Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote PCM custom tune

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote PCM custom tune

I read a lot of threads and opinions on the necessity of a custom engine tune for the Coyote. Strong opinions on both sides.
    After 1200 miles on the stock tune my car was running just fine with zero issues. Basically because I cant leave well enough alone i decided to give the custom tune a shot.
    Forum member Duke had recommended Lund Racing to me. Also the Ford engineer that helped me with all my wiring harness issues mentioned they have a very solid reputation within the industry when I queried him. For the record Ford is very noncommittal about actually recommending a specific tuner but in a sort of off the record comment the guy I trust indicated if I were going with a custom tune that Lund was a good choice. That was good enough for me.

I went to their website and ordered the tune. They can use either the SCT X4 or Nguage tuning devices. I already owned the X4 so I went with that device to save myself some money from buying the Nguage. My tune was $450. Had I bought the tune and the Nguage I believe it was about $700. (Mac users beware the SCT is not Mac compatible. I am a Mac guy and had to resort to using an old windows machine so that was kind of a pain but it worked. You basically need the computer to load the tune file onto the device and to use for data logging which I will mention shortly.)

When you order the tune you fill out some information on how your car is configured and any engine mods. Obviously in our case we differ from stock on the air intake and exhaust. I specified that and it is also important you specify if you are using a crate motor. After that it took about 7 business days for the to email me the custom tune file.

Once you receive the tune you upload it to the device on the computer and then take the device out and plug it into the car. Loading the tune onto the PCM is quite simple following the on screen instructions and took about 10 minutes.
    The way Lund works is they send you a base tune. Then you send them some data logs back and they modify the tune as needed. Then you do some more data logs and they give you the final tune.

Upon loading the base tune my car fired right up as it always has and I took it on a test drive.
    First impression....WOW! This is immediately noticeable and quite improved. The engine runs smoother at low rpms, the throttle response is sharper, the overall performance seems noticeably improved on the butt dyno. Honestly in the first 1200 miles I thought the cars performance was a 10 out of 10. Post tune I would say the first 1200 miles was actually at 8.5 and now I am truly at 10 out of 10 for a stock motor.

After a short drive I was ready to do some data logging to get the tune updated.
    That consisted of hooking up the tuner to the car and the computer and running the car through a set profile they provided.

The profile was:
    Idle for 3-5 minutes
    While sitting still:
    1500 rpm for 10-15 seconds
    2500 rpm for 10-15 seconds
    3500 rpm for 10-15 seconds
    After that go drive and in either 2nd or 3rd gear do a couple slow accelerations from 2500 to 5000 rpm
    After that pull over and idle for 1-2 minutes
    Then stop the data log, save it and email it to them.

I submitted the data log and in short order they sent me a revised tune to load with instructions for a second data logging session. I loaded the review tune the same way I did the initial tune. (IF you have concerns about this the engines factory tune is saved onto your device and you can revert to factory at any time.)
    The profile for the next data log was the same but after the first 2500-5000rpm acceleration they wanted a WOT 2nd gear pull from 2500-7200rpm. (That was fun, hit about 85mph in 2nd gear!)
    Once I completed that data log and sent it to them they looked over the data and determined no further adjustments were needed and I was good to go.

I should say they also offer the option of an actual dyno session where they collaborate with the dyno operator and modify your tune that way. I choose the option of doing my own data logging and felt for my road driving needs that was sufficient.

Very, very pleased with the tune. I feel like it really optimized the motors performance. I am also very pleased with Lund and their communications and everyone I dealt with there.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very cool, Scott. I'm glad it's working for ya.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the dark side

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not expecting the consultant to follow suit. Like Trump, some people just cant admit that someone else is onto something.

Glad you're realizing some of the locked in potential Scott.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Lund tunes in 2 of my other toys. I really like their service and results. Not that the roadsters have many accessories, but I think I remember, to not turn on any other electrical items during the down loads. They also recommend a fully charged battery. Probably not an issue, but it must happen. Scott, what gasoline brand are you running?
    I know exactly what you mean by the improvement after the tunes. I could tell the engine was different the minute it cranked and really knew it was cleaner by applying throttle. It is surprising how much you are leaving on the table, until you get a tune.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    I have Lund tunes in 2 of my other toys. I really like their service and results. Not that the roadsters have many accessories, but I think I remember, to not turn on any other electrical items during the down loads. They also recommend a fully charged battery. Probably not an issue, but it must happen. Scott, what gasoline brand are you running?
    I know exactly what you mean by the improvement after the tunes. I could tell the engine was different the minute it cranked and really knew it was cleaner by applying throttle. It is surprising how much you are leaving on the table, until you get a tune.
    Brand of gasoline...I have no brand loyalty. I run the 93 octane though.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylie Coyote View Post
    Not expecting the consultant to follow suit. Like Trump, some people just cant admit that someone else is onto something.

Impressive 8 total posts now and you've shown your rear on at least 2 of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylie Coyote View Post

If this means what I think it means (and I'm pretty confident it does) you've once again managed to be completely wrong plus add a highly offensive political comment. Time to move on, don't you think?

