BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Good Year Eagles

Post Thanks / Like

Good Year Eagles

Kyle,
    Veary nicely done. I'm desperately looking for the tires you have. That's the old school look. Are those another band that you panted? I contacted Good Year and they haven't made those for a few years. That look make's or breaks my build, but you probably thought the same thing.
    thanks, Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,

Thanks, I am assuming you are asking me. True Billboards are still made and you can source them from Kraus Racing if you wish. They are not DOT approved though so you have to be okay with that and ensure your insurance is. They may or may not care plus the inspector may or may not know or care. I chose to go with Mickey Thompson ST's and used Tredwear letters that are applied with a cement. Another nice option and one I entertained are Avons the same lettering but they are pricey, very nice tires though.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kyle,

It hadn't occurred to me those are not billboards. Now I think I know what I'm going to do for my next set of 15" tires!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Joe,

Thanks, I am assuming you are asking me. True Billboards are still made and you can source them from Kraus Racing if you wish. They are not DOT approved though so you have to be okay with that and ensure your insurance is. They may or may not care plus the inspector may or may not know or care. I chose to go with Mickey Thompson ST's and used Tredwear letters that are applied with a cement. Another nice option and one I entertained are Avons the same lettering but they are pricey, very nice tires though.
    Are Mickeys better than billboards? I have billboards and I don't like the way uneven roads grab you! Oh and the amount of gravel they pick up.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not driven with BB's so don't have firsthand experience. From what I have read your experience seems common. As the the MT's, they ride nice and I have no complaints.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think I will change to MT's once they need replacing. Don't like the look of the 17".
    I checked out the stick on letters. $30 becks a corner. Do they cover the mickey text? or is the tire blank on one side?
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking tires. (and car!) Never heard of Tredwear but looks like a nice option for those of us that like the billboard tires but want DOT legal radials.

Post Thanks / Like
    No they do not cover the existing lettering as they need a smooth surface. I used a dremel with a sanding barrel to remove the lettering and then a palm sander to get a nice even surface. Takes a bit of time as you need to go slow and it's a bit messy but works well. Make sure to sand down only the black lettering, do not try to sand down the white lettering.
    Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the solution I used:

http://tredwear.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are just looking for a look I found a cool product at Tirestickers.com I used. You can have anything you want made in multiple colors. In my case I wanted the exact lettering that was already on the tires.
    I used paper and a crayon and made an etching of my writing. Then scanned it and sent it to them.

They produced the stickers and I applied them. They essentially super glue on. They are supposed to last the life of the tire. I cant speak for that but I saw no negative reviews and I am very pleased with the application and how they are attached at this point. Gives you options to get the look you want from basically any tire.

MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides