384-2270.

• If you no longer own the vehicle you believe has or may have a recalled Wilwood® Master Cylinder, please forward this information to the new owner and also provide Wilwood® with the new owner’s contact information. If you are a lessor of a vehicle with a recalled Wilwood® master cylinder you should send a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days of receiving this notice as required by 49 CFR Sec. 577.7(a)(2)(iv). If after a reasonable time you still are unable to obtain a repair of your recalled Wilwood® Master Cylinder you may file a complaint with: The Administrator, National Highway Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., Washington, DC 20590; or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1800-424-9153); or go to https://www.safercar.gov.

Wilwood® apologizes for any inconvenience this voluntary recall may cause; however, our overriding concerns are your safety and satisfaction with the products we sell.

7/8" TANDEM MASTER CYLINDER DATE CODES JANUARY 2006 THROUGH OCTOBER 2016

AAA DAA GAA KAA
    ABB DBB GBB KBB
    ACC DCC GCC KCC
    ADD DDD GDD KDD
    AT DT GT KT
    AU DU GU KU
    AV DV GV KV
    AW DW GW KW
    AX DX GX KX
    AY DY GY KY
    AZ DZ GZ KZ
    BAA EAA HAA LAA
    BBB EBB HBB LBB
    BCC ECC HCC LCC
    BDD EDD HDD LT
    BT ET HT LU
    BU EU HU LV
    BV EV HV LW
    BW EW HW LX
    BX EX HX LY
    BY EY HY LZ
    BZ EZ HZ MAA
    CAA FAA JAA MBB
    CBB FBB JBB MCC
    CCC FCC JCC MT
    CDD FDD JDD MU
    CT FT JT MV
    CU FU JU MW
    CV FV JV MX
    CW FW JW MY
    CX FX JX MZ
    CY FY JY
    CZ FZ JZ
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    great info Crash!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    great info Crash!
    As I related on the other forum, my point was really just to show that Wilwood is having some significant concerns about some products. They don't always get it right and it is up to us to look for potential issues and address them if we can.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for an update, every GTM we've had in the shop since I've posted this has had the same problem. We've replaced 3 clutch master cylinders now because of this. If you haven't checked yours yet, I would recommend doing so. I also have yet to see any of these cars have a jam nut on the MC rod threads....which means there is nothing keeping the rods from moving farther into or out of the clevis....for the brakes or the clutch.
    Last edited by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC; 02-14-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this is getting enough attention at all. Shane is 100% correct. If you follow the instructions exactly and set it up as needed this problem will exist. Happened to me and was happy Shane said something. After having to fix that issue on mine I believe the shifting will be better for me now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh also thought I would share on here for those going to the hardware store for a jamb nut. 5/16-24