Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NPT fuel fittings weeping

Post Thanks / Like

NPT fuel fittings weeping

Hi Guys!

I FIRED THE MOTOR YESTERDAY! But only very briefly since I still need to get some stuff done before letting it idle for a while and really run. This junkyard motor I rescued came back to life. No hard cranking, no sputtering. Once fuel made into the bowls, this thing exploded to life. Timing sounded good too even though I did it quickly and just kind of eyeballed it.

Here is where I would like some advice. The inlet and outlet on my mechanical fuel pump are weeping fuel. I can tell because the liquid thread sealer I used on is becoming runny and diluted with fuel. So its not leaking leaking, but weeping. I am nervous about cranking down even more on the brass hose fittings that go into the pump. What do you guys suggest?

Scottie

Post Thanks / Like
    I got nothing to solve your problem, but WAY TO GO! Surely there's a video somewhere...

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    I got nothing to solve your problem, but WAY TO GO! Surely there's a video somewhere...

John
    LOL! Will be taking video with my father today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Hi Guys!

I FIRED THE MOTOR YESTERDAY! But only very briefly since I still need to get some stuff done before letting it idle for a while and really run. This junkyard motor I rescued came back to life. No hard cranking, no sputtering. Once fuel made into the bowls, this thing exploded to life. Timing sounded good too even though I did it quickly and just kind of eyeballed it.

Here is where I would like some advice. The inlet and outlet on my mechanical fuel pump are weeping fuel. I can tell because the liquid thread sealer I used on is becoming runny and diluted with fuel. So its not leaking leaking, but weeping. I am nervous about cranking down even more on the brass hose fittings that go into the pump. What do you guys suggest?

Scottie
    Congrats on your first start! A big milestone.

For the fuel pump fittings, assuming they really are NPT (ones I've used were) then the seal is made by tapered threads. They do need to be tight and sealant is mandatory. Make sure they're not bottoming out. But also the right number of threads going in. Thread engagement should be 4 to 6 turns. Another hint: Some instructions I've seen for NPT's say to screw it in and tighten several times without sealant to burnish the threads. Then apply sealant and final tighten.

If the sealant is running out, maybe you used the wrong kind or didn't allow it to set long enough? Most I've used (like Loctite 565) say to wait 24 hours. Although at the relatively low pressure of a mechanical fuel pump, they should seal pretty much immediately.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-26-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pull the fittings and replace them.
    Use teflon tape and tighten the new fittings down.
    This should do the trick.

NOTE: Remember that when you disconnect the fittings fuel will siphon from the tank so be careful any time you are dealing with any fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congrats on your first start! A big milestone.

For the fuel pump fittings, assuming they really are NPT (ones I've used were) then the seal is made by tapered threads. They do need to be tight and sealant is mandatory. Make sure they're not bottoming out. But also the right number of threads going in. Thread engagement should be 4 to 6 turns. Another hint: Some instructions I've seen for NPT's say to screw it in and tighten several times without sealant to burnish the threads. Then apply sealant and final tighten.

If the sealant is running out, maybe you used the wrong kind or didn't allow it to set long enough? Most I've used (like Loctite 565) say to wait 24 hours. Although at the relatively low pressure of a mechanical fuel pump, they should seal pretty much immediately.
    Edward - It is a sealant that doesn't dry I believe. It is PTFE rated. I will check to make sure it is not bottoming out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Pull the fittings and replace them.
    Use teflon tape and tighten the new fittings down.
    This should do the trick.

NOTE: Remember that when you disconnect the fittings fuel will siphon from the tank so be careful any time you are dealing with any fuel.
    Is there a reason I should replace the fittings? Can't I just clean them up and use teflon tape? I recall reading not to use tape and to go with the liquid sealer, but not sure of the reasoning behind that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no need to replace the fittings, just clean off the sealant apply at least 4 turns of tape. Wrap the tape clockwise and don't let the tape lap past the end of the fitting. I always hold a fitting or pipe in my left hand and the roll of tape in my right, with the running clock wise over the top of the roll. That makes the tape come off the roll easily as it's applied to the fitting.

I get far more experience wrapping lawn sprinkler fittings than anything. PVC threads can be under-size and require at least 6 turns to create a seal without a lot of torque.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 07-26-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    There is no need to replace the fittings, just clean off the sealant apply at least 4 turns of tape. Wrap the tape clockwise and don' let the tape lap past the end of the fitting. I always hold a fitting or pipe in my left hand and the roll of tape in my right, with the running clock wise over the top of the roll. That makes the tape come off the roll easily as it's applied to the fitting.

