FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shift Console / Bezel?

Post Thanks / Like

Shift Console / Bezel?

So what is the story behind the round bezel and the oval aluminum panel opening? Did I get the wrong tunnel panel or do I need to find an oval bezel from a vendor?
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    No oval shifters or trim plates that I've seen. The oval cutout is to clear the various positions that different engine/trans combinations might give. There's a matching oval fill plate that you are supposed to use to fill after cutting to match your location. Mounted on the cover it disappears if using the kit provided carpet for the transmission tunnel. With vinyl like you've done, needs to be installed flush to look the best. A little late for you since you've already applied the vinyl.

As an aside note, I see where FFMetals announced they will offer a transmission tunnel cover (1) without the cutout and (2) from slightly heavier gauge aluminum. Good idea on both accounts.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    No oval shifters or trim plates that I've seen. The oval cutout is to clear the various positions that different engine/trans combinations might give. There's a matching oval fill plate that you are supposed to use to fill after cutting to match your location. Mounted on the cover it disappears if using the kit provided carpet for the transmission tunnel. With vinyl like you've done, needs to be installed flush to look the best. A little late for you since you've already applied the vinyl.

As an aside note, I see where FFMetals announced they will offer a transmission tunnel cover (1) without the cutout and (2) from slightly heavier gauge aluminum. Good idea on both accounts.
    thanks, its just vinyl so, I have plenty more. Guess I'll take a couple of steps backward? Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    I made two plates, one to fit inside the oval hole, the other to hold that piece to the trans tunnel top. I did my best to have the finished round hole centered over where the transmission shifter is located, so in the pictures both pieces look non symmetrical and skewed, which they are. It all sits flush with flush-head pop rivets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 07-29-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    I made two plates, one to fit inside the oval hole, the other to hold that piece to the trans tunnel top. I did my best to have the finished round hole centered over where the transmission shifter is located, so in the pictures both pieces look non symmetrical and skewed, which they are. It all sits flush with flush-head pop rivets.
    I sorta did the same thing after I realized (should look at the directions,but I didn't)....just another small hurdle!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I sorta did the same thing after I realized (should look at the directions,but I didn't)....just another small hurdle!
    Wait... There are directions? I must have missed those too.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to ffmetal.com

They now offer a new transmission tunnel cover with no hole cut out using .06 thick aluminum. Will be perfect for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Go to ffmetal.com

They now offer a new transmission tunnel cover with no hole cut out using .06 thick aluminum. Will be perfect for you.
    You beat me to it! I can attest to the quality of the FF Metal products as I just received and installed their under trunk battery box.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my own out of .06 aluminum similar to ffmetal.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 07-30-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an idea... you could bond a piece of thin plywood, radius the edges, and apply the vinyl. You'll have your hole where you wish, and it will be flush.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    thanks, its just vinyl so, I have plenty more. Guess I'll take a couple of steps backward? Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
    That occasional taking two steps backwards during the build, is actually standard procedure. If you don't do it once in awhile, you must have missed something..