Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Muffler suggestions wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Muffler suggestions wanted

Don't like the FFR adapter that blocks somewhat the wastegate outlet so buying Kinugawa 323-04049-002 turbo downpipe with 3 in out.
    Looking for muffler suggestions that are not oem quiet but still have good tone and without drone.
    Wayne P suggested the Vibrant 1142 3 in resonator but he said it is 100 db at 50 ft at wot on racecar. Nice piece but looking for quieter.
    All suggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc5r View Post
    Don't like the FFR adapter that blocks somewhat the wastegate outlet so buying Kinugawa 323-04049-002 turbo downpipe with 3 in out.
    Looking for muffler suggestions that are not oem quiet but still have good tone and without drone.
    Wayne P suggested the Vibrant 1142 3 in resonator but he said it is 100 db at 50 ft at wot on racecar. Nice piece but looking for quieter.
    All suggestions appreciated.
    I'm very pleased with my Boig exhaust purchased though Mike Everson at Replica Parts. Perfect fit and sounds good but not loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as idf, Boig exhaust system with muffler and dual resonators exiting at middle, from Mike Everson. I'm pleased.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Do either of you know if Boig muffler is a straight thri design or a chambered type??

Post Thanks / Like
    Just make up a custom exhaust, mine's a 3 inch SS bell mouth, 3 inch high flow cat, 90 bend towards the right, 3 inch SS muffler , short pipe out the low right rear. Still allows a trunk, great exhaust sound, fully legal wth CAT and muffler
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Just make up a custom exhaust, mine's a 3 inch SS bell mouth, 3 inch high flow cat, 90 bend towards the right, 3 inch SS muffler , short pipe out the low right rear. Still allows a trunk, great exhaust sound, fully legal wth CAT and muffler
    That's what I am planning but the question was
    what was the model of 3" ss muffler that was
    reasonably quiet. Ads do not really give you
    any number of db of quieting so you have to
    ask for personal references.
    Thanks

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am running a Kooks 3" straight-through stainless steel muffler. I felt the same about the FFR turbo flange so I made my own collector that's similar to the Kinugawa. I didn't like the Kinugawa because it turns down and I needed mine to go straight toward the back. The Kooks muffler sounds amazing. It's not too loud, not too quiet, and very deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do either of you know if Boig muffler is a straight thri design or a chambered type??
    He has both options. Mine is chambered. There is so much wind and road noise that exhaust noise becomes a bit irrelevant to those in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I am running a Kooks 3" straight-through stainless steel muffler. I felt the same about the FFR turbo flange so I made my own collector that's similar to the Kinugawa. I didn't like the Kinugawa because it turns down and I needed mine to go straight toward the back. The Kooks muffler sounds amazing. It's not too loud, not too quiet, and very deep.
    Thanks for replies-very helpful. Hindsight, did u buy the kooks ko300-12, a oval ss
    muffler? Make your 5 bolt flange or find online? Thanks

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the KO300-12 yes. I bought the 5 bolt flange from Kinugawa. I originally bought their bellmouth as I mentioned but for the exhaust I previously wanted (straight out the back), I couldn't have the down-turn. But I got GOBS of nasty fumes in the cabin with the exhaust exit there so I'm now running out the bumper down low behind the tire and there is zero fume issues.

How you see it in this pic is ultimately not how I oriented the muffler (I changed it later), but it shows the collector:

The way I have it exiting now, the Kinugawa bellmouth might actually work just fine but it's tough to know for sure without playing around with it:

And the all-important video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHezAKOvsc

Here is one of it getting dyno tuned:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9JRrRWtSc

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, exactly what I needed and the video is
    frosting on the cake!
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello it is wise to seek the paths of others. Here is s link to the "exhaust thread"!
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Exhaust+thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I used the KO300-12 yes. I bought the 5 bolt flange from Kinugawa. I originally bought their bellmouth as I mentioned but for the exhaust I previously wanted (straight out the back), I couldn't have the down-turn.
    Hindsight, from where did you source the Kinugawa bellmouth? I can find the plain 5-bolt flange but am not seeing the bellmouth one. Thx.

Edit: Never mind, found it: http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/tu...oll3specc.aspx
    Last edited by Mulry; 07-18-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I could help

I really think you could make the bellmouth work with the current exhaust exit location I have now. You might have to twist the muffler so it sits at an odd angle but I think it would work. Fabbing the bell-mouth was really difficult. Hard to do it without bending the 5 bolt mounting flange, though I will say it has held up great so far. Probably 10 track days of abuse and a couple thousand street miles without issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the 3 inch stainless oval offset muffler on ebay for $35 in 2014, it is just a 3 inch perforated tube, nice and throaty, not too loud http://www.ebay.com/itm/CENTER-OFFSE...dd79b7&vxp=mtr Sounds like Hindsight's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 07-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running 3" turbo back with a Vibrant muffler. It has yet to fail sound at any events (93-98dB limits)

3VTcbwJ.jpg

https://youtu.be/tuoRx-SI3eE
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of my old setup:

Kinugawa (TD-04 style) bellmouth to cat (Magnaflow) to Amazon $38 muffler https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fiber-...s=3%22+muffler.

It has a bung for rear O2 sensor after cat so no CEL's thrown. The welds aren't the best, but not leaking.
    WP_20150605_10_53_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150730_19_16_31_Pro.jpg

It came with a baffle to cut down the noise. Here is the baffled sound:
    https://youtu.be/e1qo0k5_Ai8

Here is unbaffled:

I'm not using it anymore (after switching to dual scroll turbo). If you're interested PM me.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I am planning but the question was
    what was the model of 3" ss muffler that was
    reasonably quiet. Ads do not really give you
    any number of db of quieting so you have to
    ask for personal references.
    Thanks
    Look at f-body mufflers, 2.5-3in. in, 2.5-3" duel out. If your looking at straight through mufflers, be realistic, they will all be somewhat loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look/listen at Spintech mufflers. Kind of hard to find Subaru stuff on youtube, but I really like their sound on other engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Kinugawa bellmouth into a Magnaflow muffler (3 in inlet, dual 2.5 in outlets).
    One of my things is that I wanted dual exhaust, so I have two outlets.

Also using stock WRX exhaust manifolds, ceramic coated and wrapped.

Here is the sound on the street...... I LOVE it.

https://youtu.be/S-mUhQdgFjk

Here is the sound on the Dyno.....

https://youtu.be/sbQD33fW7ZU
    Last edited by Harley818; 08-24-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015