I get far more experience wrapping lawn sprinkler fittings than anything. PVC threads can be under-size and require at least 6 turns to create a seal without a lot of torque.
    Dave,

Thanks for the info. I will make sure I have enough turns on the threads, if it still weeps, then I will pull out and tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first start and it sounds like you have a plan for the weeping.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    Congrats on the first start and it sounds like you have a plan for the weeping.
    Thanks Bill. Can't wait to get home from work and get back at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I always use this stuff, and make sure it's only on the threads, not the sealing part of the fitting.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-9904
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Edward - It is a sealant that doesn't dry I believe. It is PTFE rated. I will check to make sure it is not bottoming out.
    Right. Most don't get hard. But they still have a cure time. Check the instructions. I see multiple recommendations for Teflon tape. FWIW, many don't recommend tape for fuel lines. Don't flame me. Just reporting what I've read and heard multiple times. I've not had any trouble getting a good seal with any of the mainline sealants from Loctite, Permatex, or the ARP product mentioned.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Right. Most don't get hard. But they still have a cure time. Check the instructions. I see multiple recommendations for Teflon tape. FWIW, many don't recommend tape for fuel lines. Don't flame me. Just reporting what I've read and heard multiple times. I've not had any trouble getting a good seal with any of the mainline sealants from Loctite, Permatex, or the ARP product mentioned.
    Edward - Thanks for the response. Trust me, just like you, I have heard to not to use tape. But I can't find a good reason. I'll let you guys know if I am still having trouble after I run it tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Scott, mostly good news. You'll get the weeping stopped quickly. BTW I 'm planning to do my eng/trans install Fri 8/11. I've asked John but he is not sure he will make it. Craig will be coming thankfully. A local to me builder will be here also. You're invited if you don't have to work. Waiting on the video.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 07-26-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Save the teflon tape for the plumber -- it has no place in automotive. Using teflon tape will result in pieces of the tape being sheared off and contaminating whatever system you're working with. For a water system in your house there's not much it will plug but a hydraulic or fuel system on a vehicle is not as tolerant. I use Loctite PST like edwardb suggested and it works great. Make sure you really do have NPT threads on both parts not just that the thread count looks close. NPT (National Pipe Thread) has approximately 1-degree of taper so one end of the thread will be noticeably larger than the other. Inspect the threads on both the ID & OD for damage -- as was mentioned above, the threads make the seal so they must be damage free.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can get tape sheared off if you're dumb and let the tape extend past the end of the fitting. Otherwise, no problem. I have also used Earl's thread sealant with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a stupid question. If its a mechanical "stock" pump perhaps the fitting should be a flared tubing like a brake line? In that case the problem is the tubing flare you don't need to put sealant on the threaded nut the tube goes through.

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you that teflon tape used on high strength steel NPT connections can hold past 13,000psi in a test chamber!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, be careful. Once NPTs are galled, you are much more likely to get a leak. Normally the male galls, so easy to replace.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, once NPTs are galled (only happened in stainless), they've become one with each other and destined to never part again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pipe fitters that I've worked with hated installing SS pipe due to the chances of galling. They used both teflon tape and anti-seize to seal the pipe and avoid galling.

The same goes for using SS bolts and nuts. If you forget to use ant-seize, you may never get the two apart. If only one part is SS and the other aluminum or steel, it not likely to be a problem. I still use ant-seize when I put SS bolts into aluminum.

I used stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts for just about everything bolted onto my car. All of the bolts screwed into threads that I tapped into the frame are also stainless.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 07-26-2017 at 04:35 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teflon tape vs anaerobic pipe sealant is a battle of opinions about like the age-old question of which is better, Ford or Chevy. I've formed my opinion based on my professional experience spanning close to half-century now in maintenance roles where I used these products and as an engineer, specified these products for maintenance personnel to use. Others may have different experiences. I've used both with success but from my experience, the anaerobic sealants are superior and need no special application technique to successfully make a seal. Follow the link to see what a maintenance industry organization Plant Engineering has to say about sealants. http://www.plantengineering.com/sing...46dd34156.html

Post Thanks / Like
    This is all incredible info guys. Thanks so much.

Jcruz I will let you know man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Save the teflon tape for the plumber -- it has no place in automotive. Using teflon tape will result in pieces of the tape being sheared off and contaminating whatever system you're working with. For a water system in your house there's not much it will plug but a hydraulic or fuel system on a vehicle is not as tolerant. I use Loctite PST like edwardb suggested and it works great. Make sure you really do have NPT threads on both parts not just that the thread count looks close. NPT (National Pipe Thread) has approximately 1-degree of taper so one end of the thread will be noticeably larger than the other. Inspect the threads on both the ID & OD for damage -- as was mentioned above, the threads make the seal so they must be damage free.
    My thoughts exactly. Although I have used it when I had nothing else available. Its far too easy to get a piece inside of the fuel line.