Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Mirror

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Side Mirror

I moved on to attach the side mirror. I know...not a great mirror and poor visibility, but as a temporary mirror until it's sent for body work and paint, I thought I'd use it for now. And, if I didn't like it, I know I have options, Breeze, Finish Line, etc.

I thought wrong. The side mirror sent with my kit does not secure with screws from the top. Two bolts are to be brought up from under the body into the mirror base. You know where this is leading. No room what so ever to reach underneath either from the louvers opening or from under the dash. And, the top of the footbox provides no space between it and the body. Looks like I'm getting better mirrors.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at the same place in my build. Looked into the side mirrors on past forums and read how poor the visibility is not to mention the attachment. I've decided to go with the Breeze mirrors although they are pricey. But it will be one of the last items I will need. At least I think so.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    As JRL says, go with the Breeze side mirrors. The bullet mirror is decorative but functionally worthless. Would have taken it off long ago if I could reach the underside. I used side mirrors that are slightly (but not too much) convex and moved the dash-mounted rear view to the top center of the windshield. I easily fabricated an aluminum bracket to attach it. I had tried numerous combinations of suction cup mirrors in different locations and a wide angle over to center mirror. None were satisfactory. The combination of the Breeze side mirrors and the flat one attached to the top of the windshield gave me the best visibility. Go ahead and get them now, use them until paint time, then reinstall them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a relatively budget option. Not a ton more functional but my head still swivels fine and the install is easily reversible.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 08-03-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jay,

I used the FFR mirrors - even put a totally obscured one on the passenger side just for looks. The one on the driver's side isn't bad, but given the visibility in the car, mirrors are really just there to give a bit of bling. Different story for those using their cars on the track when wearing a full-face helmet and harness with HANS device, though - would definitely want a much better option if that were my case.

But, I did install the mirrors onto the body before it went on the chassis the final time - complete with a bit or reinforcement to the fiberglass underneath and a metal tab that spans between both mounting screws.

Last edited by Gumball; 08-03-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Here is a relatively budget option. Not a ton more functional but my head still swivels fine and the install is easily reversible.
    Willing to share some details on this mirror? I'm still a ways away from that point but hoping to get there soon.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeepurz,

If you want to see a discussion of the mirrors option that CCXXVII mention check out this link to my build thread. I got input from him, Jeff Kliener and others which may be of use to you.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/searc...archid=3640150

i just mocked up mine last night and have some photos to add when I get a chance.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a small plate that screws to the windshield post. And then found a motorcycle mirror.
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4434/...c733b571_m.jpg
    Nearly all motorcycle mirrors have a stud attachment so there is a huge world of styles available. Positioning it high helps a LOT. Mounting a mirror on the front fender gives a great view of the huge rear fender and not much else. Trying again to get a larger image.
    http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4434/3...c733b571_b.jpg
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    This started out as being a temporary mirror once I decided the kit mirror wasn't going to work. A year in and still very happy with it - great visibility. I think it cost me about $20 all in. Speedway mirror, aluminium bar from Home Depot, and a handful of hardware.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
    This started out as being a temporary mirror once I decided the kit mirror wasn't going to work. A year in and still very happy with it - great visibility. I think it cost me about $20 all in. Speedway mirror, aluminium bar from Home Depot, and a handful of hardware.

Clever location behind the wind wing to protect from the wind buffeting the relatively thin aluminum bracket. I like this as an option.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    TJ,

If you use the mirror supplied and mount it to the fender, you would have to secure it to the body before mounting the body as Chris did. There is no room underneath the body to allow access for running the bolts up from underneath. I've decided to go with a different mirror option.

Jay
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mirrors on my challenge car are rather non traditional but work very well and are inexpensive, as well. The mirrors are slightly convex so they have a great field of view. They are Kawasaki motorcycle mirrors. They attach from the top and you can reach in through the side louvers to attach locknuts.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    The mirrors on my challenge car are rather non traditional but work very well and are inexpensive, as well. The mirrors are slightly convex so they have a great field of view. They are Kawasaki motorcycle mirrors. They attach from the top and you can reach in through the side louvers to attach locknuts.

Garry
    Garry,
    interesting, do you have a closeup picture of the mount and arm? I'm not building a period correct car by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I'm at least trying to keep a certain "look" and I'm wondering how those blend in with the car.

-TJ

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    TJ,

Here's a link to the mirrors:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krator-20...&wl13=&veh=sem

For that price, you can just order them and if you don't like them, you've only lost $14.00!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I gather FFR must have changed the supplied mirrors since I bought my MK3.1. Mine came with the option of using self tapping screws to hold them in place, so they could be mounted after the body was on. I wasn't a fan of that system initially, but they haven't budged one iota.

Post Thanks / Like
    My MK 4 also came with screws to attach the mirrors, so they must have made a change.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hated the looks of the FF mirrors so I never put them on. I'm in Florida and the car's registered as a 1965 so they are optional. I drove it that way for a few hundred miles and got tired of looking over my shoulder. I bought the Breeze mirrors and I wish I did that from day one. It makes the car so much easier to drive.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    TJ,

Here's a link to the mirrors:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krator-20...&wl13=&veh=sem

For that price, you can just order them and if you don't like them, you've only lost $14.00!

Garry
    Garry,

I've seen your car at the start of the Hot Rod Power and last fall at Cruising The Emerald Coast and liked your mirror style.
    Though I've got a pair of the F-5 bullet style mirrors, I do like the look of yours so I may go with them.
    Thanks for posting the link & can't believe they were so inexpensive.

Steve

Making it up as I go. JJ in Cbus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a set of these from Speedway Motors. Not perfect but they stay put and provide enough visibility behind and along side.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...yABEgJCiPD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Came home yesterday to a box sitting on the dining room table and my wife asked what I purchased that was glass. You guessed it, my Breeze mirrors arrived. Took me less than 10 minutes to install, they are sturdy and look great. Easy to adjust and they're wind blocked by the windwings. Still waiting for my title and plates to arrive from WI.

IMG_20170812_134226742_HDR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Came home yesterday to a box sitting on the dining room table and my wife asked what I purchased that was glass. You guessed it, my Breeze mirrors arrived. Took me less than 10 minutes to install, they are sturdy and look great. Easy to adjust and they're wind blocked by the windwings. Still waiting for my title and plates to arrive from WI.

IMG_20170812_134226742_HDR.jpg
    I installed the very same mirrors just this morning from Terry Riebel (Dream Car Company).. I'm cant be any happier with them. All of 10 minutes to get them installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    I installed the very same mirrors just this morning from Terry Riebel (Dream Car Company).. I'm cant be any happier with them. All of 10 minutes to get them installed.

I hear ya. They look and fit great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ in Cbus View Post
    I have used a set of these from Speedway Motors. Not perfect but they stay put and provide enough visibility behind and along side.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...yABEgJCiPD_BwE
    I started with the 3" and just replaced them with the 4" convex. A fair amount of distortion, but it gives me awareness of cars behind me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of making a new thread, thought I'd just share what I did in this one.
    Like many of us, I didn't like the default location of the FFR supplied mirror.
    So... I removed the base from it, drilled a 1/8" hole at the right spot for a horizontal mount, found some screws that fit the small windshield holes (had a box of cap-head screws from my RC car days).. added a few washers for spacers to set a better angle, a small piece of rubber gasket.. some locktite... for for pretty much zero $ It's vastly improved. Actually reasonable visibility behind me now. Might try one of those convex stick-on mirrors to it's face to see what that does.

I still might swap it out for something more like the 4" speedway peep mirrors. I prefer the look of the non-bullet style mirror. But.. this'll work for now. And required no holes drilled or anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    Instead of making a new thread, thought I'd just share what I did in this one.
    Like many of us, I didn't like the default location of the FFR supplied mirror.
    So... I removed the base from it, drilled a 1/8" hole at the right spot for a horizontal mount, found some screws that fit the small windshield holes (had a box of cap-head screws from my RC car days).. added a few washers for spacers to set a better angle, a small piece of rubber gasket.. some locktite... for for pretty much zero $ It's vastly improved. Actually reasonable visibility behind me now. Might try one of those convex stick-on mirrors to it's face to see what that does.

I still might swap it out for something more like the 4" speedway peep mirrors. I prefer the look of the non-bullet style mirror. But.. this'll work for now. And required no holes drilled or anything.
    Looks pretty cool and resourceful. I like the no $$s idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    DSCF2753.JPG
    After much experimentation, I added a Wink 4 panel, a HUGE improvement over every other option I tried.