FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear suspension

Post Thanks / Like

Rear suspension

So was going to use the stock type springs and shocks on rear but now leaning toward coil overs from FF5. Anybody using stock suspension or used it and switched to coil over, what are benefits of coil overs to paying 500 for coil overs on rear and is it worth it for street driven car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I converted my MKII form a four link/stock springs and shocks to a three link with the cool overs and it was the best move ever. I felt like the rear suspension was to stiff/rigged with the foru link and I would bottom out on bigger bumps. I used the car for some autocross and the improvements very noticeable and street driving was great. The car never bottomed out after the change. It is not an easy conversion because you have to take the gas tank out, grind down the four link brackets to install the new 3 link brackets, install new coilove brackets,etc. great upgrade in my opinion. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's widely recognized that the donor based 4-link rear suspension performs poorly and is the worst riding and handling setup you can have. Multiple reports of upgrading to coilovers being one of the best upgrades on the build. Upgrading to 3-link might be something to consider. But just upgrading your current 4-link to the coilover setup and loosing the Mustang springs and shocks will give you a nice improvement.

My first build was a Mk3 with a 4-link setup. Had FF upper and lower control arms and Koni coilovers. Subsequent builds with different setups were better. But that build was a good cruiser (still is) and worked fine.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-12-2017 at 06:47 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.