BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fast xfi 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Fast xfi 2.0

I would like your feedback, positive or negative, if you have used the FAST XFI 2.0 fuel injection package on your roadster or other FFR build. I am considering having it installed on my new build 427W and would like to know if you all think it is a good choice or not. Thanks.

(Reposted from wrong thread)
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done quite a few and am a FAST dealer. I guess it really depends on what you are after. If you are looking for a simple system you can bolt on and self learn there are others that are more cost effective and easier to use. If you are using stacks with a really aggressive can a big heads is where the XFI will be a great advantage.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gordon, thanks for the reply. I am looking for a reliable, simple system. I will be driving from sea level to 6000 feet ocasionally and was told EFI is the way to go and I would have problems with a carb. I thought the additional capability of the XFI would be desirable. Especially the traction control feature. Main goal is trouble free operation! Blueprint only offers the FAST line of fuel injection and I would really like to know about it's reputation. Also maybe drivability of a carburated engine at altitude? Thanks.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend a different system for you. Feel free to call me and we can talk.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm tuned at 700 feet and have run a carb at 6,000 feet many times for summer cruises west of Denver. It will be rich but not terribly so and you can drop a few jet sizes if you want. As you go higher the problems will amplify. I've been to 13,000 or more, not great but we had a dozen other similar cars there. You can feel the reduction in power. Over 8 or 9,000 you'll probably want to change power valves too as these will be too high and the low air pressure will keep them too close to open. Then there's fuel vapor lock.

EFI should solve many or most of the problems but I wouldn't make the change for an occasional drive in the mountains. Unless of course you want EFI.

Jim

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're traveling from sea level to 6,000' ASL you'll be happier with EFI. The rule of thumb for Holley carbs & their clones is to change one main jet size for every 2,000' of density altitude change. And as mentioned above, don't forget the power valve change as the atmospheric pressure drops. I live at 7,000' ASL and on a hot day density altitude can exceed 10,000'. A carb tuned for sea level is going to be very fat up here in the summer. Besides a significant drop in power from running too rich that's not really good for the rings as a very rich condition tends to wash oil off the cylinder walls. The loss of power at altitude is noticeable but when running too rich can be significant. Each year we have flatlander pilots fly up here and when leaving fail to properly lean for best power. Some never make it out of ground effect and crash off the end of the runway as they are already down on power from the density altitude but running fat rich decreases power even more. EFI will constantly compensate for atmospheric conditions that require a mixture change. The car will start better in cold weather, idle better, and cruise at the correct mixture level regardless of density altitude change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    I would like your feedback, positive or negative, if you have used the FAST XFI 2.0 fuel injection package on your roadster or other FFR build. I am considering having it installed on my new build 427W and would like to know if you all think it is a good choice or not. Thanks.

(Reposted from wrong thread)
    We had issues with the EZ FAST 2.0 self learning. Engine is a 408 with an Inglese stack. FAST 2.0 kept changing the base information we input and kept kicking out of self learning mode. After speaking with techs at FAST, searching the internet for known issues and troubleshooting multiple resolution steps we finally scrapped the 2.0. We went with the FAST Sportsman since it uses the same wiring but offers a manually input tune in addition to self learning. We are currently running a tune that we have entered and tweaked.