Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rear shock help

Post Thanks / Like

rear shock help

got my shocks yesterday installing today on 8.8 ford solid axle somthing seems wrong if axle hangs free looks like driveshaft
    would hit frame !! should there be limit straps installed?? please help

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the limiting straps were only for donor shocks and springs. If your concerned you could add them.
    mike

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed new shocks and asked that same question. Had Pro-Shocks front/rear and installed the limiting cables that came with my MK-II kit. Switched to some high quality double-adjustables and checked on the use of the cables. I emailed the vendor, the manufacturer, a pro-builder and FFR. Got two different responses back. Two said "Yes, you need to limit the drop of the axle" and the other two said "No, they're not needed."

So, just to be safe, I re-installed the cables. Figured it can't hurt.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I may have the same situation, going to see when I get driveshaft installed, and go from there, never got any straps with the kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I just installed new shocks and asked that same question. Had Pro-Shocks front/rear and installed the limiting cables that came with my MK-II kit. Switched to some high quality double-adjustables and checked on the use of the cables. I emailed the vendor, the manufacturer, a pro-builder and FFR. Got two different responses back. Two said "Yes, you need to limit the drop of the axle" and the other two said "No, they're not needed."

So, just to be safe, I re-installed the cables. Figured it can't hurt.

Ray
    i think i will make some straps

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you're making like Bo and Luke Duke you'll never have the axle at full droop while moving.

Jeff