Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thinking of selling 7074 - pros / cons

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of selling 7074 - pros / cons

Hey everyone -

After years of being a wannabe, five years of a meticulous build, and almost three summers of driving, I'm starting to entertain ideas of selling 7074. I'm not all the way there yet, so would like to hear from those of you who have contemplated, decided against, or actually did sell your car after so much blood, sweat, and tears.

After being down for the past few weeks, it's back on the road and better than ever - carb has been blueprinted, maintenance items taken care of, and brand new Gas-N pipes. If I were to sell it, now would be the time.

Details -

Old school period-correct build in '65 Ford Ivy Green with black leather interior
    347 carb'd on a semi-donor build (and everything that came from the '94 SVT Cobra was gone through - engine block, head castings, T-5 trans, rear end, brake/clutch pedals, parking brake, etc....).
    15" FFR wheels with Avon CR6-ZZ radials
    Tons of character and details - more to list if I actually do a for-sale thread

So, please share your stories of euphoria, regret, and in-between.

Also - for those of you who did sell your FFR, where did you find the best response to your advertisement?

A few pics -

Last edited by Gumball; 08-09-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never sold a ffr but sold many others I have built. I never become too attached to them as I try not to love anything or anyone that cannot love me back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't even finished mine yet but I doubt I'll keep it forever. It's not an original classic that is going to escalate in value. I'm building it for the experience, the challenge and for the love of the car but at some point I expect I will want to do something else. Like most, there are only so many spaces in my garage.

Do you still enjoy driving it? Does it still fit your lifestyle/family? Some other project on the horizon?

The good thing about these cars is that they seem to plateau in value. You are not going to see one roll across the auction block in a few years at 10x todays market price. Now's a good time because you have it all freshened up but if you want to drive it a few more years and freshen it up again it's value wont change dramatically. If there is something else you want to build, restore or buy, go for it. If you are forced to sell it, as happens to many, at least you know you can build another just like it if circumstances change.
    Good Luck. Love that car BTW.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't answer your questions but will say yours is a stunner and one my favs.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you thinking to replace it with?
    GT40??

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.... some more info.

Was enjoying it a bunch, but it's lately become to feel like it's just another "mouth to feed." Between 7074, my new GT350 (can't leave well enough alone), the wife's '67 Camaro, and my '65 Mustang vintage race car project (stalled due to too many other things going on), it seems like I don't have much time to drive, let alone work on all of these.

Add in that for the past year my work schedule has been crazy, so I don't get out into the shop in the evenings like I used to do, and home life has been keeping me hopping with projects around the house, and it has just begun to seem more like work than fun, sometimes.

So, I'm toying with either selling it or parking it for a while - maybe just put it away in the trailer and focus on other things for a while. I hate to see it sit, but then again, would probably regret letting it go.

Oh yeah, and it's not a question of space - lots of that at my shop - or cash flow.... just not sure I want to leave it sit, but know that I'm sort of out-of-love with it at the moment in favor of all those other things mentioned above.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, I really wish I had your problems. Plenty of space, plenty of cash, plenty of fun projects. Oh the humanity of it all. 😩😌. In all seriousness, if you no longer want it and are willing to take the hit on selling it for way less than you have into it then by all means. IMHO with all the time and attention to detail you put into it you will probably regret it. Only way I would get rid of mine was to take on a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.... some more info.

Was enjoying it a bunch, but it's lately become to feel like it's just another "mouth to feed." Between 7074, my new GT350 (can't leave well enough alone), the wife's '67 Camaro, and my '65 Mustang vintage race car project (stalled due to too many other things going on), it seems like I don't have much time to drive, let alone work on all of these.

Add in that for the past year my work schedule has been crazy, so I don't get out into the shop in the evenings like I used to do, and home life has been keeping me hopping with projects around the house, and it has just begun to seem more like work than fun, sometimes.

So, I'm toying with either selling it or parking it for a while - maybe just put it away in the trailer and focus on other things for a while. I hate to see it sit, but then again, would probably regret letting it go.

Oh yeah, and it's not a question of space - lots of that at my shop - or cash flow.... just not sure I want to leave it sit, but know that I'm sort of out-of-love with it at the moment in favor of all those other things mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oddly, I can relate. Time, there's never enough of it and it becomes the scarce resource. Two questions that may help with the decision:

(1) Would you ever want it or want to build another one in the future? If yes, keep it. It's far easier/cheaper just to store it.
    (2) Do you have or planning on building something else that checks they box that this car does?

Mine is my first 'kit' and 8th car I've built from the ground up. All the others I have long ago sold, mostly to fund other projects or parts of my life. I don't regret selling any of them. As I get older I'm more inclined to just store them (it's cheaper) unless they don't 'check that box' for me anymore or I have another toy that take's its place. Everyone has their own motivations. Sleep on it for a season and then if you still feel the same way in spring, pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    My uncle has had a pretty spectacular line of cars over the years. When I started building he told me "toy cars are like shirts. You don't want to wear the same one every day for the rest of your life." Cant imagine selling mine just now but I am sure the time will come.
    Another good thing I heard was when you park your car and walk away if you don't turn around a take an extra look at it then it might be time to move on.
    Nothing wrong with heading in a new direction if you just don't have the passion for it you once did.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd keep until next May or so. See how you feel about over the winter, see how anxious you are to get it out on the first nice spring day. Then, if it's no big thrill any more, sell it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Add in that for the past year my work schedule has been crazy, so I don't get out into the shop in the evenings like I used to do, and home life has been keeping me hopping with projects around the house,
    obviously everyone's situation is different, so this isn't at all intended to guide you one way or another.

BUT, These were the same reasons I sold my '65 Chevy Impala 2 door sport coupe 9 years ago..........I still think of her. If I had had the room, I would have stored her until those things passed. 9 years later.....regret it.

Here's a photo I still have at my desk. The wheels are ones I was going to purchase. they are photoshopped onto the photo.

Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I sold my MK3 recently after five years of ownership. During the last year, it became a mental effort to push myself to drive it. Don't know why, but the novelty had worn off and during the last eight months of ownership, I had logged less that 200 miles on it. I didn't build it, so didn't have the personal relationship with it.

During the time I owned it, three friends had indicated an interest in buying if I ever sold it. So I sent an email to them naming a price and giving them first dibs. One of them responded within three hours that he would buy the car and the deal was done two days later. He didn't question the price and I sold it for $500 more that I paid five years ago.

Had he or the others not bought it, I guess I would have listed it with the folks in the local Cobra club. There are several there who are lurkers and not owners or builders. After that, I guess my next option would have been Craig's List.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some passions wane as we get older. This happens to all of us; as our toys often reflect different stages of our lives.

I used to lug around and set up massive telescopes, now I specialize in smaller, more exquisite scopes that seems to better mirror my age.

My wife and I now drive a Tacoma and a Corolla, the Mustangs and Mitsubishi sports cars are just pleasant memories.

Gumball, one day you'll wake up and know its time to sell the roadster.

Da Bear
    Last edited by ursa5000; 08-10-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, that car is truly a stunning build! Seeing it grow during the half a decade it took to build it was inspiring. I'd hate to see it go, but if you keep it I'd be more than happy to exercise it for you! From time to time my car seems a bit lack luster, but I fire her up and that feeling evaporates! It's a shame more of our community hasn't seen that car in person!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have had the pleasure of seeing your Cobra in person now a few times. Once when you were here for my first start. Likely the most well thought-out build that I will see for some time. And oh so authentic. And, as a bonus, have ridden in it. After the ride, it energized me get back to work on mine. And, your advise has been invaluable. If you had spent a year or 2 building it, the decision to move on wouldn't be too difficult. But, with 5 years of your blood, sweat and tears in it, will make it a difficult decision. I don't envy you.

I would suggest enjoying the remainder of this season, tucking it in your trailer (which by the way I may need to get mine to the painter) for the winter months and revisiting the idea in the spring. I would suspect it would move quickly if that's your decision.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can, store it. loosen valve springs, vacuum pack, etc and keep it warm and out of harms way. I regret selling my GTD40 constantly.. 20 years later. Better to have some time off and leave your options open. I envy your financial position that gives you that option. Kudos!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sold 3 of my FFR cars all on this forum. Use the for sale section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You asked for pros/cons.

