Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New nose & splash guards

Post Thanks / Like

New nose & splash guards

Hey 818 Crew,
    I'm working on installing the splash guards with the new nose. I'm wondering if I generally have things laid out correctly and also if there are any general recommendations from builders who have already installed these.

nose/radiator panel - It seems like this should be installed first as most other panels attach to it in some way. Is this the correct panel? I have one square with flat flanges on the sides, but that doesn't seem to fit with the new nose pieces. The front/bottom fender support brackets seem to prevent this installing as it was intended. Here I have another panel that was similar but didn't have the flat flanges on the sides. Is this for the new nose or an original part for the tail end?

Driver side front - rear and rear side splash panels - Looks like I'll have some trimming to do here. Is it normal that there will be gaps between splash guard and fender even with the rubber bulb in place?

Driver side front - front splash panel - why is there a big window here? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Or was that a result of the original nose?

Driver side front - inside splash panel, supposedly attached to nose/radiator horizontal panel? Is this intended to be inside the radiator support or to the outside of the supports? This looks like it is will need massage as well.

Feedback on how you massaged these into place is appreciated. Especially for the nose/radiator panel with vents up, that one looks the farthest from fitting correctly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I installed mine, but I feel like you might have the original nose aluminum. My new nose (chassis 399, March '16) for sure didn't have the cutout in the front panel. When I did put mine on I don't think any required serious trimming, just the occasional enlarging of an already existing slot/opening one way or the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    those do not look right. I will post pics of mine when I get home and take photos.
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    I was about to start on the front splash guards as well - I'll try to see if mine look similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rad alu panel floor goes higher, you attach it on the bottom of the square rad frame to seal up the bottom of rad, not on the fender supports.

There are quite some trimming on all panels, mostly the front sides of rad, especially if you didn't install the upper fender supports in the right place.

I installed my front wheel splash guard (the sort of half moon one) at a downwards angle (towards wheel) cuz it fitted with less extension and trimming and fitted better on the side rad panels. This may vary a lot from car to car.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Are my fender supports mounted low compared to everyone else's? If they need to be horizontally level with the radiator support then I'll need to adjust or have issues with the splitter as well down the road.

Slava - you were supposed to have yours registered by now! I've been wondering where you were in your build. What's left for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Slava - you were supposed to have yours registered by now! I've been wondering where you were in your build. What's left for you?
    I've been living the toddler life, as you are very well familiar with ;-) But yes I'm well overdue for an update and keep forgetting to snap pics. I just finished my headlights so I could probably try to register soon (maybe in the fall, August is a busy month). Still have the splash guards, interior (center console) and a few random bits left.

I took a few quick pics this morning of the front splash guards though.
    splash guards 1.jpgsplash guards 2.jpg
    My front wheel splash guards seem to have that front headlight portion sealed off. I recall they came when I ordered the new front end with some other pieces of aluminum. I already installed the radiator side panels; they'll require some trimming, especially in the front and near the brackets. I pre-drilled the radiator floor panel for rivets and undercoated it but am holding off on installing it until the other panels are done. I wouldn't worry too much about the radiator support being in the right place, mine sort of ended up where ever the holes were.

Post Thanks / Like
    pics attached
    First Start 10-17-2015

Post Thanks / Like
    First Start 10-17-2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah like Insurance. ^^^^^^^^

However I have a LOT less bolts but that's up to everyone.
    Also I have ZeroDB's HE up front which requires trimming the front guard. I found some old pix:

Metros1.jpgMetros2.jpgMetros3.jpg
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    The extra pictures are really helpful. I'm thinking I may have swapped in one of the rear end pieces. I think I have the panels that completely cover the front of the wheel wells.

I know all about the toddler life it's fun, but doesn't leave time for much else.