Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pre-dyno wiring check

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-dyno wiring check

Hi All,

Maybe this is pretty elementary for some of you.... and maybe most of you Subaru guys would have caught an engine running on 3 cylinders....

I learned the hard way today that it would be a good idea to pre-check the wiring harness to your engine.
    Especially make sure that the wires from the ECU to the injectors and wiring to the coils is good.
    My boost controller is also not working..... not sure yet if its wiring or faulty controller.
    In any case, I should have checked the wiring for continuity before.....don't know why I didn't...... probably just thought that since it started first key turn, that all would be OK.
    My tuner says sometimes the Subaru connectors have a pin bent or other issue.

Apparently I was running on 3 cylinders for a week!
    Me being new to Subaru engines, I was thinking that the Subaru Burble was pretty burbly..... and it sounded pretty good.
    It didn't pull the way I thought it should, but I thought that it just needed a tune....

Now it sounds way better, and lots more power, but we wasted an hour at the Dyno.

Just thought I would mention this in case you haven't done a wiring check....... I used the dieted donor wiring, so I should have.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Hi All,

Maybe this is pretty elementary for some of you.... and maybe most of you Subaru guys would have caught an engine running on 3 cylinders....

Harley,
    I also showed up a my dyno with problems.
    I did don't have my VSS speedo hooked up yet. This will limit RPM.
    I did not have a pedal stop, this caused car to go into limp mode if pushing WOT.
    It extend my dyno time buy an hour.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You'd be really surprised at the cars that show up to my dyno for testing that are no where near ready to tune. Missing on one cylinder is not that bad in comparison
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    On my first turbo dodge build, I ran the plug wires counter-clockwise around the distributor and ran that sucker on TWO cylinders for a full week. Even my buddy thought it was fast, lol. I thought he was going to crap his pants the first time we went for a ride after I figured out what I did wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley818 View Post
    Hi All,

Apparently I was running on 3 cylinders for a week!
    Me being new to Subaru engines, I was thinking that the Subaru Burble was pretty burbly..... and it sounded pretty good.
    It didn't pull the way I thought it should, but I thought that it just needed a tune....

Now it sounds way better, and lots more power, but we wasted an hour at the Dyno.

Just thought I would mention this in case you haven't done a wiring check....... I used the dieted donor wiring, so I should have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    On my first turbo dodge build, I ran the plug wires counter-clockwise around the distributor and ran that sucker on TWO cylinders for a full week. Even my buddy thought it was fast, lol. I thought he was going to crap his pants the first time we went for a ride after I figured out what I did wrong.
    That last one made me laugh.

Thanks guys. And yes Bob, it cost me an extra hour as well. But with the results, I was happy to pay!
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015