Pros:
    Frees up cash
    Frees up space (everybody can use more space)
    Frees up time to devote to your racer
    More driving time in the GT
    No more "Is that a real Cobra"
    Not worrying about any future gremlins

Cons:
    You may regret selling it after all your effort
    I won't see it in person again
    Your kids looking forward to inheritance...forget that
    Missing people giving you the "thumbs up" as you drive by
    One less Cobra owner for me to cruise with
    To ride in a replica, you ride shotgun in your wife's camaro. Probably not so bad.

That's all for now.

Jay
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a car show a couple of years ago, when a well dressed young couple (middle east origins) came by and stopped to look at the car. I'm a sucker for pretty girls so I opened the drivers door and asked the young lady if she would like to sit in it. She got in and her partner and I stood back and admired. I commented on how the beauty of a women is complimented by the stunning lines of the roadster. He leaned over and with a straight face and serious tone asked "how much can I give you for this car"? Caught me off guard. I said not for sale. I was just having too much fun with it. It did make me think though, and I have since come up with a number if I was ever in that situation again. For me, it will be easy to let it go if there's another to be assembled waiting in the garage.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 08-11-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys, for all the responses - and the texts and PM's, too - as this and the passage of a couple nights has helped me come to a decision.

There is no way I can sell this car - not now, for sure and probably not for a long time, if ever - so I'm going to hold tight. I love its look, sound, and the feel of the interior. Every nut and bolt is me, through and through. There are some things that after driving it for a while I'd change, but I'm not in the mood to do that right now. Also, I'd like to shift over to working on the '65 Mustang for a while and have some time to do other (non-car) things.

So, into the trailer it will go after being prepped for long term storage - much like putting it away for the winter. The plan now is to decide next spring if I'm ready to pull it back out or if I'll leave it tucked away until the '65 is done - which is more likely.

Thanks again, everyone, for making me remember how special these cars are to each of us, and particularly how special this one is to me.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Helicopter Wrench-Bender ChopperJustin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, if you don't mind my asking - what things would you change? I'm considering a very similar set-up as 7074 and I'f love to hear your thoughts after driving and maintaining her for a while now - Thank you!
    "Gravity, It's The Law"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperJustin View Post
    Chris, if you don't mind my asking - what things would you change? I'm considering a very similar set-up as 7074 and I'f love to hear your thoughts after driving and maintaining her for a while now - Thank you!
    Justin - I have a bit of a confession to make.... I couldn't bring myself to park it in the trailer and, since opening this thread just a few weeks ago, I've put nearly another 1,000 miles on it - dang, but I sure do love driving this car!!!

As for changes, I used the transmission and bellhousing out of a donor '94 SVT Cobra, which had a two-year only bellhousing depth and input shaft length, so it's somewhat of an orphan transmission. Since I still have some free-play in the tail shaft bushing, the repair process is a bit complicated as I can't just swap out the old trans for a brand new one without having issues with input shaft length and shifter opening location in the tunnel. So, I'll have to either do a fair bit of work to swap out the old for the new or I'll have the existing trans completely rebuilt.

Before having the carb blue printed, I would have said that another change would be fuel injection of some sort, but the carb guys did a great job and the old Holley 650 is performing better than ever.

Finally, at first I wasn't completely sold on the Gas-N pipes.... although a bit mellower and maybe just a bit quieter at higher RPM, there is a deep resonance at 1,600 - 1,800 RPM that really bothers my ears. I've learned to live with it, though, and overall I'm happy with the new pipes and no longer thinking of going back to a fresh set of the standard FFR pipes.

That's about it - realized that I still love the car, but I accept that I'll have to make a decision on the transmission sometime soon. But for now, it's staying out of storage until winter gets here.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

I have to confess that I am thrilled that you decided to keep your car! It is really a wonderful example of a new build that is a fantastic recreation of the originals. I can't imagine how hard some of those details were to emulate, and you did a terrific job. I think you would have regretted selling it before it left your driveway!

I have also enjoyed your posts about mods for originality!

I am pleased that you will continue to get to enjoy her!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, It was great to see you over the weekend. That car is a stunner and I'm very glad you're keeping it! The Rustang needs a vintage stable mate!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!