Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BluePrint 347 in and secure! Quick question on hole near the starter

Post Thanks / Like

BluePrint 347 in and secure! Quick question on hole near the starter

Hey guys,
    Sorry for the silly question, but I'm still quite green when it comes to engines. Just installed my 347 EFI /TKO 600 from BluePrint and was wondering why there was an open threaded hole on on the PS near the starter. All the other holes have brass plugs, but this one didn't. Already installed the oil PSI sender on the other side by the oil filter and tried to screw that brass plug in on this side, but it doesn't fit.
    Any ideas? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
    IMG_3968.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has a plug in it. I don't know what it's for but I'm surprised yours does not have a plug in it. Does it go all the way through? Did they hot test your engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this on another forum.

"That 5/16 hole in the block, about 1 inch above the oil pan under the last freeze plug is a passage into the oil delivery system that you can use for oil pressure. I believe it's 1/8" pipe thread, but double check and plug properly without damaging the threads. There should be a 1/4" pipe plug in the hole already."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CDCXVII for the find. They must have left it open after running the test for me to install the oil psi unit. I will relocate the oil psi sender over to that side tomorrow and reinstall the brass plug on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdgxxr View Post
    Thanks CDCXVII for the find. They must have left it open after running the test for me to install the oil psi unit. I will relocate the oil psi sender over to that side tomorrow and reinstall the brass plug on the other side.
    Typically your oil pressure sender is installed on the drivers side front of the engine next to your fuel pump or fuel pump block off plate.

Here are some generic photos for reference.

Oil Pressure Port.jpg

Pressure sender.jpg
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 07-16-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is where I currently have it installed I will try the brass plug on the other side again tomorrow. IMG_3969.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I would leave your pressure sender on the driver side. Technically there probably isn't a lot of difference but this is the first time in 12 years of messing w/ FFRs w/ SBFs that I have seen that passenger side hole. Why do it different from everyone else?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sdgxxr: That appears to be the water jacket drain hole. The block has one on each side near the oil pan rail as in your photo. Put a 1/4" (I think) pipe plug in it, but use teflon tape to keep it from corroding and freezing (ask me how I know this :-) )

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks frankb. I will dig up a plug, and throw it in there. Of course the plug from the other side doesn't fix. Looks like it's a different size hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to disagree with what was stated above - there are NO oil galleries down that low in a small block FORD. That is NOT an oil pressure port.
    IF the hole goes all the way thru the block, it could [possibly] be a water jacket drain hole but I'm wondering IF it goes all the way thru. Water jackets don't go that low either. Test it with a 1/4" bolt or a small piece of wire and see if it bottoms out about 1/2" in.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 07-16-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    I have to disagree with what was stated above - there are NO oil galleries down that low in a small block FORD. That is NOT an oil pressure port.
    IF the hole goes all the way thru the block, it could [possibly] be a water jacket drain hole but I'm wondering IF it goes all the way thru. Water jackets don't go that low either. Test it with a 1/4" bolt or a small piece of wire and see if it bottoms out about 1/2" in.

Doc
    I agree, never known a Ford block to have an oil port there. I thought drain plug, but Doc has a point that it is too low?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is not a thru hole. It's about 1.50" deep. Some starters have a bracket that utilize that hole for mounting, otherwise it's not used.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Straight from the source at BP! Thanks Yama-Bro. No need to plug it then. Appreciate all the help.