BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '33 Pickup?!? NO! '35 Hot Rod Truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

'33 Pickup?!? NO! '35 Hot Rod Truck!

Saw this linked from the other forum. It came from a HotRod article. Is this the new 33 PICKUP?!?

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/sneak...ect-cars-2017/

The article says this will be at SEMA this year. It has a STEEL BED!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes! This would be my first choice for a build. I'm barely half way through my 818. How do I convince the boss I "need" this truck?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did FFR add a bit more room in the frame and firewall for a Coyote plus A/C and a heater?

Da Bear
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Saw this linked from the other forum. It came from a HotRod article. Is this the new 33 PICKUP?!?

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/sneak...ect-cars-2017/

The article says this will be at SEMA this year. It has a STEEL BED!

WOO FFen HOO

That looks like the loft where they do the fiberglass at FF and it's the 33 frame. Dave said he might do a truck and the 33 needed a refresh soon.
    I'm already registered for SEMA so it will be fun to see this in person along with the rest of the body parts that were still in design for the steel
    33 coupe they had there last year. I like the grille shell design better too.
    Dale

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm Smelling A Corvette Donor Build In The Distant Future!

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

Baby Go-Dad Just Needs To Get Though College Like His Two Big Sisters First!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty cool!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    WOO FFen HOO

That looks like the loft where they do the fiberglass at FF and it's the 33 frame. Dave said he might do a truck and the 33 needed a refresh soon.
    I'm already registered for SEMA so it will be fun to see this in person along with the rest of the body parts that were still in design for the steel
    33 coupe they had there last year. I like the grille shell design better too.
    Dale
    Still needs a roll cage, but the gas tank should be easier to deal with... no restriction on the rear meat, back half tubing must have some changes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I grabbed and flipped an image from factoryfive.com.

Looks like the door length is roughly the same on top... But the overall legroom is reduced or the same?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I grabbed and flipped an image from factoryfive.com.

Looks like the door length is roughly the same on top... But the overall legroom is reduced or the same?
    From what I was told at the open house, the cab is shorter but taller so by sitting up higher you'll still have good leg room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like! Been looking at an old pickup for a while. I guess I will wait a bit longer.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks to me like the door is just cut straight down and not slightly angled forward. The front body line is still angled. If so, legroom would be the same once in it but you'd have less opening down there than current shape.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    From what I was told at the open house, the cab is shorter but taller so by sitting up higher you'll still have good leg room.
    Wait. You mean a FFR where I DON'T sit on the floor??! Well now all of a sudden I'm liking the taller roofline!

Post Thanks / Like
    YAY! Dave listened to me when I asked for a pickup something like 5 yrs ago!
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    If the do it, I'm in

Post Thanks / Like
    It does look like there's a big change in the frame. Looks like the passenger space was shortened to make the the truck look right. Making a more upright seating position that was mentioned nessasary .
    Attached Images Attached Images

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be tough to keep the tall perimeter frame too. Combine that with the shorter door it will make getting in and out a bit tight. Wonder where the gas tank will go? Maybe low and behind the axle like the roadster?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is sweet! I still wish they made a version of the hot rod with a '32 front end.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bench seat?

Wasn't the '33 Pickup more vertical? more like a '32 Coupe?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Bench seat?

Wasn't the '33 Pickup more vertical? more like a '32 Coupe?
    Yep, as were the 34's, this will be more '35 .... ish.....
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Still needs a roll cage, but the gas tank should be easier to deal with... no restriction on the rear meat, back half tubing must have some changes?
    It likely has the 8.8 IRS since that's where the FF builds are moving to. The roll cage could have decent headroom in this one and the down bars coming out
    through the back of that cab and into the bed just adds to the look IMO. The doors wrap all the way around the glass so it should seal up nicely as far as
    wind noise etc. The way the cab ends looking forward is shaped just like the new steel 33 coupe so I'm thinking it uses the same chin pieces they are stamping
    now. That gives me hope that the new hood and grille shell will become standard on the coupe as well. Can't wait to see it in person at SEMA this year.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I'm Smelling A Corvette Donor Build In The Distant Future!

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

Baby Go-Dad Just Needs To Get Though College Like His Two Big Sisters First!
    GDG
    A vette donor would be perfect for the truck if you can stand a chevy powerplant . The 33 coupe Glenn did had a C5/6? drivetrain.
    The torque tube had to be shortened but I don't recall by how much. Anyone have Glenn Sommers contact still ?

