Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drive Shaft length

Post Thanks / Like

Drive Shaft length

So for you guys that have installed a SBC and the 700R4 transmission, what length of drive shaft are you using?

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't have a driveshaft, get the car assembled to the point where you can take the measurements needed and have a custom shaft built at a place like Dyno Tech. They have instructions on how to measure, on their website. It only takes about a week to get one.

http://www.dynotecheng.com/downloads...%20to%20CL.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a FF drive shaft for that configuration. The stage 1 that I bought was set up for a SBC / 700R4 I switched to a LS1/TKO6. The drive shaft is 33.75 inches long with 27 spline front tube.
    Not sure where you are located...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just north of Dallas up in Frisco TX.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with my build. I had to get a custom drive shaft made. I am running a sbc with a 700r4 transmission. I ended up with a driveshaft that was 39.25 inches long. The issue with ff sending you the driveshaft is you will not get the correct ends. I had 4 driveshafts sent to me and all of them were wrong. I think the shop charged me $150.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara Dave View Post
    I had the same problem with my build. I had to get a custom drive shaft made. I am running a sbc with a 700r4 transmission. I ended up with a driveshaft that was 39.25 inches long. The issue with ff sending you the driveshaft is you will not get the correct ends. I had 4 driveshafts sent to me and all of them were wrong. I think the shop charged me $150.
    Dave that is why I was originally asking. I have a drive shaft that came out of the same Corvette that the engine and transmission came from. I figured if it was long enough I could have a shop cut it down. But was not sure what length I would be shooting for.

My concern is if FFR sent Bakerboerne a 33.75 and yours ended up with 39.25 then that is quite a difference. Either one of y'all go with an IRS? That might make a difference but I think it would be hard to come up with a 5.5" difference.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit is set up as a 3 link with standard Ford rear end from FF. Not sure how you can get a 39 in drive shaft in one of these... I guess if you are including the front yoke... Anyway my son lives in Lewisville ... when I go up to visit I could bring up the drive shaft. It has the round plate on the back that bolts up to the round plate on the front of the rear end... driveShaft1.jpg driveShaft2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome. If it fits how much do you want for it?

Tim
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    If it fits $100 I will bring it up next trip. You try it when you have your engine and trans installed and if it works then you can pay me. Will be going up to see grand kids by end of October.

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit is a standard 4 link and the standard rearend. Sorry for the delay had some problems with the car been on my back for a week changing the transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tim
    My son will be in Houston this weekend. If you are still interested in drive shaft I will give it to him and he will have it at his house in Lewisville. Just send me a pm or post back here.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be great. I am getting closer to getting the motor and transmission in so it will be great to have a drive shaft to try out.

Tim
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    DaveS53 has the right idea -- assemble the drivetrain fist then measure to see what you actually need. It's hard to go wrong having one made to exactly what you need and it really is not that expensive. The driveshaft is such an important part of your build and if it were to fail can be a serious safety issue for you and your passenger. This is not an area to cut corners on.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    DaveS53 has the right idea -- assemble the drivetrain fist then measure to see what you actually need. It's hard to go wrong having one made to exactly what you need and it really is not that expensive. The driveshaft is such an important part of your build and if it were to fail can be a serious safety issue for you and your passenger. This is not an area to cut corners on.
    Ditto! It's what I did and thank God we had a drive shaft shop in my home town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pict you can use for measurement. drive.jpg FF sales these for the standard SBC/700R4 27 spline... no magic required.

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally asked the question because I was still a ways away from having my engine and transmission ready to be dropped into the frame. I was curious as to the length that was going to be required. I was also thinking about seeing if I could use the drive shaft from the 89 Vette that I got the motor and trans from. I figure that there are plenty of drive shaft shops around the DFW area that could cut it down to size. I was however, not going to be getting anything cut until I knew the exact measurements once the motor, trans, and rear end were fully installed.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017