Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wipers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wipers

I know that not every state requires wipers be functional. My state does, but if it didn't, I wouldn't bother with them. What a pain. In particular, the quality of the blade arms are sorely lacking. It may be a white metal material which I have found the teeth to strip easily. Now I need to try to locate another set.

Have others also found the quality lacking?
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I got them to work initially, but was never happy with them. I replaced with arms and blades from **********. Wasn't happy to spend the additional money, but they're much better. Use a wedge locking system that works quite well.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've put together several sets and have not been impressed with the sloppy fit of the arms and shafts. A couple minutes with a drill, tap and setscrew can make things more better:

Jeff

PS to Jay: Missed your call---sorry, crazy busy week---I'll give you a ring this afternoon or evening.

100_3156.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You guys are amazing. It's often the little things that get frustrating especially when you spend a few hours before dinner when you know you should step back and try again another day. But, knowing it's a common irritant and fixable, really, really helps. Thanks again. I'll try the Allen screw approach first. Hopefully I won't need to reach out to Taylor, but good to know I have an option.

Jay
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jay - I'm with you and the others on this... not sure they're any better or worse than what was available back in the day. I have the FFR supplied version on my car and the appearance and function is great, but I'm not sure I'd want to use them daily. The real issue, as with other parts of the build, it in the careful set-up and assembly.

Also, if your car is inspected and they want you to run the wipers, make sure you put a paper towel under the blades so that they slide easily across your windshield.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    My state code called for 1 wiper. Didn't say anything about how it was powered or operated. I checked with the inspector ahead of time and he said a manually operated wiper was fine. I bought one that clamped onto the top of the window for about $30 and was hand actuated from the inside. Put it on there for the inspection and now it lives in the trunk. I suppose if I get pulled over and really tick off the cop I could get a citation for not having a wiper. Highly unlikely and even if I did the fine would still be well less than the cost of the powered wiper system.
    The original poster in this thread is clearly beyond that setup but maybe this might be an option depending on your state for other people reading this.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Jay - I'm with you and the others on this... not sure they're any better or worse than what was available back in the day. I have the FFR supplied version on my car and the appearance and function is great, but I'm not sure I'd want to use them daily. The real issue, as with other parts of the build, it in the careful set-up and assembly.
    Actually, that hasn't been my experience. I've had three different FFR supplied wiper kits over the past 8 years. Each was clearly from a different source with varying quality. First I could never get the wiper boxes to align with the cables well enough to run reliably. So replaced the boxes and the rest was pretty OK. Similar with the second set, although the wiper boxes I eventually could get to work. The most recent (my Anniversary build) the wiper kit said "Made in Taiwan" and was different than all the rest. The gears meshed with the cable OK, but the wiper arm to wiper box connection was very poor. It had little tabs that are supposed to click into a groove in the shaft. Never did work well, and the fit was very poor. I replaced with ********** parts (not Lucas, but marked "Made in England") and all worked OK. Jeff's idea for a set screw is a good one. That would have fixed mine. Just didn't think of it. The parts from ********** use an external Phillips head screw pulling a wedge into the joint. Works very well.

Sort of an aside comment, I was at a cars and coffee a couple weeks ago and a late 60's TR-6 pulled in. All original and in pretty good shape. Opened the hood, and guess what was there along with all the other Lucas parts? Yep, our favorite exact wiper setup. I didn't ask the owner how it worked.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    This same basic wiper system is in all the British cars, Austin Healey's, both 3000 and Sprites, MG's, Triumphs and AC cars. Most I've encountered were single speed motors. Mid 70's MGB's have three wiper blades, not sure about early 60's models. Some of the "Saloon" cars had two speeds. I think Jaguar's are a different setup, with link arms, not a cable. Not sure about Jaguars, but the wipers on the others are marginal at best. They seem to run slow, and spring pressure of the blades is fairly weak So the tradition continues.

Post Thanks / Like
    With all the rain we get in Britain, you'd think that wipers would be the one thing that we had nailed down to perfection.

I went with the clip on solution like wareaglescout.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I went with Jeff's idea and tapped and used a set screw. Worked pretty darn well. I like Chris' idea using a paper as that motor is working pretty hard although I added a lot of synthetic chassis lube. I'm good for now.

I'll start a new thread on the side mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd try to get it through inspection with something like this. Unless you have a top, it's not like you're ever going to need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Remov.../dp/B00DH3UQ9M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ni¢ View Post
    I'd try to get it through inspection with something like this. Unless you have a top, it's not like you're ever going to need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Remov.../dp/B00DH3UQ9M
    That's the exact hadn wiper we used to get through our Ohio state inspection. Had no issues.

We had to bend the arm to get it to contact the glass properly.
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff's suggested mod using a set screw is working remarkably well. My brother's restored 1958 Jag MKVIII and '77 MGB appear to have the same or similar wipers. He appreciated the tip.