The truck WB is 7" longer than the FF coupe Glenn used so it may be a better fit now. The plus was the torque tube is much smaller than a
    bellhousing so you gain a lot of footroom/pedal box width. On the coupe, the down side was the transaxle put the TC right at the drivers
    elbow so HEAT and space was an issue at the back of the pass box instead of the front. The truck cab rear wall is actually 4" forward on
    the chassis so the TC should be outside of the passenger compartment if it works out the way I think it would. Go get em Dad.
    Dale
    7L Hemi 33< Not a little baby Hemi like that other old fart is using >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Post Thanks / Like
    The gas tank is moved all the way back and yes the back half tubing is different. At this point it's a longer 3 link with the springs moved forward of the axle.
    A roll cage should be much easier because of all the new headroom. Rear meat has lots of room, maybe even enough for a BIG Hemi (cough) without a carb .
    Seeing the truck this week really got me pumped and thinking about building another FF when the Hemi coupe is done.
    Dale
    Last edited by myjones; 09-09-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: errors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Wonder where the gas tank will go? Maybe low and behind the axle like the roadster?
    DING
    Winner winner chicken dinner
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    The gas tank is moved all the way back and yes the back half tubing is different. At this point it's a longer 4 link with the springs moved forward of the axle.
    A roll cage should be much easier because of all the new headroom. Rear meat has lots of room, maybe even enough for a BIG Hemi (cough) without a carb .
    Seeing the truck this week really got me pumped and thinking about building another FF when the Hemi coupe is done.
    Dale
    So at this point it uses an 8.8 axle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The gas tank is moved all the way back and yes the back half tubing is different. At this point it's a longer 4 link with the springs moved forward of the axle.
    Dale
    PICS?!?!

Longer wheelbase is a good thing, IMO. I'm sure other rear end options will be engineered as well. This is an exciting development!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will it come only as a coupe or will a roadster version be avail. with a hardtop option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    So at this point it uses an 8.8 axle?
    Yes it does,
    but "at this point" is a good thing to remember because "it will evolve a bit from the beta to production if it moves to that"

The lower control arms are 7" longer than the coupe version and they have spring perches just in front of the axle housing.
    I hope it will eventually have an IRS option but the new rear stub on the chassis is mostly to carry the truck bed and protect
    and support the rear mounted fuel tank. That rear stub design would have to be changed a bit to be able to mount the IRS.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    PICS?!?!
    Longer wheelbase is a good thing, IMO. I'm sure other rear end options will be engineered as well. This is an exciting development!!
    David
    I felt very fortunate to be at FF at the right time to see this concept and be allowed into the skunkworks area.
    Jim S. was very patient with all my questions and spent a lot of time showing me what changes were needed to
    make the 33 chassis work with the truck body. I didn't take any pictures and I didn't even ask because of SEMA.

After I returned home I sent a thanks to Jim for his time and asked if there was anything that could be shared
    in advance or if they wanted to keep it all secret until the reveal. Jim said that feedback is what helps move
    a concept forward so starting a buzz now is fine with him.

One other tidbit and one correction;
    The truck doors will be hinged at the front so the hinge mount structure will move to that location on the chassis.

I mentioned a 4 link prior but IIRC the truck is currently a 3 link with a panhard <> I'm not 100% on that but
    I do recall the extra length there was making the live axle swing in a bit different arc and that changed the
    anti dive anti squat forces a bit.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Will it come only as a coupe or will a roadster version be avail. with a hardtop option?
    FT;
    This is where known facts and my impressions and opinion need to be carefully parsed because I don't
    want to interfere with their product development in any negative way.

We didn't talk about kit options because it's still too much in flux to say where it will all evolve to,
    and is the kind of thing that will be sorted out later IF/When it gets the green light for production.

What I saw was a few truck cab bodies that all looked like the same mold.
    The doors do have a full frame around the window glass IIRC.
    We did talk about a roll cage for the truck but it was still just a twinkle in Jim's eye at this point
    so it will be fun to see how he approaches that when the truck gets to SEMA.

A hot rod truck with a soft top would be a kickass option if it all moves forward.
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The gas tank is moved all the way back and yes the back half tubing is different. At this point it's a longer 3 link with the springs moved forward of the axle.
    Dale
    By bigger HEMI you must mean John Kaase heads on a real ford? Needs the rack moved forward a little for the big blocks... I hope the back half is robust enough for a trailer hitch. I would consider a Vicki or Panel version. Changing the doors could lead to a MKIIHR. I guess I could always convert the tailgate to FARGO and put Dodge Fenders on it. Narrowed dually rear maybe. hmmm hope they do this in steel also. With taller cab the blower doesn't affect visibility as much. Maybe we'll see a 4BT cummins in an FFR? Of course I would go with a 3-53T Detroit just to make noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been dreaming about a 33 HR build "some day." This new model is exactly what I want: a small truck with great body styling and FF design. Plus, I get to build it! I'm looking forward to hearing about pricing and availability.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    .. I hope the back half is robust enough for a trailer hitch. .
    Jim and I actually discussed that this week. The new rear clip surrounds the fuel tank but the bigger tube is at the top across the back
    and the lower tube is much smaller. We talked about how to add a couple diag braces to the center bottom so a hitch could be added.

Dually meat on the truck would be very cool. The body is all glass except for the inside of the bed, that will be metal on the concept truck
    but it will still evolve some from the beta unit. The rack needs flipped to front steer so there is room for other big blocks to fit.
    At this point IIRC it won't have fenders so tire choices will be wide open.

I will keep pushing for the panel vice the Vicky because that would allow a very robust 6 point cage without hurting useable space.
    AND it fits the more than 2 passengers that customers have been begging Dave to do for years.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    ...After I returned home I sent a thanks to Jim for his time and asked if there was anything that could be shared
    in advance or if they wanted to keep it all secret until the reveal. Jim said that feedback is what helps move
    a concept forward so starting a buzz now is fine with him...
    If Jim is listening, tell him to make sure there's a full fenders/running boards option. The dream truck in my brain has fenders (and period-correct bumpers).

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Since we're making suggestions, the ability to "bag" it. Love to be able to adjust ride height.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradavid View Post
    If Jim is listening, tell him to make sure there's a full fenders/running boards option. The dream truck in my brain has fenders (and period-correct bumpers). David
    David
    I am in that camp too. Those options would be a second phase in my mind once the basic kit and body is in production.

I know he has a lot to do before SEMA so I don't know if he is reading this now or will follow up after the show to add these comments to the feedback.

How would you guys feel about a rollbar and down bars behind the cab vs the hoop in the cab and only the downbars showing in the bed.
    I say this because the back of the cab is 4" forward of where the coupe roll bar normally lands.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    GDG
    ../The truck cab rear wall is actually 4" forward on
    the chassis so the TC should be outside of the passenger compartment if it works out the way I think it would. ../
    Does this mean the cab has lost 4" of legroom? I realize you can sit higher but 4" is a lot to me...

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like

Dually meat on the truck would be very cool. ... The rack needs flipped to front steer so there is room for other big blocks to fit.
    At this point IIRC it won't have fenders so tire choices will be wide open.

I will keep pushing for the panel vice the Vicky because that would allow a very robust 6 point cage without hurting useable space.
    AND it fits the more than 2 passengers that customers have been begging Dave to do for years.
    Dale
    More than 2 passengers?!!? I may have to go from a 3-53T to a 3-71T Jimmy for that option...

Moving the rack forward and "baggin" the suspension would go along with trailer hitches and Big Blocks. This one is a little out of FFR's box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does this mean the cab has lost 4" of legroom? I realize you can sit higher but 4" is a lot to me...
    David;
    The cab is 4" shorter front to back but the seating height will be much higher so Jim says there is still more legroom and headroom.
    It wasn't really ready to sit in yet but in 6 weeks you can do that at SEMA. Are you going this year ?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    More than 2 passengers?!!? I may have to go from a 3-53T to a 3-71T Jimmy for that option...
    Moving the rack forward and "baggin" the suspension would go along with trailer hitches and Big Blocks. This one is a little out of FFR's box.
    Brian
    I hope that FF throws away the box on the next project, and whether it's 33 based or not it needs to haul more than 2 people.
    In the interim the HR truck is a very cool peek out of the box for now. I think the final version will have a lot more changes to
    the 33 chassis when design and fabrication time is not an issue.

I told Jim about your project with the early Hemi and slightly wider Mopar front end and that it would give more width up front.

I'm not sure how involved it would be to change to front steer but that would change a lot of space issues for motor size and
    hopefully move the bellhousing forward enough to gain footroom with any engine combo.

I would be surprised to see anything come from FF with bags so that part may fall on the buyer to do, but the number of
    owners with mad fabrication skills is growing every day.

A trailer hitch on a hot rod ? What kind of a redneck would do such a thing.
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian
    I hope that FF throws away the box on the next project, and whether it's 33 based or not it needs to haul more than 2 people.
    In the interim the HR truck is a very cool peek out of the box for now. I think the final version will have a lot more changes to
    the 33 chassis when design and fabrication time is not an issue.

I told Jim about your project with the early Hemi and slightly wider Mopar front end and that it would give more width up front.

I'm not sure how involved it would be to change to front steer but that would change a lot of space issues for motor size and
    hopefully move the bellhousing forward enough to gain footroom with any engine combo.

I would be surprised to see anything come from FF with bags so that part may fall on the buyer to do, but the number of
    owners with mad fabrication skills is growing every day.

A trailer hitch on a hot rod ? What kind of a redneck would do such a thing.
    Dale
    You're going to make me go measure the 460 BBF aren't you! I briefly looked at relocating the rack early in my project when I was considering a blown stroker 392. Sobered up on Sunday and scratched that idea. But, there is 1" to gain by flipping the rack brace forward of the tube behind the coil overs. It requires an angle cut above the lower control arm bushings so you can put the mount forward, flip it, and weld it back in. Something NAZ would do in less than 1/2 hour minus the paint drying. Not sure how it would affect geometry to the spindle, Ackerman, and bump steer, but, once you go BBF I doubt you need more than 4 degrees caster, so maybe the math works out. Next problem is the top of the Ford bellhousing hitting the firewall tubing. This is where my 130 tooth Mopar bell won the tunnel race. I do have a lot of set back and found foot room with shorter clutch fork mod. keeps the left quad in shape.
    I would like to see a little more robust bracketry in the front and lose that FFR radiator mount attached to the upper control arm. Getting a wider, taller radiator and bumper would go along with the truck theme.
    No trailer Hitch on a truck is like no turbo on an 818!! Something's gotta pull the R chassis!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast