FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Got my crusher today

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got my crusher today

Got my crusher today! Picked up a 1972 Mercedes 280se 4.5. Ran the VIN and the plate # by my guy at the MAC and he said it checks all the boxes.
    Also as its currently registered I can wait up to 5 years to file for my exemption. Its going to break my heart to crush this thing, its really quite nice.
    I've been looking for a crush car for 4 months. and this was the lowest priced one I've found. I don't know what others have paid, but I thought this was a
    bargain at $1300 I should recoup a couple of hundred in scrap value,c anb the leather seats are pristine, so I may put those on ebay. all in all a good day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it had to be an American car?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about Mike's American made question but I've been under the impression that you can not use an engine larger than what the crusher had. What do you plan to use for a powerplant?

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused, but that's nothing new.
    What engine are you putting in your car and what are you looking for?
    Heck, what are you planning to build?

PS: Hottrodder427 (Donnie) has a running 1965-ish T-Bird with a 390 in it that he may part with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The rule is the scrapped vehicle must have been registered in for at least 12 contiguous months in the past five years, this ones been registered for two years anyd is currently registered.
    As far as th 4.5 liter motor, vs my 306. They break eight cylinder engines into 3 classes, small 4.0-5.4liters. Up to 327 Medium. 5.5_6.7.liters.up to 409 large 6.8 liters or larger.over 409
    These are from a document from the Mass MAC.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    The rule is the scrapped vehicle must have been registered in for at least 12 contiguous months in the past five years, this ones been registered for two years anyd is currently registered.
    As far as th 4.5 liter motor, vs my 306. They break eight cylinder engines into 3 classes, small 4.0-5.4liters. Up to 327 Medium. 5.5_6.7.liters.up to 409 large 6.8 liters or larger.over 409
    Wow!
    That Is Insane Comrad!
    You need to move South!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-04-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Building a 289 usrrc Roadster engine going in as a 306 which my son and I built last winter going with seventeens and an independent rear suspension Tremec 5-speed. that's all I figured out so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Picking the kid up in Wareham on September 9th

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Wow!
    That Is Insane Comrad!
    You need to move South!
    Not to hijack Chuck's thread but I'm with you GoDad. As ThickCobra can attest to, the registration process here in Wisconsin is SO easy. It involves sending in a one page document to attain a title from the FFR Cert of Origin, a one page document to register as a replica 1965 Cobra, and a small one time fee for "Hobbyist-Replica" license plates. That's it. In fact, I think it's actually a little scary how easy it is. No emissions, no inspection, nothing. The no inspection is the kinda scary part if the builder is a real hack that doesn't know what he/she is doing, but definitely easy.

-TJ

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you're registering your kit car as the crushed vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    This is true, but is generally stated as Jeff States that the motor in the crushed car has to be equal or greater displacement than what will be used in the Roadster to simplify the process.

But it is state here correctly.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on picking up the crusher. $1300 is solid. Mine was $1800 and a 62 fairlane 4-door. Got $150 back from car heaven when they picked it up.

Heads up on the MAC, not all techs know the specifics. Most say it has to be same engine size or larger which isn't true. The crusher engine must be in the same engine group that your motor is in. If you have a 5.0 or 302 for example, the motor can be a small 280 v8, or a 289. First pass most MAC techs will say that's not true, but send them their own paperwork (see below) and they will check internally and confirm it's correct. Also, they state the engine must be the original one that came with the vehicle/one that is registered but it's not officially checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, the car will be registered as a 2018, "1965 cobra". The crusher car will give my Ffr roadster a lifetime emissions exemption.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting. It seems like most FFR cars could be considered custom vehicles that are emissions exempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing, how could the state tell the displacement of the motor besides its a small block or big block? I understand there are some clues to the difference in a 289 to a 427 small block. Maybe for ford you could assume from small block,fe,big block to hit the same size range? At least they give you an option to have an emission exemption for our cars! We (CA) are moving to the point of non-modern cars being illegal.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    Funny thing, how could the state tell the displacement of the motor besides its a small block or big block? I understand there are some clues to the difference in a 289 to a 427 small block. Maybe for ford you could assume from small block,fe,big block to hit the same size range? At least they give you an option to have an emission exemption for our cars! We (CA) are moving to the point of non-modern cars being illegal.
    It's only what the DMV/RMV has on record for the car's registration. At no point in the process did anyone ever confirm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I got my VIN this morning, and my insurance stamp this afternoon. Off to the registry in the morning to get my registration and plates. So excited!
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Still waiting on my insurance company. Hopefully this week I'll have my plates.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller