Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Build - Input on Engine Selection

Post Thanks / Like

New Build - Input on Engine Selection

Hello Everyone,

I am currently finalizing my plans for my own Ford 33 build. I am very excited about the project, but recognize that I am a novice and I hope to tap into the collective wisdom of the community with respect to my plans.

The vision for my build is to produce a car will be for showing and cruising, and I want a high performance vehicle with some old school looks and charm. The look and style of the car is just as important as the performance. I do not plan on doing any racing, but I am still looking to make 500-600 HP. Since the project car is a replica of a Ford 33, I want to use a Ford engine for the build.

The engine that I want will have a roots blower, carbs and a scoop. I am not worried about hood clearance because there will not be a hood on the car. I have been reading about the space limitations in the engine bay of the kit, and that room for the blower pulley is a bit of a problem. Based on my research it seems that a Ford 4.6L 4V DOHC engine with a roots blower will fit. I think that another forum member, Arrowhead, has the same package in his car. I know that will to need fabricate a custom made intake manifold in order to get a 6-71 blower to mate with the heads on Ford engine. I think that the Ford 4.6L engine with roots blower will provide me with the right balance of modern performance and old school looks. It will also be something a bit different than the typical SBC with blower that is very common in street rods.

I am very interested in receiving feedback from Forum members on this plan. Specifically:
    - Will the Ford 4.6L engine with blower pulley fit into the engine bay?
    - Is there a better choice than the Ford 4.6L engine for my stated vision?
    - I am planning on having a professional engine builder put the package together for me. Any words of wisdom or advice on that?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This one next to my MKIII reportedly makes around 1000:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pick an engine that YOU like and it helps if you have experience with the version selected if you plan to tune it yourself. Having an engine built to accommodate the power adder of choice is smart. Adding a supercharger after the fact on an engine built to be naturally aspirated can lead to serious issues and disappointment. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it would be a very cool build.

FFR did one for ford racing parts that was similar to what you are wanting. It had a small PD (maybe a whipple?) and can be seen on their site. It fit under the hood and was a 3V motor.

It may be easier to start with a lower intake that's already built for a lower install and make a adapter plate to put a 6-71 on it. Either a 4V cobra motor (03-04) or ford racing our roush lower (the intercooler would be rally trick under a big 6-71!) for the 05-10 3V motor. A Shelby gt500 intake would not fit. Then, adapting it may be a pain.

As mentioned above, the biggest hurdle may very well be the tuning. A big roots isn't the most efficient and I don't know anyone who has done that yet. You may have to find a patient and thorough tuner. Or do it yourself. If you use a 03-04 based setup, a Moates quarterhorse and tunerpro would suffice. Later years I am not familiar with self tuning as they get to complex for me.

Doing what you suggest will be a bit of a learning experience and not the easy way to build a hot rod but it would definitely be awesome if you do it! Please do a build thread. I like to see unusual and especially old mated with new.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're building a fair weather car that's mostly for looks, there's not much point in going too wild on the cam and making the car hard to drive on the street. I certainly wouldn't use a defunct Ford motor like the 4.6.

There are a whole lot more products available for a small block Chevy. Even then, you need to start with a low compression long block, intended for use with a blower. With small dual quad carbs, you'll still get horrible fuel mileage, but it will look sharp.

https://www.holley.com/products/supe.../supercharger/

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Go-Dad-Go's Top Ten List For Taking The Factory Five Plunge:

1. Go with what you know when choosing your driveline combination & your ability to tune it.
    2. Know that these cars don't need much more than 400-HP to scare the crap out of most folks.
    3. Consider your skills and the skills of any supporting pals that may be helping you.
    4. Chevy Power is the least expensive if your budget is a considerable issue.
    5. Keep things simple and make form follow function in your build plan.
    6. Keep the wiring neat, tidy and hidden, but accessible if possible.
    7. Be realistic about the amount of work involved.
    8. Get the manual and read it a few times.
    9. Get your shop & tools ready.
    10. Order Your Kit!

Good Luck From The Dark Side & Check Out Edelbrock's Blown SBC:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...hevy-519.shtml

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advise from GDG. About the only thing I could add is that whatever you think it will cost and however long you think it will take -- double it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Go-Dad-Go's Top Ten List For Taking The Factory Five Plunge:

1. Go with what you know when choosing your driveline combination & your ability to tune it.
    2. Know that these cars don't need much more than 400-HP to scare the crap out of most folks.
    3. Consider your skills and the skills of any supporting pals that may be helping you.
    4. Chevy Power is the least expensive if your budget is a considerable issue.
    5. Keep things simple and make form follow function in your build plan.
    6. Keep the wiring neat, tidy and hidden, but accessible if possible.
    7. Be realistic about the amount of work involved.
    8. Get the manual and read it a few times.
    9. Get your shop & tools ready.
    10. Order Your Kit!

Good Luck From The Dark Side & Check Out Edelbrock's Blown SBC:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...hevy-519.shtml

Steve

GDG: the Edelbrock engine looks amazing. My concern is that it won't fit in the engine bay of the kit car. Do you know of anyone that has used this set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    My main concern with the Edelbrock build would be the crank pulley contacting the steering rack. On my SBC I have 3" clearance in front of the harmonic damper and 1.5" of clearance in front of my crank pulley (5 rib serpentine setup). Also the supercharger wont fit under the hood, but as you said TomK youre not going to run a hood. Everything else should fit from what I see.

Also, I am running a short water pump setup (as recommended by FFR) to maintain that clearance in front and the edelbrock build looks like it might be a long pump setup (not sure what the dimensions would be on that one).

Edit: I also just want to second what GDG is saying... very good advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    GDG: the Edelbrock engine looks amazing. My concern is that it won't fit in the engine bay of the kit car. Do you know of anyone that has used this set up?
    No, I've only a seen few 33's and they all had 302 Small Block Fords in them.
    On another note, a S.B.C. or S.B.F. would look great under the hood of a 33 with dual 4 barrel carbs or better yet, a three 2 barrel (Tri-Power Style) set up..

S.B.C.
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...-quad-sb.shtml

S.B.F.
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...quad-289.shtml

As for me, I'm running a single 4 barrel set up because of my shortcomings in the tuning department, but that 6 carb set up (1950's Ram Log) that they would look really impressive on a 33.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-06-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thought You Might Like To See What Is Likely The Most Radically Over Powered Factory Five 33 Hot Rod Ever Built!

Blown Factory Five 33 Hot Rod From SKJ Customs With Big Block Chevy Between The Frame Rails:

http://www.skjcustoms.com/

https://youtu.be/7rcbU4phaJg

https://youtu.be/54D6ypARkpE

https://youtu.be/QOraDDpDBkk

Also, check out the build thread and photo album from NAZ, because his car is over the top, but pretty much ALL NAZ from the firewall back.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-06-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going with an LS3 but I think that old school is a cool look for a 33. Has to be Flat head or SBC for old school no hood look. I love the new motors for cruiser cars but you have to pay a fourtune to make them look retro. I retro'ed my motor (400 cu SHP block AFR heads aprox 525HP)and with all the bells and whistles ended up being a few grand cheaper. I like the fact I built the motor and can service it. Fitment is easy with lots of room: even found a set of 1.75 headers that would fit. Have fun with what ever you choose and enjoy your build.
    Motor3.jpgMotor4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's a cool look TomH33. I too went with SBC as in the fifties that was the most popular "modern" engine for these hot rods. And it's still hard to beat the cost per horsepower with this platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome looking setup TomH33. The red and black contrast looks great!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am currently finalizing my plans for my own Ford 33 build. I am very excited about the project, but recognize that I am a novice and I hope to tap into the collective wisdom of the community with respect to my plans.

The vision for my build is to produce a car will be for showing and cruising, and I want a high performance vehicle with some old school looks and charm. The look and style of the car is just as important as the performance. I do not plan on doing any racing, but I am still looking to make 500-600 HP. Since the project car is a replica of a Ford 33, I want to use a Ford engine for the build.

The engine that I want will have a roots blower, carbs and a scoop. I am not worried about hood clearance because there will not be a hood on the car. I have been reading about the space limitations in the engine bay of the kit, and that room for the blower pulley is a bit of a problem. Based on my research it seems that a Ford 4.6L 4V DOHC engine with a roots blower will fit. I think that another forum member, Arrowhead, has the same package in his car. I know that will to need fabricate a custom made intake manifold in order to get a 6-71 blower to mate with the heads on Ford engine. I think that the Ford 4.6L engine with roots blower will provide me with the right balance of modern performance and old school looks. It will also be something a bit different than the typical SBC with blower that is very common in street rods.

I am very interested in receiving feedback from Forum members on this plan. Specifically:
    - Will the Ford 4.6L engine with blower pulley fit into the engine bay?
    - Is there a better choice than the Ford 4.6L engine for my stated vision?
    - I am planning on having a professional engine builder put the package together for me. Any words of wisdom or advice on that?

Thanks.
    Left room for the blower pulley...
    IMG_3193 (640x427).jpg