Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Massachusetts Insurance - Help needed

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Massachusetts Insurance - Help needed

Who has their roadster or kit registered in MA and who are you using?

In Mass you register the kit as a replica vehicle for the year it was completed. Finding an insurance company to underwrite the policy is proving to be difficult. So far:

Liberty Mutual: No (even though I do a ton of business with them already)
    MidWest (Robbin): No liability in Ma, will only cover comprehensive and collision. Need to get liability through local company.
    State Farm: Doesn't do business (new business) in Ma.
    Hagerty: No, requires Ma vehicles to be over 25hrs. They spoke with their underwriter about an exception with it being titled at a 2017 and said no.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is insured with Commerce.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My 65 Coupe (2016 Repli) is insured with American Collectors Insurance.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked with Grundy?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the same issue in NJ. Went with National Corvette Museum, agreed value policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you call Mike Smith at Northeast Classic Car insurance? He's in MA.
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,

Interesting process to say the least. I ended up with American Collectors Ins. Single policy with Agreed value. No appraisal needed, just needed to show receipt documentation on big ticket items and summary list for all items purchased for the value number.

Most of the brokers I spoke with wouldn't consider a single policy without wanting the entire family business, home, assets, rentals, etc. I wasn't about to deal with that just for a single car addition. I did find that Commerce would do a stand alone policy through specific brokers, but the brokers indicated that I needed an appraisal, then re-appraised every 1-2 years depending on mileage driven. I'm not sure if that was accurate, but what I was being told. The other two insurance companies I found that would consider writing for a kit car in Mass was Heacock Classic Insurance and Grundy. Midwest would do the second policy for collision/AGV but not compulsory part so I would have needed two policies.

State police assigned the VIN today. Insurance done, next step RMV. (Then inspection, MAC, and inspection again). Half way there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a complete MA Emissions Compliant MK4 this weekend. My agent is checking into Commerce (which I deal with now for auto and home) and Grundy. The car is insured now with American Collectors Ins. Is it best to just call them and establish a new policy using the same vehicle data? Doing this stuff tomorrow. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Race Ratz View Post
    I just bought a complete MA Emissions Compliant MK4 this weekend. My agent is checking into Commerce (which I deal with now for auto and home) and Grundy. The car is insured now with American Collectors Ins. Is it best to just call them and establish a new policy using the same vehicle data? Doing this stuff tomorrow. Bill
    If your local agent can't get it done (as what happened in my experience) then I started cold calling different places. American Collectors was what I ended up choosing. Simple and complete in a day with a single policy and AGV for what I wanted. I called Commerce directly and they wouldn't write it as a new contract over the phone for a replica, but instead provided me with several brokers they deal with to write the new contract through them. I thought this was a little odd. The brokers mostly wanted my entire insurance portfolio, which I promptly told them to pound sand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Called American Collectors Ins. Simple quote, no appraisal needed. Wrapping all this up this week. Exciting! Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I use grundy and just added my mk3 roadster to the policy today, no problem, sent three pictures and had the insurance card an hour later.