Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Vinyl Dash

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Vinyl Dash

A couple of weeks ago I stop by FFR to pick up a radiator. Base build, I am that point that I need one“ I live in CT so its about a 2 hour drive” While I was there I also picked up the Vinyl Dash on a whim. “I wanted a glove box and did not want to invest in the effort of building or adding a bought one to the aluminum dash. I liked the idea of the vinyl Dash and that It had a glove box already built into it. So I pulled the trigger. After I got home, I noticed that it did not come with instructions. So I promptly went on the FFR parts site as they post pdf installation instructions. I found the vinyl dash link and click on it and to my dismay. I got a “404 Not Found” error. They still need to fix this! Anyways, I do like the dash and I like the look of the dash with all the gauges in it. Very well done! “In my humble opinion” except for the door of the glove box. This is a great idea but poorly executed. So here is what I came up with to improve my dash. I have a Aluminum dash that I will not be using anymore so I decided to cut it up. First I decided to use the old aluminum dash as a backing to stiffing up the vinyl dash. Second when I cut out the glove box area I would re-purpose the aluminum from that area to help the dash door.

So I made a template that would fit into the dash door, I routed out the dash aluminum to fit into the door drilled out the mounting holes. added vinyl and attached it to the door
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    aluminum behind Vinyl dash
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if Pictures are out of order, its my first time posting pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh here is my final template

IMG_20170723_172258.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Oh here is my final template

IMG_20170723_172258.jpg
    So you reinforced the glove compartment door with the aluminum and used the remaining aluminum to reinforce the complete vinyl dash? I just have the vinyl dash and thought it could use some reinforcement!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    So you reinforced the glove compartment door with the aluminum and used the remaining aluminum to reinforce the complete vinyl dash? I just have the vinyl dash and thought it could use some reinforcement!
    Yes, when I got my kit, FF did not offer the Vinyl dash.

I see you are in Longmeadow. I work in Enfield

Post Thanks / Like
    I did basically the same with my dash/glove box. FFR told me to glue the hinge to the inside of the door. I don't think that is enough surface area for the adhesive with the amount of use the door gets. So I cut an insert for the door face like you did and used the adhesive recommended to hold that to the entire door. Only difference is I riveted the hinges to the insert and filed them down a bit. Gives it a nice strong look and feel. Wish it would have come with a door pull behind the lock button. I fixed that by putting in a medicine cabinet like push to open cylinder there. Works great.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    JRL16 , Do you have a picture of the pushbutton?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, no pics. I'm a little tech challenged. A lot according to my wife. Bless her heart. More of a nuts and bolts guy. The push button cylinders are standard medicine cabinet hardware for a hinged mirror or the like. Couple of bucks at most. Attached one to the top next to the lock closest to center. Nothing on the door since it is somewhat of a friction fit. Just push the door in at top and the cylinder pushes the door out about a half inch. Closes same way.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone used something like this?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1219a82/=18nnr0v

I'd love to have a push button latch that I can still lock if I want to. I just don't like the black plastic and haven't found one in chrome or stainless anywhere.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Has anyone used something like this?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#1219a82/=18nnr0v

I'd love to have a push button latch that I can still lock if I want to. I just don't like the black plastic and haven't found one in chrome or stainless anywhere.
    Do a search for VW 111857131L Glove Box Lock with keys. Really nice glovebox button. Learned about it from another forum member and used it on my last build. I found one on eBay. They're available elsewhere as well. In the $20 - 25 range. Looks like this:

To the OP, nice job fixing up that plastic dash and glovebox. One come with my kit and I chose not to use it for the reasons you mention plus I really wanted a competition layout. But you did good.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have some pictures of the vinyl dash being install on the frame and how much over hang does the dash have?

Post Thanks / Like
    No overhang of the dash tube in the middle and about 3/8 inch on each edge.
    JRL16

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Do a search for VW 111857131L Glove Box Lock with keys. Really nice glovebox button. Learned about it from another forum member and used it on my last build. I found one on eBay. They're available elsewhere as well. In the $20 - 25 range. Looks like this:

To the OP, nice job fixing up that plastic dash and glovebox. One come with my kit and I chose not to use it for the reasons you mention plus I really wanted a competition layout. But you did good.
    Thanks, Paul. The only thing that would make it better is if it were round. I just picked one up off of eBay for $15.49 with free shipping.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread