Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing the body question (after watching ffr how to video)

Future Mk4 builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Removing the body question (after watching ffr how to video)

After watching the body removal video by Dan at factory five, I just have one question.
    It scares the poo out of me to see the rear end of the car bend and twist up when he lifts it off the frame. I always thought that you had to put a 2 x 4 board in between the dash and the rear to keep it from flexing like that.

I already cut a 2 x 4 board and put it in to support it, but now I'm worried that I won't be able to lift the back end off with it in place, not allowing it to flex.

Can anybody advise me if the board is okay to stay or is it going to stop me from pulling the body off the frame. Thanks!

Fyi, i also posted this in the tech area but noticed this gets more views so I added here too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went to the Build School this past week and we used the 2x4 support. The body is pretty resilient and it came off the frame and was put back on the frame with the 2x4 support with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shady302, I feel your concern. I've had the body on/off 5 times now and the body flexing is no problem. In the initial stages of the build, I stored the body on a buck with all the support necessary. When I moved to the body work phase the buck was abandoned and I hung the body from the garage ceiling via ropes with hooks. This alone would have the body hanging from the ceiling like a banana. I cut a 2x4 to span between the rear cockpit wall lip and windshield cowl lip.

Removing/ installing the body can be done by myself. Removing I clear the rear first and hoist a bit. Once the body has some movement, I install the center spupport and clear the nose. Installing the body is the reverse, hook the nose, remove the center support, install the rear.

If the body didn't flex, there would be no way to install or remove it once the panels are installed. It's going to flex but just go slow and all will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is easy man. Sometimes I have to take it off by myself, and with that I remove the front first and then the back... Just an idea if you don't like to see it bend so much... But nothing to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the same thing after watching the vid last year. Every time I took mine on/off I didn't need to flex it nearly that much. My method:

- 2 people, 4 after final paint just to be safe.
    - Hook the front first, then pull the main body down while having a brace in the center.
    - Once you hit the rear aluminum sides remove the center brace.
    - Slight flex in body to get it over the rear aluminum.
    - Adjust to get it where it should be, then pull the sides down and hook them under the floor pan.

I found this approach allows for very little body flex and risk of cracking bodywork/paint.