FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '33 Pickup?!? NO! '35 Hot Rod Truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    You're going to make me go measure the 460 BBF aren't you! I briefly looked at relocating the rack early in my project when I was considering a blown stroker 392. Sobered up on Sunday and scratched that idea. But, there is 1" to gain by flipping the rack brace forward of the tube behind the coil overs. It requires an angle cut above the lower control arm bushings so you can put the mount forward, flip it, and weld it back in. Something NAZ would do in less than 1/2 hour minus the paint drying. Not sure how it would affect geometry to the spindle, Ackerman, and bump steer, but, once you go BBF I doubt you need more than 4 degrees caster, so maybe the math works out. Next problem is the top of the Ford bellhousing hitting the firewall tubing. This is where my 130 tooth Mopar bell won the tunnel race. I do have a lot of set back and found foot room with shorter clutch fork mod. keeps the left quad in shape.
    I would like to see a little more robust bracketry in the front and lose that FFR radiator mount attached to the upper control arm. Getting a wider, taller radiator and bumper would go along with the truck theme.
    No trailer Hitch on a truck is like no turbo on an 818!! Something's gotta pull the R chassis!
    Brian;
    I'm not that familiar with the FF Cobra replica line but IIRC they are front steer and I think all the geometry is dialed in better from years of
    improvements on that kit. Jim kept everything very tight and thus very lightweight on the original 33 design so that limited a lot of options.

Battery size and location on the truck chassis was also something we discussed on my visit and something feedback was already suggesting.

I would love to see a MKII design of the 33 chassis that was opened up a bit in the front allowing front steer and more engine room including
    further forward engine placement options. In the past we have also talked about more round tubes with bends vs sq tubes with more welds etc.

The Plymouth wider grille and the trucks more straight up style grille are both steps in the more space is better kit where options and comfort trump weight.
    Changing the rack location and the birdcage the coil overs fit in would be the next 2 logical steps in that direction. I'm not a Chevy guy nor a hater of any
    marque but after seeing Glens vette donor coupe and the longer 33 chassis they are just meant for each other. I may push Jim and Dave to think about all
    they learned from the GTM on the Chevy stuff and offer that scenario on the final truck design. LS motors, torque tubes, transaxles and vette suspension and
    brakes are all well sorted out components so why not use them here.

As far as the no trailer hitch comment the 33 is so short of trunk space that it needs one too. I did hide mine behind the license plate but it's on there.
    Would you really choose the truck over a sedan delivery if both were offered?
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would go sedan delivery only due to my personal preference in body styles. Wife said she liked the pickup so I'm right on track as usual. In reality I would be more interested in changing the Hotrod to a sanctioning body friendly cage with a slightly different frame arrangement in the front. The engine must sit back and weight transfer must bias to the rear on acceleration and front on braking. Truck hot rods don't really excite me. I have a 58 town panel to build, and a 59 D200 to restore for a tow vehicle. If someone asked me to build a hot rod pickup I would, but, my next fiberglass body is more likely to be a Willy's pro street or 53 Studebaker. The chevy option makes a lot of sense if you recall the old powerglide in the back concept. Hard to beat the options available in the Bow Tie World. But let's not forget the Flatheads, nailheads, and parrot heads in the process. Once you go vette chassis you just limited options and drove cost out of reach for some. If I want to put a straight six and stick 3 speed in it I want a stripped base kit. Lose all the paraphernalia we've been throwing out anyway and get the kit price down.
    What I really want is a common universal tube chassis that performs and allows multiple body selections. The Hotrod is close on that criteria, just needs a little tweeking. Try a 37-40 coupe for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Liking the look of full fenders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Liking the look of full fenders.
    Me too, but the headlights are kinda small.
    Dale

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    A reminder that chassis work is as important as paint... And get back on topic!! The hood ornament isn't on the grille.

Post Thanks / Like
    A reminder that chassis work is as important as paint... And get back on topic!! The hood ornament isn't on the grille.
    Give us some inspiration and post pictures of the 58 and 59 trucks.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    scan0003 (640x459).jpgscan0022-Dodges (640x446).jpg
    Found some old scans without Hood ornaments...

