Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: exhaust noise thread- updated with video results

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

exhaust noise thread- updated with video results

I recently hit 1000 miles on my build. The only complaint I have at this point is the noise level. After 20+ years of exposure to jet engines and another 20+ to go before I retire my hearing faces enough threats at work. After 40 years of flying jets my father had very poor hearing so I am sensitive to that and try to protect mine as much as I can. Initially as I was go carting the build I was in the phase of this thing is so awesome I don't care how loud it is. I must say at the 1000 mile point I am over that and the noise level does diminish my enjoyment of the total experience just a bit. (It is still freaking awesome of course! Just could be a little more enjoyable if it was quieter.) I do drive with ear plugs now.
    My current setup is the FFR coyote headers, J pipes and polished exhaust.

I decided to pursue a quieter option and have ordered another set of pipes and the flowmaster slimline mufflers. The pipes are currently being cut and welded. I purchased a decibel meter to do a little before and after testing. Below is a short video of the original pipes on startup and under a few revs. My wife took the video standing next to the car with the meter in the approximate position of the passengers ears. The peak level was 110db and that was sitting still and I revved the motor to 5000 rpm. The noise level chart I am using for reference indicates at 112 db you experience hearing damage after 1 minute of exposure. Now of course I have ear plugs in so that is helping but still the noise in motion under a hard acceleration seems much louder.

I plan to make a series of measurements with my current pipes and then with the pipes with the mufflers built in and report back in this thread with some data. Once the new pipes are fabricated I have to take them to get ceramic coated which the vendor tells me they will need about 3 weeks. With that being said it will probably be at least 4-6 weeks before I present more data. My data is only as good as the meter I am using to measure with but it should be constant from one set of pipes to the next. Data won't be perfect but should be meaningful anyways to see the change.

I wanted to start this thread and see if other people were interested in contributing with their exhaust setup and noise levels. I purchased the decibel meter or amazon for $20. There are also some free iPhone apps that you could use for free. Would be interested to know what kind of noise levels other setups offer.

If anyone is willing please contribute with any data and video or audio clips. I will report back when I have more information. Maybe this thread can be useful in the future to someone trying to decide what kind of pipes to go with. Video below:

https://youtu.be/Cv3jevyEkig
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 08-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides