Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody find windows that fit yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody find windows that fit yet?

On the S. I know the angle of the windshield isn't right for the coupe windows, and there is a gap. Has anybody fit the window with the S windshield in place to see what the gap looks like? Might be able to come up with a creative solution if it isn't too big. We all know people have tackled bigger problems here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Need a bit more description, because I've not seen the problem you describe. I have an S retrofitted with a C top. Can't remember if I used the S or C glass (got 2 front windshields), but i'm pretty sure they were identical when I had them back to back.

Likewise, the side window glass lines up well with the A pillar, it just takes a lot of futzing to get everything properly aligned.

I might be dense (check that -I am dense), can you post a pic of the area you are describing?
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, I guess that wasn't clear. English does that to me sometimes (majored in math for a reason, lol). I just want to know if anybody has solved the roll-up door window problem for the S. Last time I read anything, it was accepted that the S windshield raked back more than the coupe windshield, so the profile of the door-windows didn't match and would leave a gap between the door window and the windshield frame. I don't have any pictures, but I can probably photoshop something tonight if that still isn't clear.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing nothing about this car but having a lot of experience with power windows, I have to ask if the glass is flat or curved. Flat glass is easy to get made to any shape you want. Curved glass isn't. If the window is not something borrowed from a production car, you'd be wise to get FFR's take on the problem.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 08-02-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Right, I guess that wasn't clear. English does that to me sometimes (majored in math for a reason, lol). I just want to know if anybody has solved the roll-up door window problem for the S. Last time I read anything, it was accepted that the S windshield raked back more than the coupe windshield, so the profile of the door-windows didn't match and would leave a gap between the door window and the windshield frame. I don't have any pictures, but I can probably photoshop something tonight if that still isn't clear.
    Turbo,
    My first thought was, nobody has put door windows on an 818S (roadster) yet.

Then I remembered that FFR said that you could swap back and forth between 818S and 818C with a few hours of conversion time. You may be the first to try this.

The 818S windshield does not have a pocket for the door glass to fit into. So I would say, if your running around without a roof, keep the windows down.

The rake of the 818s windshield is adjustable if you want it the same as the 818c rake.

I have my windshield rake as low as it can go without modifying the factory bolt holes.
    rake.jpg

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-02-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering your recent post on your build thread, I guess that you are thinking about building an 188S but adding door windows, right? The side windows would add a lot of wind protection but, as Bob said, you'd need to make some sort of support for the front edge of the glass on the windshield post. When I get home tonight I can measure the windshield on my 181C to compare to the measurements given for the 818S windshield. I think they are close and, again as Bob said, the S windshield can be adjusted quite a bit. I don't know of anybody who has tried door windows on an 818S.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Considering your recent post on your build thread, I guess that you are thinking about building an 188S but adding door windows, right? The side windows would add a lot of wind protection but, as Bob said, you'd need to make some sort of support for the front edge of the glass on the windshield post. When I get home tonight I can measure the windshield on my 181C to compare to the measurements given for the 818S windshield. I think they are close and, again as Bob said, the S windshield can be adjusted quite a bit. I don't know of anybody who has tried door windows on an 818S.
    I'm not sure about the dimensions on the 188 or the 181, but I'm pretty sure mine will be HEAVIER. But as usual, you are perceptive and that is the root of my question. I'm already spitballing ideas and watching a lot of fiberglass how-tos on the youtube. Haven't even ordered the damned kit yet, something must be wrong with me. I'll appreciate your input since I know you've driven both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    Knowing nothing about this car but having a lot of experience with power windows, I have to ask if the glass is flat or curved. Flat glass is easy to get made to any shape you want. Curved glass isn't. If the window is not something borrowed from a production car, you'd be wise to get FFR's take on the problem.
    Pretty sure the 818 windows are from some production car or other, but not sure what.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Turbo,
    My first thought was, nobody has put door windows on an 818S (roadster) yet.

Then I remembered that FFR said that you could swap back and forth between 818S and 818C with a few hours of conversion time. You may be the first to try this.

The 818S windshield does not have a pocket for the door glass to fit into. So I would say, if your running around without a roof, keep the windows down.

The rake of the 818s windshield is adjustable if you want it the same as the 818c rake.
    Bob, thanks for the help here. Sounds like maybe the problem is THIS little triangle...
    818C mockup 1~1.jpg

and not the triangle I had imagined....
    818 side~1.jpg

I feel good about scenario 1. So good, that I may indeed be the first to try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 08-02-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will it be some sort of wind wing attached to the S windshield to fill the gap? I've been wondering what a wind wing would look like and perform like on the S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure about moving parts. I'm pretty confident about something to fill the gap.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm already spitballing ideas and watching a lot of fiberglass how-tos on the youtube. Haven't even ordered the damned kit yet, something must be wrong with me.
    Not really, thinking through every gritty detail of a project like this before starting is something that not enough people here do. They'll daydream for weeks about how much horsepower they think they need but don't stop to consider if they're actually up to the task of assembling a car until it's sat in their garage for 3 or 4 years.

As far as the windows, why not ask FFR what they are off? They typically don't have a huge interest in re-selling glass (it's a nightmare to ship) so they'll typically tell you so that you can source a local replacement if you break a window or windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    They typically don't have a huge interest in re-selling glass (it's a nightmare to ship) so they'll typically tell you so that you can source a local replacement if you break a window or windshield.
    I'm going to chat about it when I place my order. Seems like it shouldn't be a pain shipping with the kit, or they might suggest I could get a pair of windows cheaper from a wrecking yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure about moving parts. I'm pretty confident about something to fill the gap.
    I've thought about that triangle area as a possible mounting spot for the mirror. Especially since some have had problems with body fitment in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how I intended to hide my amateur work, lol. I hadn't thought of that until yesterday when I realized that's right where the mirror is on my Hyundai, and where it was on the 92-x if I recall correctly. I'll post pictures of how it turns out. Shouldn't take more than a year or so

Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought I was the only guy who over-thinks way too much!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).