Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Realistic Build Costs?

Post Thanks / Like

Realistic Build Costs?

After a few years of not tinkering with anything, i've gotten the itch to build another car. Run across the Type 65's on and off the last few years and like the fact i can skip the tear down, rust repair, etc of resto-modding a car and just ran across the R which makes me want one yesterday

Starting to do my research, and trying to get together a realistic budget. Last build (1975 FJ40 into a rock crawler) everyone said multiply your cost by 2-3x and you'll probably have a realistic number, which turned out to be the case, but I also changed directions after purchasing the vehicle.

Outside of what they tell you they need (below), what are the unexpected costs and parts in building these and realistic build cost without going all out?
    • Engine/Transmission/Rear End with Rear Brakes
    • Wheels and Tires
    • Paint
    • Battery
    • Fuel pump

Post Thanks / Like
    You may get people to give you ranges. But build costs for any of the models, including the Coupe, are all over the place. So there's no one answer. Obviously it's going to make a difference what options you choose at the initial kit order. Engine prices can vary widely from $1K salvage to $20K or more for various custom engines. And everything in between. Brakes can be donor/salvage Mustang parts to $2K Wilwoods. Paint is also widely variable depending on DIY, high end, something in between, etc. Other variables include finish (or not) on aluminum panels, heat/sound insulation, and HVAC (highly recommended for the Coupe). Those are the high points I can think of. Finally, a lot is going to depend on how much you build the kit in stock form versus a lot of customizations.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't speak for the gen 3 coupe but people here have build the gen 2 for anywhere between $30-65K
    Paint is a big X factor. People on the lower end of cost have usually tackled that part on their own. Expect to pay $7-12K on paint depending on quality.
    My build has lasted almost 9 years so far, and I'm getting ready for paint now. Because of that I have been able to source parts when I saw good deals. That saved me a ton of money, and my car is pretty well optioned for the total cost I'll have in it by the time it's done.
    I did use a donor car which also saved $$ as I sold the left over stang for more then I paid for it, getting out the engine,trans,axle and brakes.

HTH

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently quoted a Coupe for a customer. It came to about $60,000.00 complete.
    Here are some of the particulars
    Complete kit from FFR $32,000.00 with options
    Coyote Drivetrain. $13,000.00
    2015 IRS
    A/C
    17 inch wheels
    $6500.00 for paint
    $10,000.00 labor
    $600.00 for tires

Gives you a pretty good idea.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm more after the unexpected build costs and how inclusive the complete kit really is.

Is the kit really that inclusive with brake lines, hardware, fittings, wiring (minus engine harness) etc? Or do most people find they get nickled and dimed to death.

Kit I'm looking at is ~28,500, seeing 8k is realistic for 5.0 and 6 speed from a wrecked mustang, still trying to find irs costs and wiring costs. .

How often do they do sales? Would be nice to save a few grand upfront since it seems like one of those builds you need a good bit to get going.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be prepared to spend between 2-4K on misc stuff not coming with the kit. Ex. Tires, battery , fuel pump, fluids and various glues and misc.
    Also don't forget cost to paint the car.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I into my MK-4 between 32-35K and still counting.
    It is a complete kit with all new parts, except the block, but my car is Chevy powered so some custom parts were needed since it's not a cookie cutter build.
    I still need to do body work and paint, but that's not going to exceed 2-3K since the final spray out will be painted at my pal's shop.
    Expect to be complete between 37-40K total.
    For a Type-65, I think you could add another 5-10K to the deal totally out at 50K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 75' forty View Post
    I guess I'm more after the unexpected build costs and how inclusive the complete kit really is.

Is the kit really that inclusive with brake lines, hardware, fittings, wiring (minus engine harness) etc? Or do most people find they get nickled and dimed to death.

Kit I'm looking at is ~28,500, seeing 8k is realistic for 5.0 and 6 speed from a wrecked mustang, still trying to find irs costs and wiring costs. .

