BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New nose headlight lens

Post Thanks / Like

New nose headlight lens

Anybody come up with a more elegant method of attaching the headlight covers. I am a bit uncomfortable with the double stick tape method. I'd like to be able to remove the covers if something needs replacing. My old Lotus Europa had similar Plexiglas covers which were held on with small screw in clips. A nice aluminum surround would be really nice.

Just registered the car, I just need my tuner to delete my CEL codes so I can pass inspection. Tons of mistakes, but most people won't notice them. Over time I hope to redo a few things, but for now I want to get it on the road and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did. It may seem a bit daunting at first, but it's really not that tough to do.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-and-Removable

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked out your thread. I'm more thinking of making the lens cover removable as opposed to lens bucket, since mine is already in and sealed from behind. Sort of like this picture of an old XKE headlight.Headlightcovers.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna be tough. Without a trim ring, any kind of fastener going through the lens and fastened tightly enough to seal out water will most likely distort and eventually crack the plastic. I can envision a carbon fiber trim ring maybe 1/8" thick, wide enough to cover the lens seat. I would bevel the top surface a bit for aesthetics and use a LOT of 8-32 flush fasteners to spread out the clamping forces.

Post Thanks / Like
    A trim ring is what I'd like. Carbon fiber would be too much to ask for, but I think an aluminum piece similar to the vent trim the FFR supplies for the mesh would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Factory Five about this, here is the response
    "If you paint around the outside edge of the headlight lens like you can see we do on our cars, you could silicone the lens and then you won’t have to worry about water. However, there is honestly no good way to go about changing out the lights with this type of set-up. That’s why we use LED lights, the chance of them burning out is slim to none. "
    I painted the OUTSIDE of my lights instead of inside as I am not sure the paint will adhere to the silicon and fail.
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Any special paint or primer to use. This was my second choice as to finishing off the nose. Using silicon seems easier that trying to use the double sided tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed my lens after being tapped pretty easily by running a 90 degree pick between the lens and the fiberglass. They came off without any trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    By a 90 degree pick, are you referring to something like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/windsh...ool-60298.html

Post Thanks / Like