Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pictures of digital Vintage Air Install

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of digital Vintage Air Install

Installed the evaporator of new Vintage Air 66005-VUZ-A A/C system today.This is the Gen II mini which fits in 818 quite nicely. This system is allelectronic without any cables needed
    to adjust temp, defrost or any other mode. It does run to drivers side of tunnel and the alum panel of a console will cover it up.
    Pictures attached for those interested how it fits and where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good!

What wiring harness are you using for the chassis?

Post Thanks / Like
    I took my donor harness of 50+ pounds and discarded all but the connectors and part of engine harness. Using a Microsquirt V3 and doing my own harness since I did wiring for many years
    on various factory road race programs. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, keep us posted with pics and info.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A note on how the control works - it's not like a modern car with a variable displacement, computer controlled compressor in a climate control system. The thermostat will turn the compressor on and the discharge air temp should drop into the 36-46 degree range, but only for a minute or so. The compressor then turns off and the temp will rise to around 50, before the compressor comes on again.

Be sure to install a trinary safety switch. A binary switch will not work properly, since it does not turn the electric fan on in response to condenser pressure.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait till you try to connect round hoses to those oblong pipes.It goes but PIA I used wire ties to keep them on.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    DaveS53- VA sells dryer with trinary switch so I got that- it saves 2 fittings too.

Worked on console now that ac evaporator is installed and I can see what room is available. Using 0.080 aluminum with top cover having overlay of real carbon sheet.
    Pictures attached.

Have tab at top of cover to support top of console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Frank, for posting pics of the new unit. It fits nicely and has 5 outlets versus 3 outlets on the previous unit I installed. BTW, the system keeps me cool at 100+ degrees here in the AZ desert so I think you'll like it at 90 muggy degrees. You do nice work.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Thanks, Frank, for posting pics of the new unit. It fits nicely and has 5 outlets versus 3 outlets on the previous unit I installed. BTW, the system keeps me cool at 100+ degrees here in the AZ desert so I think you'll like it at 90 muggy degrees. You do nice work.
    Actually it is the same 3 outlets. I bought the heat, cool, defrost model and the other 2 are defrost outlets. Not much need for defrost in Az.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    FrankC5R,

I know this is an old thread, but was looking for the pictures of your vintage air install. It looks like the update website deleted or moved them. Any chance I can get a copy of that install?

Thanks

Bill