Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818S Seatbelts

Post Thanks / Like

818S Seatbelts

Has anyone else had an issue with figuring-out how to mount/route the stock 2006 WRX donor car seat belts/shoulder straps; into the kit? Capt. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they the wagon or sedan belts? I've had enough issues with the sedan belts locking up on me that i will be switching to 4 point harnesses. When the belt locks up it requires the removal of the shoulder mounting point to unlock.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not positive but pretty sure you can expect that the seat-belt spool, regardless of Subaru or other brand, must be installed as level as possible. If it has a tilt on it, there is every chance it will be more sensitive to locking up. I believe they are typically designed to (1) lock at sudden extension and (2) lock in a tip/rollover. I think a combination of the two increases the sensitivity, so mounting off-level makes them even more likely to lock during each extension event. I tested two Subie and two Lexus units, different designs, but both acted this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can pop the case off and remove the orange box with the weight.. this will at least fix the lockup issue... there are 3 plastic pins you push out of the cover clips and then it pops off easily. it will still lock at sudden extension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seatbeltsplus.com
    A pair of these are working well for me, plus you can pick your color.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete,

where did you end up mounting your outboard points on the 3 point? I am running a 3 point for daily and 6 point for track days. I am struggling with the idea of drilling through the frame side rail for the outboard mounting point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SnyderJD View Post
    Pete,

where did you end up mounting your outboard points on the 3 point? I am running a 3 point for daily and 6 point for track days. I am struggling with the idea of drilling through the frame side rail for the outboard mounting point.
    Drill that side frame rail concerned me also. Long in my past, I worked tubular aircraft frames for old tail dragger aircraft. When there was a modification to a tube for whatever reason, one of several correct methods was to drill the hole oversize, insert and weld a tube of the proper ID (for the bolt) into large tube. This method results in a stronger than original design as you have added more structure to this area and will not let the tube collapse when compression is applied (such as when tightening the bolt). I used a mild steel tube of .625 OD and about .440" ID which will allow a 7/16 bolt to secure the seatbelt to the frame. Your local Lowes, Ace Hardware, or Home Depot may have appropriate mild steel tube. I ordered from Online Metals so I could get very close to ID and OD to fit into the square frame tube of the chassis.

I am sure Pete will reply, as he has ample real experience in an on road car (as I am still building). But I am using the wgon belts as they seem to be better located than the sedan belts (available on eBay).
    Last edited by fastzrex; 08-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo