BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: steering column length

Post Thanks / Like

steering column length

I just bought my mark 3 roadster and was wondering if the steering column is adjustable as to length? I am shorter than the previous owner and wanted the steering wheel a little closer to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure this will help you out since I have a Mark IV and I am not as familiar with them but take I was asking about the exact same thing on the mark IV a couple of weeks ago. Take a look at my post and you can see what I did. If the mark 3 is different i am sure an expert will weigh in.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...teering-Column

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    My MkII is similar. It's been quite a while since I changed it but loosening the screws on the collar allows the steering wheel to move toward or away from the dash.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had both a Mk3 and Mk4. Both use the same steering column assembly. You should be able to loosen the two set screws in the upper steering column pillow block bearing (right behind the dash) and slide the inner shaft out some. Couple of caveats: They do get rusty, so it could be a little stubborn. Some builders have experienced looseness or slop in the steering column, traced to this sliding joint, and employed various means to eliminate. Hopefully whoever built your car didn't do something that makes it difficult to move. Like putting a bolt through it, wedging shims in there, I've seen some that even were welded. Something to watch for. Also, if you have a turn signal assembly on the steering column, for appearance reasons you may need to also adjust that.

My only question is if you are shorter than the previous owner, are the pedals OK? They too might be a little far. Maybe moving the seat or putting in seat sliders and leaving everything else alone would be a better option.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies. took the bolts off the upper bearing and loosened the allen set screws and it moved fairly easy, guess I got lucky it wasn't rusted.