Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which driveshaft

Post Thanks / Like

Which driveshaft

Can someone share with me the ffr part number for the correct driveshaft to install with a TKO600 and the new IRS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Part number 15955, 31 SPLINE 2015 IRS 10.625" DRIVESHAFT, is what's on my order document. Fit my Coyote/TKO/2015 IRS build perfectly. The engine used makes a difference as well though. Not just the trans and rear end.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-04-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats going to depend on your motor setup.
    You would have specified that when you ordered your kit.
    FFR typically sends the correct shaft out with the kit.
    I'd recomend you give FFR a call if you didn't get the correct one.
    Build 1: MkIV Roadster #8675. Deliv: 8/15/2015.
    FFR MkIV complete kit. / 5.0 Coyote Motor / T56 Magnum Trans / 2015 IRS / 18' Halibrand w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires
    FFMetal: Firewall Forward, Trans Tunnel top, Battery Box, Fan Shroud
    Russ Thompson: Turn signal Assembly, Trunk Box Mod.
    Breeze: SS Roll Bars(2), Power Steering rack, and much more.
    Mike Forte: supplied 5.0 Coyote & T56 Magnum Trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Sorry about the question not having enough info. I hadn't had my coffee yet. My engine and trans combo is not typical. I building a TKO600, IRS, with a LS engine. What I'm really trying to see is if I can make a standard FFR driveshaft work or if I need to just have one built locally. I can't seem to find much information on the available driveshaft measurements other than length. To determine if one of the standard shafts will fit, I need information on how that published length was measured.

I have the engine and trans and irs in the car testing the fit right now. I do have the ability to move the engine forward or back at least one inch in either direction. Right now my measurement from the face of the irs driveshaft adapter to the back of the TKO output shaft case is about 11". The pic below shows were my trans is at the moment.

IMG_1959.JPG
    Last edited by jcrumpley; 08-04-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found the info I needed in the appendix of the base manual. Drawings, measurements, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    I building a TKO600, IRS, with a LS engine.
    Wait, WHAT?! Oh man, I'm sure GoDadGo will be happy and will DEFINITELY speak up about another engine from the dark side! I can't speak for your exact setup, I'm LS3 and new IRS but with a monstrous T56Magnum which means an extremely short driveshaft. In fact it isn't even a driveshaft, it's the center hub of a CV joint for a multi-ton heavy truck.

Chances are really good that you'll just need a custom driveshaft made since an LS isn't anything FFR planned for the Roadster. My suggestion is to follow measuring recommendations from a custom driveshaft shop and then compare it to FFR options. You may get really lucky and find one that will work. Remember, the slip yoke has a significant amount of "slipping" capabilities to allow for movement of the axle. Since you're fixed IRS, you have a ton of adjustability since there is no movement. So if you measure that you need a 14" driveshaft but FFR has a 13" one, that should work. You just need to ensure you have at least half of the splines on the slip yoke engaged with the tranny output shaft.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    TJ,

Thanks for the photo of yours. I have a little more room to work. From looking at other photos, my TKO seems to have ended up about the same location as the ford engine would put it. I think I'm just going to have it made locally now.

Next up is dealing with a power steering pulley interfering with the steering shaft, and then on to custom exhaust.

I'm test fitting all of the drive train before putting in any aluminum panels beyond the f panels and the firewall. I'll pull the engine and transmission back out on the drivetrain has all been test fitted.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Shaft for sale if your interested, PM me.20170804_145237 (1).jpg
    Build 1: MkIV Roadster #8675. Deliv: 8/15/2015.
    FFR MkIV complete kit. / 5.0 Coyote Motor / T56 Magnum Trans / 2015 IRS / 18' Halibrand w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires
    FFMetal: Firewall Forward, Trans Tunnel top, Battery Box, Fan Shroud
    Russ Thompson: Turn signal Assembly, Trunk Box Mod.
    Breeze: SS Roll Bars(2), Power Steering rack, and much more.
    Mike Forte: supplied 5.0 Coyote & T56 Magnum Trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a PM..

Quote Originally Posted by wirelessnut View Post
    I have Shaft for sale if your interested, PM me.20170804_145237 (1).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did my 2015 IRS retrofit, I called a local drive shaft shop and asked how he wanted me to measure. He said give me the distance from the edge of the trans seal to the diff flange. He did the rest. So I also recommend you contact a local guy and tell him what you have and ask him what he needs from you. From what I can tell, this is like a lot of other things. The guys who do it for a living can do dang near anything and it's actually pretty easy for them.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.