Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rear koni

Post Thanks / Like

rear koni

Put my rear Konis together and installed for the rear suspension, the left one on bottom mount has a 1/4 inch gap with the spacers installed, right side is fine. Its a 4 link set up, what am I missing? Looked through the manual and it says use 1/8 and big spacer on bottom.
    Last edited by feadam; 08-05-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone with a four link have a picture of the left lower mount when using koi coil overs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Stick enough washers in there, away from the end of the shock to fill the gap.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this common? So I don't have a messed up traction lock bracket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how common it is but I have seen plenty of discussions about the shock being either too close to the back of the axle, or too close to the panhard bracket on a 3 link. Also, on all of the shocks, it's not unusual to need to shim the spacer sleeves a little. Seems to me FFR gets them kind of 'close' and also the space between the mount ears is somewhat variable due to warping while welding. Can you post a pic so we can compare?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    will try to get picture today when i get back home. Two thick washers are needed to fill gap, should they go on 1/8 shim side?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to shim the spacers on my upper rear shock mounts as well, but I have IRS. Mine look like this:

IMG_1323 by jhsitton, on Flickr

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_7954.JPGPicture of washers in left lower koni upside down

Post Thanks / Like
    Feadam your pic looks fine to me.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feadam View Post
    IMG_7954.JPGPicture of washers in left lower koni upside down
    Freadam,

Make sure that your shocks can flex back and forth with those washers in place. If they can, then all is right with the world, or at least your rear shocks.

Also, I have the 3 Link set up and have large and small spacers for my lower Koni mounts. To improve shock angle I did buy quite a few of these spacers to do a little adjusting to get everything aligned just right for my O.C.D. Brain and did a little adjustment on the top side mounts as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...6%2B4294850307

Remember that tolerances can be off a bit based on your rear end choice, pinion angle, bracket locations so remember always to think about your U-Joint Phasing during the rear end set up.

https://youtu.be/Idk3BVDVHq4

In addition, since you are running a 4-Link, consider getting adjustable upper control arms like these pieces sold by Spohn Performance.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/Factory-Fi...ot-Joints.html

Good Luck & Have A Great Build Because A Dream Car Is In The Making!

Steve

PS: I've purchsed a set of custom lower control arms from Spohn and their work and product quality is quite good.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-07-2017 at 07:31 AM.