BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body removal

Post Thanks / Like

Body removal

For you guys that have done complete builds, how many times during build prices did you have to put body on and remove for measurement for installation of components (windshield etc.) ?

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm on my 1st build and am finally at the Go-Kart stage.
    I've had the body on 3 times so far and will be going back on when I start the body work to fit the doors, hood & trunk.
    The doors are far more critical since those gaps and open and close a bit depending on how the body is sitting on the chassis.
    Edwardb (Paul), Jeff Kleiner, Gordon Levy, Erik Treves and Mike Everson are all expert builders so if you get input from them, take it and know that it is correct.
    Good Luck From The Dark Side!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would guess I have the body on/off 5-6 times during a build. I'm sure it could built with fewer times, but that number of times gets me what I need. I use a ceiling mounted pulley system so it's pretty easy and I'm able to do it by myself.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-17-2017 at 07:27 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I followed the FFR instruction manual and built the car to go-cart stage. The way I tackled the build, I had faith in the FFR engineering that everything supplied by FFR would fit. No need for test fitting. The body went on once after go-cart and I completed the build until it was ready for the painter. Body came off...paint applied and body went back on for the final assembly. I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple. The 2012 Coyote went in once. Bolted it down and kept moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine on and off about 3 times not including this last time for paint. All together I am hoping it is 4.
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    on once for fitting the off for paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done mine twice. First time it was on/off 3 times. This last time it was off/on 1 time and painted on the chassis. First time I did all the fitment and glasswork on the frame as if it was completed. Then removed and chassis work done. Back on for final tweeks then off for paint. Second time just left the body on after chassis work and painted.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    On once to test fit and check aluminum, off to the trim panels and install bulb seal. Back on till time for paint. Why keep putting it on and off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    On once to test fit and check aluminum, off to the trim panels and install bulb seal. Back on till time for paint. Why keep putting it on and off?
    Assume that's for me. First time was when it was delivered. During the build, I used the body to confirm the dash location. Something that's talked about a lot and I just feel better confirming the proper spot with the body. Later took me a couple times to get the aluminum and such trimmed the way I wanted it so that it fit properly before the bulb seal. Later I had an issue where I didn't have the rear cockpit roll on the body trimmed quite enough for the rear cockpit wall. Then I had an issue with the curve on the dash on the PS. The dash supplied by FF is too long and needs to be trimmed and curved tight enough to not interfere with the body. Or it messes up the door alignment. I didn't quite have it right. Talked about this in my build thread. Then the final installation before paint.

I'm in the measure twice (or more...) then cut camp, and admittedly am very conservative with stuff like this. Easy to take material off a little at a time. Not so easy to put it back on. With how I had it set up in my garage, taking the body on/off was literally a 15 minute or less job by myself and no big deal at all. As I said in my response, many will do it less than I did. There's no right or wrong answer. Everybody works differently.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-17-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Ditto Rich!!!!!

I was speaking with Dave Smith recently and made a comment about cars shows, when I'm asked "did you build it"? My response is "Dave Smith and the great team at Factory Five built the car parts. I just put the parts together. Its like a big Mechano set with a little thicker instruction manual". Point being, most of the figuring on these things, (regardless of the drive train choice) has been done for you. The majority of builds aren't breaking any new ground requiring design, fit, fabrication, fit, fit, fit, install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    ... The majority of builds aren't breaking any new ground requiring design, fit, fabrication, fit, fit, fit, install.
    I must be doing it all wrong. Betcha Steve down in Sidell feels the same way.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    To the OP and anyone else who cares, one last response. Two points: (1) These aren't snap together kits. They are custom builds. Depending on a whole bunch of factors (parts chosen, mods, stacking tolerances, variability from FF including parts from their suppliers) very likely there will be some challenges along the way. Some minor and easily dealt with. Some not so much. But it's all doable. FF provides great support. The forum also has lots of folks that have seen most everything. (2) Everyone's build style is different. This is an investment in money, time, and you'll probably only get to do it once. There are some absolutes when it comes to safety and maybe a couple other topics, but beyond that it's your build. For every question there will be lots of opinions. Do what you're comfortable with.

This thread reminds me of the "How many clecos does it take?" threads...
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.