Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Accessing brake fluid reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Accessing brake fluid reservoir

I'm pretty sure I won't like the answer, but what is the best way to add brake fluid to the master cylinder? I noticed one of my rear brake line connections was leaking and want to top off the fluid as I do not know how much has leaked out. Do I need to take off the windshield and/or dash?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tgf05354 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I won't like the answer, but what is the best way to add brake fluid to the master cylinder? I noticed one of my rear brake line connections was leaking and want to top off the fluid as I do not know how much has leaked out. Do I need to take off the windshield and/or dash?

Thanks
    I really disliked that about my 818 - I ended up cutting an access panel in my dash. Works perfectly, so much so that I changed out the entire master cylinder on my car. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to cut the apron of the windshield to access the brake master, then add fluid via a tube. You can cut a portion of the windshield apron without harming it. Actually, I cut off most of the horizontal lip after Tony at Factory Five said to leave just an inch or so it would not warp. For this reason, a lot of builders bought the remote reservoir kit from Mike Everson, shown in this photo.
    Apron trimmed - left.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I was looking at the remote reservoir set up, but figured I still needed access to add that. I've already trimmed the apron a bit for my wiper, so I'll try trimming some more to get to the M/C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, cutting back the apron didn't give me enough room to the reservoir, so I'm going to remove the dash next and if that doesn't work, the windshield. Another PITA 818 design!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used a shot glass sized cup and was able to snake my hands around to fill it that way. Have a rag and water ready because you will spill some.

A large syringe or small turkey baster may also work as a temporary fix if you don't want to cut the surround right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my first enhancements, very easy to remove and access. This is V1, it's on V3 (added winged Dzus fasteners as well as an adjustible center hood brace).

FZrYtOJ.png
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Gave it another try this morning and was successful in getting the cap off. Used a syringe and tubing to refill the reservoir. What a PITA. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a long time. I'll probably purchase the remote reservoir and install it over the winter along with the hydramat which I've discovered is necessary after some fuel starvation going around a long right hand sweeper with half a tank of gas! For now I'll try and keep the tank full and not push it in the sweepers. I need to break in my new engine and don't want to take the time to start tearing apart the car right now. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tgf05354 View Post
    Gave it another try this morning and was successful in getting the cap off. Used a syringe and tubing to refill the reservoir. What a PITA. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a long time. I'll probably purchase the remote reservoir and install it over the winter along with the hydramat which I've discovered is necessary after some fuel starvation going around a long right hand sweeper with half a tank of gas! For now I'll try and keep the tank full and not push it in the sweepers. I need to break in my new engine and don't want to take the time to start tearing apart the car right now. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
    Next time, all that you need is to go to Autozone or Advance Auto, they have this handy fluid pump that strews on to the top of the bottle of oil/hydraulic fluid. I use these things for fulling diffs, difficult to reach transmissions, master cylinders that are hidden under dashes - anything! They are a life saver. Plus, considering they screw on the bottle, makes it less mess too!

Post Thanks / Like
    The hard part is getting the cap off and then back on the reservoir. Filling was relatively easy with my syringe and tubing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you guys are talking about.
    I cut my Fiberglass shroud a bit higher and I have access to both brake and clutch master cylinders.
    I can use an off the shelf brake fluid container with a long neck bottle.
    IMG_1266.jpg
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice cuts on that Harley.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.