Post Thanks / Like
    scan0003 (640x459).jpgscan0022-Dodges (640x446).jpg
    Found some old scans without Hood ornaments...
    That's what I like about hotrods now compared to the past. Nothing is out of bounds and anything is worthy
    of a full restoration. I really thought IF FF ever made a truck it would be a truggy. Cool pics.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Count me in, was looking a older pickup for next project but don't want to deal with rust. This could be it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy561 View Post
    Count me in, was looking a older pickup for next project but don't want to deal with rust. This could be it!
    Perhaps by the time FFR get this kit up and available you'll be more likely having to deal with arthritis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    Perhaps by the time FFR get this kit up and available you'll be more likely having to deal with arthritis.
    Ha! Made me laugh out loud at work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David, I was at FFR to pick up my 33 and yes there is truth to this, saw the near complete version of the pickup while there and they told me it would be ready and revealed at the upcoming SEMA. Could not take pictures however I can tell you it will look spectacular!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the update!

Was the truck painted, or still under construction? Any other details? I still haven't seen any other pics. I suppose a week or so before SEMA they will release a couple of spy shots...

SEMA is always an exciting time of year @ FFR!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Thanks for the update!

Was the truck painted, or still under construction? Any other details? I still haven't seen any other pics. I suppose a week or so before SEMA they will release a couple of spy shots...

I'm betting it's still in Gelcoat at SEMA
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update!

Hey David,

It was not in paint however it was going off to paint yesterday. Saw the motor and transmission and it was painted (like the color, very traditional for a truck), my understanding is that the truck will match the paint color of the engine. Don't want to be a spoiler but it will have a "classic" truck hot rod color (they ask I don't say what color). The base frame is the same with modifications to allow for the bed and relocation of the fuel cell. The lines are clean and after I finish this one I will seriously be looking hard at this as a second build! Don't expect to haul anything in the bed as it is shallow, but that's fine with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely love the 33 Pick Up concept....hope they do it

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I'm betting it's still in Gelcoat at SEMA
    DB
    I've NEVER seen anything from FFR still in gel coat. Even the "cut-away" Roadster is fully painted. I'll be there on Oct-31st and the FFR booth is always my first stop.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of pictures please

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Lots of pictures please
    I Absolutely agree, need lots of pictures from those lucky enough to go to SEMA

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic! BUt I'd rather have a Sedan Delivery or even just a Sedan version of the 33. I need to be able to move the seat baaaaaack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    JUST sent out via email:

"For the past year and a half, we've been working on an all-steel body for the '33 Hot Rod AND we've been secretly working on a pick-up truck version! My original plan was to introduce the steel body and then follow it up with the pick-up truck. Unfortunately, the steel body has been repeatedly delayed (although we are finally close to shipping production units more than 6 months late!), and now it looks like the pick-up truck will arrive about the same time.

The crew is busy building the first truck to be introduced at this year's SEMA Show. If you can't make the show, we will have full details, photos, and specs on our website on Tuesday, October 31st. Stay tuned!"

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the 33' pickup chassis in the background of this shot:

Post Thanks / Like
    That engine though...

Very sexy piece of hardware!!

I thought sure we'd see some more teaser pics from Dave in his newsletter. I guess we will have to make do with the couple he shared. I look forward to seeing more details when it is unveiled at SEMA.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    JUST sent out via email:

"For the past year and a half, we've been working on an all-steel body for the '33 Hot Rod AND we've been secretly working on a pick-up truck version! My original plan was to introduce the steel body and then follow it up with the pick-up truck. Unfortunately, the steel body has been repeatedly delayed (although we are finally close to shipping production units more than 6 months late!), and now it looks like the pick-up truck will arrive about the same time.

The crew is busy building the first truck to be introduced at this year's SEMA Show. If you can't make the show, we will have full details, photos, and specs on our website on Tuesday, October 31st. Stay tuned!"

Where did you get this email David? I signed up for FFR letter years ago, but the last I got was Sept 20, titled "Three Weeks, 1,500 Miles, and 11.65 @ 115 MPH!". Is there another subscription I should sign up for? I entered my email address again just to be sure, perhaps it got dropped.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice rear bumper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Where did you get this email David? I signed up for FFR letter years ago, but the last I got was Sept 20, titled "Three Weeks, 1,500 Miles, and 11.65 @ 115 MPH!". Is there another subscription I should sign up for? I entered my email address again just to be sure, perhaps it got dropped.
    I got the email, it's in the regular news and events newsletter you signup for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian
    I hope that FF throws away the box on the next project, and whether it's 33 based or not it needs to haul more than 2 people.
    A master sedan body with chop top and some original looking fenders and running boards would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    JUST posted to Facebook:

"This week the crew is building our very first Hot Rod pick-up truck. The car will debut at SEMA, and we will have full details on our website at the end of this month.

Dave Smith
    President"

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one very pretty setup!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave and the crew definitely have my attention.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    JUST posted to Facebook:

"This week the crew is building our very first Hot Rod pick-up truck. The car will debut at SEMA, and we will have full details on our website at the end of this month.