Way to go Scott. It's great that Lund gave you good service and you're happy with the results. They clearly know what they are doing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, thanks for the tune info! Cool stuff. I'm several months away from that stage (kit delivery in November), but I will definitely budget in a tune at the end.
    Love this forum to help with decisions. Neophytes like me struggle with making good decisions without a frame of reference.
    Many, many, thanks to you, Paul, the Jeff's, and on-and-on for helping make these cars possible for the less experienced of us.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Welcome to the dark side
    Hey Sir Duke, https://youtu.be/6sIjSNTS7Fs

He didn't put a Chevy in it nor did he paint his car black so I take great offense to your Dark Side comment. (Just Kidding)
    Hummmm, Maybe I'll paint my car black when the time comes and call it Double Trouble. https://youtu.be/MmR1jRC64c8
    Works Cited: Birth name Stevland Hardaway Judkins, Also known as Stevland Hardaway Morris (legal), Little Stevie Wonder (stage) and Lynyrd Skynyrd:
    Enjoy The Music Yall!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-28-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Sir Duke, https://youtu.be/6sIjSNTS7Fs

He didn't put a Chevy in it nor did he paint his car black so I take great offense to your Dark Side comment. (Just Kidding)

Steve
    I aim to offend :troll:

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I aim to offend :troll:
    For The Record:

You, Sir EdwarB & Wareaglescott have some of the nicest, coolest, cleanest, Ford powered examples on this forum.
    Even if you aren't on the Dark Side, you all are A-Okay in my book.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo, You could ALMOST tempt one to the dark side with your southern rock-n-roll and sense of humor. Fun stuff!
    But, alass, I'll stay on the reservation for this car..... but did I ever tell you about my FJ40/Chevy 350?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Atta boy.
    Did Lund give any details on what specifically they changed from the original OEM tune? Ignition timing, valve timing, A/F ratio???? And what about final HP and torque? Did they suggest a range you might expect to be in? The final dyno pull on my MkIV/Coyote after the custom tune netted 490HP (411HP was the base Coyote in 2012). It was very satisfying after an 18 month build to see-hear-feel the car scream at 7,000rpm, pull after pull on the dyno. And then go home to trophy in car shows. I knew the car was put together properly and with the right parts for the end use. I've never been afraid of wide open throttle since. The weak link is tire grippsion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Atta boy.
    Did Lund give any details on what specifically they changed from the original OEM tune? Ignition timing, valve timing, A/F ratio???? And what about final HP and torque? Did they suggest a range you might expect to be in? The final dyno pull on my MkIV/Coyote after the custom tune netted 490HP (411HP was the base Coyote in 2012). It was very satisfying after an 18 month build to see-hear-feel the car scream at 7,000rpm, pull after pull on the dyno. And then go home to trophy in car shows. I knew the car was put together properly and with the right parts for the end use. I've never been afraid of wide open throttle since. The weak link is tire grippsion.

They did not give those details on what they changed. I didn't ask either though. I'm sure they would have if I inquired. Honestly I don't much care. My desire for the tune was for the best driveability I could get and I feel that has been accomplished. I don't know anything about what the ignition timing or the other variables you mentioned were in the first place so knowing what they changed would be meaningless to me. I did take a look at all the recorded parameters in the data log and quickly determined it was beyond what I needed to know.

As far as HP numbers I would have to dyno it to find out. It is plenty powerful enough for me. The power available exceeds the tires capabilities as you mention so the final number is inconsequential and nothing more than something to brag about which isn't really my style.

I'm sure for those that prefer more data it would be available if you asked them though. I'm very pleased with their communication and they answered all that I wanted to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    octane matters in some of our motors no doubt, but brand has nothing to do with performance. The detergents are different but that matters 100,000 miles down the road. I work at a refinery for a major. We make gasoline sold by others, and our stations sell gasoline made by them. Trades are extremely common. Just 2cents somewhat off topic - now back to your regularly scheduled program..........

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think Lund will give you the specs on the tune. I am sure you can observe them on a dyno data log. I have a mount for my SCX4 and the cable attached full time on one of my cars. You can set the tuner up to monitor a choice of parameters. I think you can observe up to 6 on one screen. I can name a few, from memory, but not all. IAT 1, IAT 2, Knock Retard, A/F lamda, I think, timing etc. I did not like the SCX cord connection sticking down, where my leg could hit it and found a 90* plug that would not interfere with clutching. I will admit, I had to get a fellow user to help me set up my tuner for this. It sure was nice having some experience and knowledge. Did not mean to get so lengthy, but some users do not know the tuner can monitor, full time.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not think Lund will give you the specs on the tune. I am sure you can observe them on a dyno data log. I have a mount for my SCX4 and the cable attached full time on one of my cars. You can set the tuner up to monitor a choice of parameters. I think you can observe up to 6 on one screen. I can name a few, from memory, but not all. IAT 1, IAT 2, Knock Retard, A/F lamda, I think, timing etc. I did not like the SCX cord connection sticking down, where my leg could hit it and found a 90* plug that would not interfere with clutching. I will admit, I had to get a fellow user to help me set up my tuner for this. It sure was nice having some experience and knowledge. Did not mean to get so lengthy, but some users do not know the tuner can monitor, full time.
    In addition the the functions within the X4 when you hook it up to the computer for the data logging you can see many more parameters. It is quite cumbersome having the X4 and laptop hooked up and in the car though. While it was going I was watching all sorts of data scroll across the screen. No idea what any of it meant though! Haha

Post Thanks / Like
    You can turn off the graphs that clog the screen while you're logging and it will still capture it in the datalog.

Back when I was maxing out my Ecoboost, I'd turn off everything but knock, boost, and inlet air temp after the intercooler so I could sneak a peek while going WOT and not wreck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done the same. There are some benefits. I think the location of the engine temperature sensor on the Coyote could be better. The hottest part of the engine will be the cylinder heads. Not the crankcase. Next build, I'll look for a spot to tap into the head. SO, i like to use the tuner to monitor temperature. The FFR gauges look nice. Lets leave it at that. Also, I had to replace a failed O2 sensor this spring on the drivers side. I realized this after the tuner didn't register the lamda on that side. A quick check of engine codes and sure enough, time for a new sensor.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man,

you are not that far from Wayne at VCP.... worth the Trip!

here is my coyote....it had a little help from a couple turbos...

FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)