BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: License Plate Light mounting

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

License Plate Light mounting

I have read various threads on getting the license plate to clear the trunk handle, including notching the plate, running a hole in the plate or notching the light cover to allow the plate to slide up into the cover. All good ideas. I went with notching the light cover but the plate is still too close to the trunk handle base. Maybe plate heights vary, but in Wisconsin my measures 6 1/16" tall. If I move the plate light mount a bit higher on the trunk it will work but I'm above the ridge on the trunk boss. Has anyone encountered this and built up the ridge by filling in the gap with HSRF during body work? Or is this a bad idea?

I hope I've described it properly.

Also, I find the trunk lock handle pre-drilled holes to be slightly off center. Curious whether others have found this.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure 6-inch height for U.S. license plates is standard. My Michigan one is just over 6-inches as well. For the times I've done the mod you've described, I still had to put a small notch in the plate to get it just high enough to clear the handle at the bottom. The notch is about 1/8-inch and completely inside the light fixture. If you're not painted yet, it would be easy enough to raise the fixture slightly and feather it in when doing the body work. That would work too.

Yes, I've also noticed things can be a bit off center at the back. Between the holes for the fixture, the pad for the fixture, the trunk handle hole, and the hole for the trunk latch rod, it can be interesting. Before paint is the time to get that all sorted out. If you're doing stripes, they will need to match wherever things end up.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Pretty sure 6-inch height for U.S. license plates is standard. My Michigan one is just over 6-inches as well. For the times I've done the mod you've described, I still had to put a small notch in the plate to get it just high enough to clear the handle at the bottom. The notch is about 1/8-inch and completely inside the light fixture. If you're not painted yet, it would be easy enough to raise the fixture slightly and feather it in when doing the body work. That would work too.

Yes, I've also noticed things can be a bit off center at the back. Between the holes for the fixture, the pad for the fixture, the trunk handle hole, and the hole for the trunk latch rod, it can be interesting. Before paint is the time to get that all sorted out. If you're doing stripes, they will need to match wherever things end up.
    Thanks for the response as I want to keep moving on assembly and don't want to get too hung up on things easily addressed. I will try notching the plate hidden by the light cover to minimize and body feathering. I will also reposition the trunk latch and rod as no body work nor painting is done yet.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    See my posts #8 and 23 in this thread. This is what I'm doing, which sounds like what you are proposing. Body work won't happen for a few more months, but I'm pretty sure it will all work out. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-License-Plate
    Last edited by boat737; 07-27-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread