Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where does the body ACTUALLY rest?

Post Thanks / Like

Where does the body ACTUALLY rest?

I've read SO many body mounting, body fitment, body trimming threads over and over but I haven't really come across this answer yet. Where does the body actually rest on a part of the frame and/or aluminum? Note: MKIV and this is not final body fitment, I'll be in gelcoat for a year of shakedown prior to any real body work even being started.

Things I've already completed:

=> mounted the front with quick jack bolts(********** grommets on the way to center in the hole)
    => mounted the rear quick jack bolts(Kleiner mod complete)
    => trimmed both trunk side panels and rear panel to allow body to scoot up
    => door striker mounts are properly positioned compared to door opening
    => essentially the body is exactly where I think it needs to be both forward/aft and side to side

Things already known:
    => does not sit on 1" tubes that follow hood opening, use foam to fill gap
    => no bulb seal on the rear cockpit panel, but yes on the trunk side/back panel
    => bulb seal on firewall panel
    => will get attached to frame under doors
    => elephant ears change things once installed, etc...

Here's where my question comes in. I've trimmed the top of the firewall after marking it with the body on. i.e: install body, do above mentioned mounting, then trace the outline of the cowl arch onto the firewall leaving about 1/4" or smaller gap under the body line. After I put the body back on though, that gap is closed up again. I don't want to keep trimming the top of the firewall back if the body cowl is supposed to actually rest on the bulb seal that is on the firewall.

Does the body actually rest on there or is the bulb seal meant to take up the room between the firewall and the body?

Thoughts?

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Also posted on the other forum. The body sits on the bulb seal on the firewall and rear trunk sides. The ends are held up by the quick jack mounts. It's also held in place, to a lessor degree, by the splash guards, front radiator surround, and wrap-around under the doors. I would think the closed hood and trunk lid and windshield also contribute to trapping it in place. It ends up being very solid. I've never seen any kind of movement, vibration, cowl shake, whatever in thousands of miles of driving.

I personally wouldn't be trimming the firewall any further until you've test fitted it with the bulb seal everywhere and started fitting everything else. You could adversely affect the fit of the windshield or even doors if it's not being held up properly in that area. At least IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.