FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New premium dash

Post Thanks / Like

New premium dash

Hi, I just upgraded to the premium dash from factory five, everything was going fine until putting the switches back especially the ignition switch. It's very difficult to thread them on because the the premium dash is much thicker than the original aluminum one it replaces. How have you dealt with this?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    So ....with 170 views and no answer, should I assume the "ask a Factory Five Tech" is not monitored by a Factory Five Tech?

Post Thanks / Like
    Harley. Not sure why your having problems with this. I just did one last week and the ignition switch fit fine. Maybe the thickness varies?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    That's weird, because I wanted to put phenolic tags on my toggles, but I don't have enough threads left to do that, and I really had to fight to get the ignition switch on with not many threads holding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
    Hi, I just upgraded to the premium dash from factory five, everything was going fine until putting the switches back especially the ignition switch. It's very difficult to thread them on because the the premium dash is much thicker than the original aluminum one it replaces. How have you dealt with this?

Thanks
    I assume this is the plastic pre-covered dash with the glove box? If so, yes I had the same challenges. I found that once I had the first half a thread on I could get the front ring at the angle I wanted it, then screwed the switch in from the back. Once on, you can figure out the correct starting point based on the switch orientation and where you started your ring at. Back it off, adjust, then put it on for the final time. I also found a small flat head screw driver helped keep the front ring in place (using one of the two notches). The ignition and wiper switches were the most difficult. Once you put it on a few times and compress the material it makes it easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can tighten a little more each day as the material compresses. This will seem like a cake walk when you get to the glove box door.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.