Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starter Solenoid

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Starter Solenoid

Don't see one in my boxes. Don't see in inventory sheets. Don't see it backordered. Can someone tell me what box it should be in or which one to I need?

Post Thanks / Like
    The solenoid will be on your starter. Lots of discussion if a starter solenoid is needed besides that one. Mine doesn't and works fine. I too searched my boxes and called FFR about it. You're not alone with this.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe things have changed recently but the last complete kit I did included an OEM Ford style remote solenoid to be used with the Ron Francis harness. As I recall it was boxed with the other miscellaneous electrical components such as the horns, etc.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    According to the website:

Gauges, Dash, and Electrical Assembly:
    End those wiring harness woes. Integrated harness and electronic gauges are just the start of this massive assembly. Choose either vintage/replica or modern/performance gauges to complement an authentic street style dash. Complete assembly comes with covered aluminum dash, dash buttons, toggles and indicator lights, switches, and horn.

MK4 pre-cut aluminum dashboard with fasteners
    Padded dash cover, black vinyl
    Custom fit chassis wiring harness
    Ignition switch with FFR keys, headlight switch, three-position turn signal switch, starter solenoid and horns

My horns are in box 20, but no solenoid. Instead of waiting for FFR, which should I buy?
    Last edited by jlfernan; 07-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1990 Mustang GT.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My kit's a couple years old now. I don't remember ever seeing one, and there's no starter solenoid on my parts order list. I checked the page that includes the chassis wiring harness, horns, ignition switch components, etc. Not there. Guessing it's probably not an inadvertent omission.

Post Thanks / Like
    My new kit I received in March did not have one and was not listed on the shipping manifest either. With the new mini starters, you really don't need one. I put a battery switch in the engine compartment to use as a junction box which would the only reason to use one with a mini.

Post Thanks / Like
    You definitely do not need a firewall solenoid. The only problem you run into w/o one is, depending on battery location and electrical options installed, you can end up w/ too many cables on the starter battery lug. I like to use something like this
    https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4721...nction-Block-/
    mounted on the firewall or top of passenger footbox. Or you may want this if you have some extra accessories to power
    https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4722...d-3-8-160-Amp/
    or
    https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4609...e-Module-60A-/
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My complete kit from August 2015 didn't have one either. X-whatever on you don't need one if using a PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction) mini-starter with an integrated solenoid, which is now pretty much standard. A junction block or bus bar can be used to gather the wires instead. Or I use a front mounted master disconnect.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ... Or I use a front mounted master disconnect.
    Now that is a great idea. They usually have pretty long studs so easy to stack up several hot leads if needed.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.