How often do they do sales? Would be nice to save a few grand upfront since it seems like one of those builds you need a good bit to get going.
    Yes, the kit is that complete. Brake lines, hardware, fittings, chassis/dash wiring, etc. Of course that assumes you use everything provided in the kit. Many of us have the unhappy habit of changing things. Kills the budget and leaves leftover parts. Pretty sure you're going to need the Ford Racing $1800 controls pack to get that Mustang 5.0 running. The donor computer, harness, etc. isn't typically suitable for transplant. Just make sure to get the right one. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 Coyotes are quite different. The required 2015+ IRS parts are often available in salvage for $1K or less. Sometimes even including the right rear brake parts if you want to go that way. Or can you buy NIB parts (center section, knuckles, hubs) from Ford for a few hundred more. I said I wouldn't cite ranges, but IMO Mike's $60K number is probably the right place to start. Although I haven't seen a paint job offered for $6500 or tires for $600. Like everything, depends on what choices you make.

The Gen 3 Coupe hasn't been offered for sale yet. Given how new it is and the seeming popularity, maybe not any time soon. Hope I'm wrong. Planning to order one soon myself.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-13-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same questions about cost before ordering my kit and what I did was spend about three months planning and refining my build. The kit pricing with/without options from Factory Five is easy to determine right from their web site. Then, add in transportation costs on top of that. Next I started pricing the drive train. I ordered the rear end from Factory five, so I just needed to figure out the engine and transmission cost. I decided to buy a turn-key package from BluePrint Engines, so that price was also pretty well understood. I then called a painter and got a rough quote from him to do the body and paint work. During my research, I identified several items I knew I wanted to do that differed from the FF kit; FFMetal battery box, etc. and I listed all of those options and their prices. Finally, I took the total of all of those and added 10% for nuts/bolts, tools, etc. and that was my "realistic" budget number that I used to decide if building the car worked for me and my situation. Once the decision was made, I filed that data and will likely never actually tally the real cost of building the car. I know that it will be more than what I could have bought a finished car for and I don't care. Once the car is done, I'll need an appraisal for the insurance, but other than that I will consider this expense as "entertainment" and leave it at that.
    Last edited by Papa; 08-13-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post

$6500.00 for paint

Gives you a pretty good idea.
    Mike
    Mike,

Is that what you charge for a paint job, or is that a shop you use?

Thanks,

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    not me. The shop I use. $5000.00 for a roadster.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how deep you want to get into it. My roadster build, with just about every option and aftermarket part I could find added to it, plus lots of one-off changes put me all in at exactly $69,715.76. That's including all paint supplies, consumables, etc. and me doing all the body/paint work myself. That includes all the registration costs in Ma (2nd car and crushing it), car cover, corner balancing, clear bra, tune, everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    How inclusive the kit is depends a lot on how picky you are. I tossed at leased 50% of all supplied parts because nothing was quite good enough. Not bashing the kit, I'm just that picky and there is a price to be paid for it.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 75' forty View Post

They do sales at least once a year. You can save a couple grand if you order during a sale.
    The kit really is complete, down to the last nut and bolt. Their website is very detailed about what comes with the kit and what you need to supply.
    Figure the cost of the kit, and add the cost of everything else you need to build it the way you want. Then add the extra cost of whatever connecting pieces you need to bridge the gap between the kit and the parts you buy.
    I'll give you my example - I added A/C and heat. I purchased an HVAC kit roughly engineered for my car. I needed to fabricate brackets to mount the condenser, dryer, compressor, evaporator and all the heat and A/C lines. I purchased a tool to do the A/C crimps (or you could pay someone to crimp them). I had to buy different hose fittings to get the correct hose routing. Had to purchase heater hose, fittings and clamps. Had to purchase wire and loom and connectors, mounting brackets, a trinary switch, and a thermostat switch. Had to buy a vacuum pump and manifold gauge kit and freon (or pay someone to charge the system). These are the hidden costs you were talking about. If you put the kit together the way FFR intends it, you will reduce your cost and time. But you are still going to pay extra for coolant and oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt there will be any "sales" on the Gen 3 Coupe any time soon. It is a new product and likely quite popular.

Post Thanks / Like
    There will be specials on the new coupe, just sign up for their newsletter and you'll see when they do them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fall Sale Kicks Off September 5!
    Finish off your Labor Day barbeque, get the kids back in school, and get your tools ready because it's building season, and we're about to kick-off an awesome Fall Sale on September 5th on all Factory Five kits! Details coming soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-2017-special/ Free Set of Halibrand Wheels with Your Type 65 Coupe!