Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 safety thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

818 safety thoughts

After having my 818s on the road for a month I've run into some issues with the seat belts locking up and having to unbolt the shoulder connection to get them to spool back up. This has made me consider a 4 point harness. I know they are a no no without a full cage, but I'm 6'5 and my head is about even with the s roll bar anyway. I'm using this on the street and pretty much figure if the car flips things won't go well, I'm ok with this risk for the time being. At this point would a harness still be less safe then a normal seat belt? Or would the harness at least provide better protection in a non rollover situation? Any thoughts are helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't do 4 pint! I hate them if you pull the should belts to tighten at all the waist belt rides up to your stomach.
    If you go that route do 5 point!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's only one brand ( that I know of ) that is DOT approved. I've been considering the Schroth harness.
    https://www.schrothracing.com/products/rallye-belts

Post Thanks / Like
    I second that the Schroth is the only 4 point to consider.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    What those guys said. It's upsetting to see that major manufacturers like sparco still make 4pts when there're so dangerous. Schroth must have a good patent because I don't know of any other 4pts that have anti submarine.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    My stock belts locked up as well, dumped them for the Schroth 4 points (only DOT approved, none of the 5 points are), they work great but are a bit difficult to adjust for varied riders... the driver's belt doesn't need to adjust
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like schroth 4 points it is!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had schroth 4 points in my WRX when it got totaled. They did the job. One caveat is that you need to tighten them all the way AND tighten the lap belt first. They don't have tensioners like 3 point belts. My passengers would get in and put them one loosely like a regular 3 pt belt. I would always reach over tighten the lap belt (until they complained, lol) and then the shoulder belts.

Make sure when you mount them that the ASM black box is between you andthe mounting point. It won't work if you tie them off with that behind the harness bar.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, you do NOT need to purchase $700 worth of racing harnesses to be safe. Most people do not know how to properly tighten the 4 point system and subsequently tighten the shoulder straps too much. You first tighten the lap belt tightly, then the shoulder straps, but only to a point where there is no sag of the belt behind the seat. If you see any vertical movement of the lap belt, the shoulder straps are too tight! They are not meant to provide enhanced or missing lateral support from the seat. If you need that, buy a better seat. Also, stay away from 3" wide lap belts in 4 point systems: they can ride up over the pelvic crown thus increasing the likelihood of submarining. Stick with the 2 inchers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you running the sedan or wagon belts?

We had issues on the S we built with the belts locking, switched to wagon belts and never had the issue again. The problem is the angle of the retractor assembly causing the belts to lock (as designed).
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    They are the sedan belts. I didn't like how the wagon belts sat exposed on the passenger side of the fire wall, so gave the sedan belts a try. At least I would rather have them locking up too often instead of not at all.