Engine Factory

Visit our community sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 33 Pickup?!?

Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    You're going to make me go measure the 460 BBF aren't you! I briefly looked at relocating the rack early in my project when I was considering a blown stroker 392. Sobered up on Sunday and scratched that idea. But, there is 1" to gain by flipping the rack brace forward of the tube behind the coil overs. It requires an angle cut above the lower control arm bushings so you can put the mount forward, flip it, and weld it back in. Something NAZ would do in less than 1/2 hour minus the paint drying. Not sure how it would affect geometry to the spindle, Ackerman, and bump steer, but, once you go BBF I doubt you need more than 4 degrees caster, so maybe the math works out. Next problem is the top of the Ford bellhousing hitting the firewall tubing. This is where my 130 tooth Mopar bell won the tunnel race. I do have a lot of set back and found foot room with shorter clutch fork mod. keeps the left quad in shape.
    I would like to see a little more robust bracketry in the front and lose that FFR radiator mount attached to the upper control arm. Getting a wider, taller radiator and bumper would go along with the truck theme.
    No trailer Hitch on a truck is like no turbo on an 818!! Something's gotta pull the R chassis!
    Brian;
    I'm not that familiar with the FF Cobra replica line but IIRC they are front steer and I think all the geometry is dialed in better from years of
    improvements on that kit. Jim kept everything very tight and thus very lightweight on the original 33 design so that limited a lot of options.

Battery size and location on the truck chassis was also something we discussed on my visit and something feedback was already suggesting.

I would love to see a MKII design of the 33 chassis that was opened up a bit in the front allowing front steer and more engine room including
    further forward engine placement options. In the past we have also talked about more round tubes with bends vs sq tubes with more welds etc.

The Plymouth wider grille and the trucks more straight up style grille are both steps in the more space is better kit where options and comfort trump weight.
    Changing the rack location and the birdcage the coil overs fit in would be the next 2 logical steps in that direction. I'm not a Chevy guy nor a hater of any
    marque but after seeing Glens vette donor coupe and the longer 33 chassis they are just meant for each other. I may push Jim and Dave to think about all
    they learned from the GTM on the Chevy stuff and offer that scenario on the final truck design. LS motors, torque tubes, transaxles and vette suspension and
    brakes are all well sorted out components so why not use them here.

As far as the no trailer hitch comment the 33 is so short of trunk space that it needs one too. I did hide mine behind the license plate but it's on there.
    Would you really choose the truck over a sedan delivery if both were offered?
    Dale

I would go sedan delivery only due to my personal preference in body styles. Wife said she liked the pickup so I'm right on track as usual. In reality I would be more interested in changing the Hotrod to a sanctioning body friendly cage with a slightly different frame arrangement in the front. The engine must sit back and weight transfer must bias to the rear on acceleration and front on braking. Truck hot rods don't really excite me. I have a 58 town panel to build, and a 59 D200 to restore for a tow vehicle. If someone asked me to build a hot rod pickup I would, but, my next fiberglass body is more likely to be a Willy's pro street or 53 Studebaker. The chevy option makes a lot of sense if you recall the old powerglide in the back concept. Hard to beat the options available in the Bow Tie World. But let's not forget the Flatheads, nailheads, and parrot heads in the process. Once you go vette chassis you just limited options and drove cost out of reach for some. If I want to put a straight six and stick 3 speed in it I want a stripped base kit. Lose all the paraphernalia we've been throwing out anyway and get the kit price down.
    What I really want is a common universal tube chassis that performs and allows multiple body selections. The Hotrod is close on that criteria, just needs a little tweeking. Try a 37-40 coupe for example.

Liking the look of full fenders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Liking the look of full fenders.
    Me too, but the headlights are kinda small.
    Dale

A reminder that chassis work is as important as paint... And get back on topic!! The hood ornament isn't on the grille.

A reminder that chassis work is as important as paint... And get back on topic!! The hood ornament isn't on the grille.
    Give us some inspiration and post pictures of the 58 and 59 trucks.

scan0003 (640x459).jpgscan0022-Dodges (640x446).jpg
    Found some old scans without Hood ornaments...

scan0003 (640x459).jpgscan0022-Dodges (640x446).jpg
    Found some old scans without Hood ornaments...
    That's what I like about hotrods now compared to the past. Nothing is out of bounds and anything is worthy
    of a full restoration. I really thought IF FF ever made a truck it would be a truggy. Cool pics.
    Dale

Count me in, was looking a older pickup for next project but don't want to deal with rust. This could be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy561 View Post
    Count me in, was looking a older pickup for next project but don't want to deal with rust. This could be it!
    Perhaps by the time FFR get this kit up and available you'll be more likely having to deal with arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    Perhaps by the time FFR get this kit up and available you'll be more likely having to deal with arthritis.
    Ha! Made me laugh out loud at work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12