Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wheel Stem Failure and Factory Five Wheel Warning

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Wheel Stem Failure and Factory Five Wheel Warning

What lead to my being towed home?

So far both of my rear tire stems failed. We will find out about the fronts tomorrow.

The cause is a combination of issues.

The stem that caused my flat broke in two. Only the mushroom head remained in the tire but from there the Manager at Americas Tire was able to confirm that it was a Chinese stem which apparently should not be used.

The second stem upon inspection was going to fail soon as well. This was due to incorrect installation. Installation in the Factory Five wheels require extra attention. I am not the first to experience this and the response I received from my call to Factory Five is the same I found from another tech on a different thread.

The problem with the Factory Five wheels is that due to the lip thickness a recess is designed into the wheel to allow the stem to sit deeper in the lip so that the remaining thickness allows for a proper seat. The problem is that the recess in the rim is not wide enough. When the installer tries to install the stem in their normal fashion the mushroom portion tends to not seat properly. In fact, in my case part of the mushroom was pulled into the smaller opening creating a stress point.

For our wheels the installer needs to use the correct stem but also use plenty of lube during installation. It is also important for him to massage the mushroom head into the recess and make sure that it is properly seated. He may have to twist/rotate the stem to make sure that it is not partially pulled through the smaller opening.

At home I highly recommend that you gently pull the stem back and forth and inspect for any cracks and to see that it is actually seated properly. It is a really cheap fix compared to replacing tires and a tow.

This is the correct stem and also a picture of my wheel recess. I am also a bit concerned by how rough the opening is but I was told by Factory Five that this is normal.

The metal studs that were available at Americas Tire will not work. As is the problem with the rubber stems, the recess is not wide enough and will not let the metal stud seat properly.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 07-13-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Replaced Images not viewable across domains

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a couple of questions: first, when did you get your wheels? second, in your opinion, is this a defect in the parts, or a goof on the part of the installer? In other words, if the installer had done things differently (i.e. lube) would you have avoided this problem? I know there was a point when FFR got a new supplier of wheels. I'm trying to figure out if your wheels were from the "old" supplier or the "current" supplier. The other question is trying to determine if this is an avoidable issue or if everyone (e.g. me) is going to have to deal with it. Thanks for humoring me!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    My wheels were from 2012. I'm pretty sure the design is the same today. I read another post referencing the same issue on a set of 18" wheels which were introduced last year. I'm pretty sure there have been several manufacturers but the design is standard.

Per the recommendation of Factory Five, I passed on this info to the installer.

Use the correct stem. It is actually a standard stem as shown.

Use plenty of tire lube.

Help push the "mushroom" end into the recess while pulling the stem through.

Rotate and gently twist the stem to make sure is is seated properly and than none of the mushroom is pulled into the smaller hole.

The store manager installed the stems and they do seat properly but they need help. They can't just be pulled in like most wheels.

The metal stems that were available at my tire store would not seat properly. The manager said they would likely leak.

I am now going to be much more aware of the condition of the stems. Only takes a second when you check your tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Just a couple of questions: first, when did you get your wheels? second, in your opinion, is this a defect in the parts, or a goof on the part of the installer? In other words, if the installer had done things differently (i.e. lube) would you have avoided this problem? I know there was a point when FFR got a new supplier of wheels. I'm trying to figure out if your wheels were from the "old" supplier or the "current" supplier. The other question is trying to determine if this is an avoidable issue or if everyone (e.g. me) is going to have to deal with it. Thanks for humoring me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Example of a Bad Stem

I just looked through my pictures on my phone and found this one of the rear tire.

Things to look out for. Had I paid attention I would have easily identified these deficiencies.

Notice that it is not fully seated.

Also, Notice that there is a crack in the rubber.

The manager almost sheared this one while gently inspecting it after the picture was taken.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my racing sponsors is a wheel & tire dealer/installer, and he said failed stems are more common than most people think. He has a domestic supplier for the ones he uses and doesn't see problems with them, but he's seen numerous issues with ones that are brought to him from other places.

Glad you're okay and that the damage was limited to the tire itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    CDXXVII,

Am I the only one that can't see the pictures? I just see a small black box with a white X...

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    CDXXVII,

Am I the only one that can't see the pictures? I just see a small black box with a white X...

Olli
    I see the pic, but I'm logged in to FFFcars. Looking at the URL of the pic, you have to be logged in to FFCars to see it. Ill fix it.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fixed.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave. I can see the pics now.

Olli