BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood Lock Handles Location

Post Thanks / Like

Hood Lock Handles Location

We are noticing that the hood lock handles on most cars are in the direct line of sight for the driver / passenger. Was wondering if there is an issue to mount them on the sides of the top of the hood. In that case the cam lock could latch against the frame tube. is there anything wrong with thiss idea?

Comments please
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong w/ your idea except it will look a little off. But I have never heard of anyone saying the handles were in their way. Apparently most people's line of sight is high enough it is not an issue. How about you make up something from masking tape that is the same height as the handles and see if it will be a problem for you?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, after some thought we have decided to put them where they should be. My kit came with hood pins as well, anyone know whay we would use them as well?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    My kit came with hood pins as well, anyone know whay we would use them as well?
    The hood pins were typically used in the front, with the latches in the rear, on those cars that did not have the hood hinge kit such as the base and spec racer models.
    They've got a couple little brackets that are used for the hood pins that are also not needed since you have the hinge kit.
    Since your kit came with both hinges and pins, the pins are not needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you decided to stay with the location you've seen on other builds. As already stated, they're not an issue at all for line of sight while driving. One other consideration: What I've used, and recommended by others, is to mount the latches 12 inches from the center of the hood, roughly 2-1/4 inches from back edge. This location helps to pull the hood down into the hood opening for a better fit. Something having them more out at the corners may not do.

Also as stated, the hood pins and brackets aren't used with hood hinges and latches. Honestly don't know why these are still included with the kit when the hood hinges are the norm.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Early MK-I & MK-II's did not come with any hood hinges, they were strictly an option, hence, the hood pins.

I have them on mine but for looks only, I got the MK-II hood hinge purchased/installed after a few years of looking for a place to set the hood because it wasn't "attached" to the car.
    Go with the hood hinge at all costs . . . and mount the latches where they would "normally" go - you won't be sorry.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might also look at how the hood matches the curve of the cowl looking toward the car from the front. Many seem to end up w/ the rear hood corners being high. In that case, moving the latches out further toward the sides, and putting bumper or two in the center, let's the latches help pull down the corners.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.