Dave Smith
    President"
    I gotta feeling it's more of a treat than trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm like a fat kid in a candy store-or a woman at the shoe store-as soon as I make my mind up on which car to build, they bring out a fresh hot batch of hot rod truck and I'm right back where I was before I started! I guess I'll get in line and wait to see the finished product, but so far I'm really leanin' towards doin' the truck FIRST! No wait! The roadster first, then the truck! Maybe I'll hit the lottery and buy both at the same time!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was fortunate enough to be out at factory five yesterday, and working with Tony and the crew on the truck project. It's beautiful, and of course the blueprint engine fired right up Can't wait for you guys to see it at the Sema release. I think I have a new favorite FFR kit!

Johnny M
    Director of New Project Development
    [email protected]
    www.BluePrintEngines.com
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The copperhead road song is dancing in my head...
    Very interested to see the back half of the frame. Armchair pontification if I were considering another 33 build IRS desired, but not required. Has to be a sedan delivery or Vicky. Would I put a Willy's nose on this one? I would consider a stripped stage 1 kit and then do something like this.

1) Stretched Willy's panel or chopped Vicky body. Maybe a humpback panel grafted to the pickup cab?.
    2) Soft springs and stiff anti roll bars, maybe bags on the rear if a straight axle...
    3) Has to be a big block this time, Dale keeps pickin' on my baby Hemi
    4) Has to have an automatic, A/C, cruise control, and killer sound system
    5) Tow Hitch rugged enough to haul #640 cross country
    6) 12 way seat and telescoping column so anyone can drive it
    7) Back up camera , heads up display,
    8) Some crazy mural painted on each side

Hmm I know I can get a stroked 392 in it with a GM overdrive, Would stroked 460 with E40D fit? with Jon Kaase Heads? Powder coated Copper? It would compliment the Desoto Gold theme...

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interested to see the back half of the frame. IRS desired, but not required. Has to be a sedan delivery or Vicky. Would I put a Willy's nose on this one?
    1) Stretched Willy's panel or chopped Vicky body. Maybe a humpback panel grafted to the pickup cab?.
    2) Soft springs and stiff anti roll bars, maybe bags on the rear if a straight axle...
    3) Has to be a big block this time, Dale keeps pickin' on my baby Hemi
    4) Has to have an automatic, A/C, cruise control, and killer sound system
    5) Tow Hitch rugged enough to haul #640 cross country
    6) 12 way seat and telescoping column so anyone can drive it
    7) Back up camera , heads up display,
    8) Some crazy mural painted on each side
    My observations and ramblings on the next 33;
    The back half of the truck frame was mostly just a cage around the Cobra style gas tank and a few bars to make the bed platform.
    The truck cab looks pretty tall in person but I guess you could graft a vista wagon roof behind it for the "hump"
    The longer wheelbase and extra weight might soften the ride enough and "bars" are a must for me too.

For the record I like Desoto Gold too.
    You pretty much described my choices except for the "humpback" that wasn't something I would have come up with.
    Dale
    Last edited by myjones; 10-13-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Man, What A Teaser!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Man, What A Teaser!

Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Come join the party at SEMA so you can see it in person in a couple weeks, I'll buy you a barley pop on the FF night.
    Dale

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Come join the party at SEMA so you can see it in person in a couple weeks, I'll buy you a barley pop on the FF night.
    Dale
    Would love to be there, but the finances have taken a recent unforeseen hit.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rives-Tomorrow!

Hope to be there next year, maybe with the Dark Side Dart MK-4, but that's just a sketchy plan at this point.

Please Hoist One For Me, Okay Hoist Two Instead!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The truck cab looks pretty tall in person but I guess you could graft a vista wagon roof behind it for the "hump"
    The longer wheelbase and extra weight might soften the ride enough and "bars" are a must for me too.

For the record I like Desoto Gold too.
    You pretty much described my choices except for the "humpback" that wasn't something I would have come up with.
    Dale[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the humpback either and I'm all out of Vista Cruisers. The Willy's thing is getting in my head and I'm not talking Kaiser Jeep either. Maybe just a Willy's pickup vice panel. I cant' find a Willys panel in fiberglass and I wouldn't cut up an original. I can find a willy's pick up in fiberglass though. and I don't like gassers btw. so a fat fender pickup that corners is more attractive than a "tall boy" 33 to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    JUST posted to Facebook:

Dave Smith
    President"
    I'm liking the satin black chassis with the gold accents and copper engine bits. Really cool!
    David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast