Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inertia Switch

Post Thanks / Like

Inertia Switch

Finally have the engine and drive train installed. At start-up, the electric fuel pump would not work. I pulled the inertia switch and and connected a wire between the two main switch wires and the fuel pump worked and the engine started and ran great.
    I went to the Ford dealer and bought a new inertia switch, and to my dismay, once plugged in, it also does not work. Several attempts of hitting it and resetting it did not work. On the entire build, the electrical is the most challenging for me. Does anyone have a thought? Is there a simple way to test the switch? I can't believe that both switches are bad -- but who knows. Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    The possibility is very rare the word New stands for( Never Ever Worked) I would get a multi meter and do some testing for continuity and volts

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance you have the switch mounted upside down? Mine is, but I have not gotten to the starting the engine point. I woke up in the night and wondered if the switch includes an inverted open feature, like the car flips. Would it cut the power? I will be watching, I might have to flip mine, reset button on the top.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if u bypass the switch motor pump works. It might have to be oriented in a up down position due to if car rolled over you want the pump to stop

Post Thanks / Like
    The switch should be mounted with the red button up. That's how they're designed to work. They're set by pushing the button down and it will stay down. When tripped, the button pops up and it's flush with the top. Pretty obvious when you look at it. It takes a bit of a shock or G-force on the sensor to trip it. Just turning it over won't necessarily trip it. At least that's my experience.

There are three terminals on the switch. It can be wired to be normally open or normally closed when set. The RF harness uses it in the normally closed mode, meaning it completes the ground circuit for the fuel pump relay. When tripped, the ground circuit is interrupted, the fuel pump relay opens and the pump stops. With a VOM, check to make sure your connector is wired to the appropriate terminals for normally closed. I recall someone posting a while back about the RF plug being wired incorrectly.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-12-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the red button fully depressed, and remaining so? It sits down a 1/4" or so.
    You could test the switch with a multi-meter to see if you have an open circuit or not. Seems odd, but not impossible you would have two bad switches.

If you are using the stock in tank pump, relay, and ECM, you know that the pump stops running after 2-3 seconds, if you just turn the ignition to "on", and don't crank it? That has caused some confusion over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the inertial switch connector wire. Mine was wrong, I posted a fix on the other forum #23
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-question.html
    Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grluisi150 View Post
    Check the inertial switch connector wire. Mine was wrong, I posted a fix on the other forum #23
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-question.html
    Gary
    That's what I was referring to in my post #5. Thanks for the link. Makes the problem and fix very clear.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    That's what I was referring to in my post #5. Thanks for the link. Makes the problem and fix very clear.
    Thanks you guys! Problem solved -- I love this forum and everyone's willingness to share knowledge.

john