Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Way to Remove/Install Body on Chassis

Post Thanks / Like

Best Way to Remove/Install Body on Chassis

Although the manual states that this is a two person job, I have only had the body on/off once (prior to chassis being painted) and it was quite a chore for my wife and I. I would be grateful to hear any input ya'll might have with regards to placing the body on/off the chassis.

Thanks
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used my engine hoist with an extended arm, and I was able to remove the body by myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea, any photos?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before painting my chassis I've had my body on and off numerous times and have used my cherry picker and my backhoe while my wife helps to guide it in place. The backhoe is easier but most folks don't have one handy. Some use an electric hoist mounted to the rafters and that would probably be the best method but my shop is not set-up to accommodate this. But be careful if you use this method and make sure the structure will support the weight.

Now that my chassis is painted I'll probably use the same technique I've use at least a dozen times now but this time I have applied clear protective tape where the body tends to rub the chassis. I can only imagine that if you had a couple extra guys to help it would go so much easier. But like most builders I'm a team of one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with a hoist of some kind it is very good to have some help to not damage paint or other things. I have overhead and a team of one to, but to work hoist and place body works much better with help!
    If by hand you need three each side and back.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best way to protect a finished chassis and other painted parts that I found is to use Mylar cutting boards. I went to the kitchen supply aisle
    and bought a 4 pack of the large, thin, Mylar kind of cutting boards for a few bucks. They are very thin, tough, flexible and slick so they work
    really well to keep the fiberglass body from scratching the paint and powdercoated parts. A couple pieces of tape to hold them in place and the
    body just flexes out and slides right over the tight spots on the front hoop mounts for my rollcage. I also have one of the crank up storage trays
    for the garage ceiling that I run with a battery drill so it's a one man operation to put the body on and off for mock-ups.
    HTH
    Dale

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    33059.jpg33060.jpg

Here is how I do it with a 12V winch on my trusses over my lift.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Here is how I do it with a 12V winch on my trusses over my lift.
    Yea but your cheating - you don't have all the trunk aluminum on. With the aluminum in, you Have to tilt front of the body up and get the lower back edge of the body under the trunk floor and then lower the front down.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK i have the top on permanent so that makes it a little different. Still working on lifting points to not get into paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone used the 4 eye-bolt/cement block system discussed over on the roadster forum. I used it on my roadster and it was a one man operation. Basically 4 ropes run through eye bolts in the ceiling with cement blocks on each end. A hook/attachement on the other end of the rope attaches to the body. The cement block balance the weight of the body and you can move the front and rear independently. I am considering the '35 hot rod pickup and would try to use it for that project.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know how much the body weighs?